• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LOL! When did they start giving out "A+"s in college?

So, I'm looking at my syllabuses (I would've thought that'd be "syllabi"), and two of my instructors give A+ for high enough scores, another does "not give + or - grades", and the other tops out at an "A". I looked up the grade point scale for my school online and an A+ counts as 4.33, but your "final score" cannot exceed 4.0 (an A- counts as 3.67). Interesting. The first time I went to school, an A+ was only ever heard of in cartoons.

I had a 4 credit A+ in Adv Tox in grad school so that was a 4.3. My cumulative was actually brought down by A's in other classes. First time I was ever upset to get A's.

That's BS there was no A+ or anything higher than 4.0 when I went, I'm demanding my money back. Colleges are scams these days! What other business can force you to purchase other items (basics and unnecessary classes) in order to get what you want (your actual f...ing major)?

A+??? I'm pretty positive that they didn't hand out anything higher than a C- at the school I went to and I was there for 5 years.

There has been a lot of grade inflation in college over the past 10 years or so. You could always go to someplace like Georgia Tech where a 2.5 GPA is something to really marvel at and be proud of.

Where are these grad classes?! I just finished my Managerial Accounting final where the avg. grade for the past three years was between 52-69%. To get an A, you have to get a 93%. No idea why that is.

naaman, which degree are you going to school for?

This is Arizona State University. Undergrad Criminal Justice.

Interestingly, my GPA for this semester was 4.05. But when it gets averaged into the cumulative, 4.00 is the max. So, when I graduate, even if I had a "perfect" 4.33 GPA for all semesters, the "final score" will be 4.00.

The other thing I find wierd is that different professors use different scales. For example, like you mentioned, in one of my classes, 93% was the floor for an A-.

So, essentially, a student who averages 100% or more in all of his classes will have the same cumulative GPA as one who averages 94%, since A+ only really offsets the "penalty" for an A- no longer counting as 4.0. But two A+s can cancel out one B+ (and so on) and net the student a 4.0 in the end.

Last edited:
Back