• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Life past 8000 rpm????

I have owned my black NSX for a litlle over two months now. I have been taking it very easy as the timing belt had not been replaced, and I am setting up a time to get it done. (60k / 10 years old.)

However, last night on my way to a great Valentine's day dinner at Salty's, I opened up the car on Marine drive.

In my red 91, the rev limiter kicked in just before 8000 RPM. The new car just kept creeping up.

It finally kicked in at 8400 RPM. I was about to let off the throttle in fear it would not kick in at all.

Could my tach be off? Do you think I have a chip? How can I get it back to stock?

I am not ready to put another engine in the car due to winding her up a little too tight.

Ken?

According to what I have read here on this site, the fuel shutoff is at 8300 RPM, so it may have been your red one that the tach was a little off.

~Chad.

If i'm right it kicks in at 8000 revs, it shows 8300 revs, which is just tolerance ( about 4%) of the gauge.
(sorry for bad wording)

Dutchy

[This message has been edited by DutchBlackNsx (edited 15 February 2002).]

So i'm wrong............

I remember a thread about it a while back (???).

Originally posted by HomeDepotNSX:
Well...I have a electronic meter attached to the ECU...and my 1995 NSX will actually rev to 8275rpm...

-Andie

That's funny I swear I took your car to over 9000rpm last summer at Gingerman--oh yea, that was a downshift.
eek3.gif

DanO

Originally posted by NSX_PDX:
In my red 91, the rev limiter kicked in just before 8000 RPM. The new car just kept creeping up.

Is it possible that you made this observation on your red '91 when the engine was still cold? Before the engine warms up, the ECU will limit the revs to something like 7300 to 7500 rpm, in order to protect it. Once it's warmed up, it will allow the engine to rev up to an indicated ~8300, as the others indicated.

Just to eliminate one other possibility, I assume your red '91 wasn't an automatic (automatics have a 7500 rpm redline)...

1. Redline (8000 RPM) does NOT equal fuel cut. Fuel cut doesn't occur until 8300 RPM

2. Most NSX tachs seem to read a little higher than actual RPM

Between the two, it is normal to see your tach a few hundred RPM past 8000 before you get fuel cut (assuming a manual tranny and the car being warmed up as nsxtasy noted).

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 February 2002).]

Back