• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LOL Corvette to lose power

Good! Today's horsepower numbers are insane. It's a race that has no finish line (except maybe concrete barriers or other cars)

Quote from the article:

"However, Wallace's own words are more telling, saying that the next 'Vette could be "more fuel efficient [and] even nimbler than it was before."

I guess they want to make it more like the NSX? :confused: :wink:

Quote from the article:

"However, Wallace's own words are more telling, saying that the next 'Vette could be "more fuel efficient [and] even nimbler than it was before."

They mentioned in the article that they wanted to shave 300-400lbs and with the current vette at 3179 that would mean it would weigh as much as a NSX-R. :eek: A 28xx pound car with a small V8 sounds awfully nice. If they make it mid-engined, sign me up! :biggrin:

Otto

"Chevy is looking to lighten the Corvette's weight and utilize a smaller V8 in order to keep the same power-to-weight ratio of the current generation models."

Ditto to the above. If they can make the car at 28xxx lbs (even more if you take the 400 lbs is actually acheived), then dang.

Mod/FI will get the car back upto 500+ hp easy and that's going to be a fast, more nimble beast.

Imagine how many corvette guys would have to eat their words if they went with a mid-engine V6 layout...

I would fall down laughing when they started making arguments...

Quote from the article:

The winner and still ahead of it's time:biggrin:

I cannot claim to be a domestic vehicle patron but if they had half the sense of the corvette team marketing/engineering/etc. wise they'd be in much better shape.

This lighter/smaller engine/more efficient/better handling philosophy is about 5 years over due IMO. It still blows my mind that the new v6 camry has 270hp. Sure it sounds cool, but seriously when will it stop? 300hp? A focus on aerodynamics and efficiency is a much more worthwhile cause IMO. A slew of safe, 2500-2800 sportscars is EXACTLY what the enthusiast needs these days IMO. Coming from an NSX/s2k guy, I guess it's not overly surprising.

That's good news, no one utilizes that insane power anyway. Corvette on a diet with around 350 HP under the hood might just be as fast as an Evo or a STi!

:)

Good news? I don't think this is good news at all. This is bad news for all sports car lovers.

You think Honda is going to stick a V10 into their next car now?

The only thing going for the corvette is 'bang for the buck'.
IMO, corvette is dead as of 2012.

Who would buy a 250hp corvette???

holy crap.... chevy expressed concern for fuel efficiency???? :tongue:

I don't get it. The Z06 gets better fuel economy than the NSX on the highway and you are laughing at chevy??? The normal C6 with 400HP gets 28 MPG on the highway.

If chevy is comteplating a lower HP, lighter vette, you can bet many other brands are looking the same way.

I mean, if 2012 was here and there was a 375HP vette that weighed 2700lbs or a 500HP, 4000lbs ASSC, which would you be leaning towards?

What will be more intersting is what will happen to Porsche as the fuel regulations change.

Who knows.

hold on, the nsx guys wishing the next corvette being a mid engine V6, something like the nsx-r we never able to drive...

on the other hand Honda will make a V10 FR car for those used-to-be Corvette fans?

I don't get it. The Z06 gets better fuel economy than the NSX on the highway and you are laughing at chevy??? The normal C6 with 400HP gets 28 MPG on the highway.

If chevy is comteplating a lower HP, lighter vette, you can bet many other brands are looking the same way.

I mean, if 2012 was here and there was a 375HP vette that weighed 2700lbs or a 500HP, 4000lbs ASSC, which would you be leaning towards?

What will be more intersting is what will happen to Porsche as the fuel regulations change.

Who knows.

Those are estimated normally in tests they don't do nearly that well. In Sept 07 C&D printed that they avgd 16 mpg on the 08 Corvette.

Good news? I don't think this is good news at all. This is bad news for all sports car lovers.

You think Honda is going to stick a V10 into their next car now?

Oh yeah they will. You have to remember Honda can afford it as the majority of their fleet are fuel saving four cylinders. GM has a lot of gas guzzlers in their fleet. Also they started the project saying they will get better fuel economy on the V10 than the NSX V6 had.

Maybe someone else fully understands the Cafe credit system better than me ,but supposedly each manufacturer has so many credits for have vehicles that meet or beat the Cafe standards and they can use those credits to boost the MPGs on other cars in their line up:confused:

Back