• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Light flywheel...nescesary ???

Ok,

While i'm busy with my shortgears installation, a fellow dutch NSX owner gave me a Dali featherlight flywheel and Dali raceclutch.
The flywheel and clutch where involved in a engine failure, causing the clutch to slip, and therefore burning the metal of the clutch and flywheel pretty bad.

I binned the clutch, but would like to use the flywheel. The problem though is that the flywheel needs to be re-finished, and won't be done till tuesday, costing approx $200, and then the guy doesn't know if they can get all the cracks out of the material, which might not be a problem, as he said.
The problem is that the car must be up and running before a Friday when we will take off for the Monza (Italy) event.

I do not like the way the NSX revs, and a light flywheel would take care of that, but then, a light flywheel would wear the clutch much faster.

So the question is, does a light flywheel make a difference performance wise?

Mich

Mich,

Keep your stock flywheel !

Why ?

Because if you install your shortgears AND a light flywheel, your NSX will be much more fast than mine and that doesn't sound really good to me !
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by 5inchfatlip:
I second that one...I love light flywheels- makes the car feel so much lighter..

I would think hard about this. First, I have heard much more negative commentary about light-weight flywheels. True the revs come up fast, but the idle tends to be more quirky. Check the FAQs.

The flywheel needs to matched to the clutch. Rebuilt cluths come with a refinished flywheel. I would be concerned about the integrity of you light-weight given the circumstances. It may end up being too much trouble than its worth. Why risk it for questionable benefit.

Too late to risk a "maybe" that could ruin your trip if things go wrong and it needs to come back out.

However, I would disagree with this:

Originally posted by DutchBlackNsx:
... but then, a light flywheel would wear the clutch much faster.

If driven properly that should not be true. Although I see where it might be more likely for some people to slip the clutch a bit, the difference should be minimal.

I think it depends on how light we're talking.I've had a ct lightened flywheel that comes with thier sachs clutch and I think the difference is subtle.But then again that is how ct does mods, subtle changes make for less problems.

Back