• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long flights

Does anybody have tips or tricks to deal with long flights. I'm going to Asia and I have 1 flight that is 6 hours and 2 that are 12 hours each. I have done the 6 hour flight before and found it a long flight. Can't imagine what 12 hours will be like. I'm sure sleeping is the best way to pass the time but I always have a hard time sleeping on planes.

I also cannot sleep on a plane. I ultimately had my doc prescribe something as typically after an Int'l flight I'm expected to go straight to the office and work all day.

I flew to Tokyo with a bunch of NSX owners for Fiesta 2010 and it was a 14 hour flight. It was strange to watch 3 movies and eat two meals and still have 6 hours left to fly. However, we had a great time, were able to stand in an open section to stretch and talk and it really wasn't that bad. We checked online to find out which rows gave you an extra 1-2 inches in legroom and which had outlets under the seats to be able to keep laptop/ipad/etc plugged in throughout the flight. Those of us who didn't want to move around took ambien and slept 3/4 of the flight.

I also flew back from Helsinki and had 10 hours of constant turbulence and was ready to open the exit door and jump out.

I worked in brazil last year and that flight was 12 hours, overnight. i stayed up all day the day of the flight and MADE SURE i was sitting at least economy comfort. I've seen LOTS of movies!!

I was younger when i flew NY to Australia.....got messed up drinking the cheap wine and champagne on the flight.....bottom line the flight went ok...but I was sick for 24 hours on arrival.My only suggestions for adults is plenty of fluids,walk around esp if you have varicose veins.....better yet wear support stockings like those from jobst.Try to get a bulkhead or isle seat.

I have made way too many of those flights to Japan over the years and sleeping through them is best as well as what docjohn mentioned with walking around on the flight. The good thing about drinking lots of water is that it gives you plenty of chances to stretch your legs. A good book helps pass time as well.

active noise cancelling head phones.

My suggestion: do what you can to fly business or first class. Bring those noise canceling headphones with extra batteries, some good books (finished three on the flights to and from Nepal once), maybe some puzzles, bring your computer, and a change of clothes.

On the flight to Nepal, I had three layovers but stayed 12 hours in the Hong Kong airport. Got a massage and took a shower in the pay-for lounge (AMEX and American didn't have lounges there for some reason). The massage was awful but the shower was heaven and the change of clothes even better.

The movies and entertainment offered by the airline were comprehensive.

For Asia - I try to stay up - both ways - I am least a bit tired when I get there - still wake up at 3 am the first week and am really tired in the afternoons.
Where you going to and for how long?

I'm in Japan every month so, 10-12 hour flights are pretty much the norm these days, so some quick suggestions.

If first/business is not an option, choose an isle seat, check seat maps and try to find isle seats without a nearby passenger if possible, extra space always helps. 1/2 the distance to the restrooms is usually a good place to be, not too close not too far since you don't want to be dealing with people going by you all the time but want to remain accessible.

If possible choose a modern aircraft to travel on if you have not chosen your flights already. Most modern airplanes like the B777, B787 have good IFE systems that will keep you entertained without the need for an iPad/Kindle/etc.

Stay hydrated but don't overdo it, try to avoid alcoholic beverages if possible since alcohol is a diuretic. Bring your own light snacks, since most airplane food is not really that great. (does not usually apply if you are flying First or Business, but even they can be abysmal at times)

Wear comfortable clothing, and comfortable shoes, long socks. A light jacket to keep your body temp constant during the flight.

Find a good set of headphones/earbuds/etc. They don't need to be noise cancelling if you are not used to them (some people get headaches due to the constant out of phase sound that is generated by the headphones), but want them to be pretty good at inhibiting the white/background noise from the engines.

Depending on the direction that you are flying, it might make sense to sleep or not to sleep on the flight in order to avoid jet lag. In my particular case, I only take a short nap going to Japan since I arrive in the late afternoon, and I'm back in sync with JST the next morning after getting some sleep. From Japan I try to get 4-5 hours of sleep in order to mange jet lag better when I am back in the US since I usually arrive around noon and force myself to stay awake till at least 10 or 11PM.

Make sure to take vitamins/supplements with you, so that your body's immune system is in tip top shape during/after the flight to Asia and your flight back.

Workouts are a great way to get over jet lag and to get your body in sync.

Last edited:
I fly long distance pretty frequently (just did DC > Honolulu [12 hours] and Honolulu > Auckland [another 10 hours] earlier this month) and I too have trouble sleeping on flights. Typically I just stay awake and catch up on the movies I had wanted to see but never had a chance to watch because any sleep I manage to catch is 'empty' and I don't get an real rest anyways.

Generally alcohol is a bad idea, but you could always pack your carry-on quart bag with those little liquor bottles :redface:

I did Hong Kong, Vietnam and Cambodia at the end/beginning of the year.
Had the worst flight there, but it was mostly because I forgot to take some medication the night before I left.
Flight back was fine and I caught up on some movies.

Everybody has had great tips.

Whenever I fly I prefer the aisle seat so I can get that extra little bit of room to stretch out the legs every once in a while when no one is walking by.

Being in a overall relaxed and rested state is good too, regardless if you plan to stay up or sleep.

Thanks for all the tips. First off I'm flying economy because this trip is already costing close to $10,000.00 and I couldn't justify paying an extra $8,000.00 just to upgrade to bussiness class. However when I get to the airport for the two 12 hour flight I intended to ask if there is room in bussines class. If there is sometimes you can get better pricing because it's last minute plus this means not having to upgrade the 2 hour and the 6 hour flight which don't concern me.

For the 6 hour and one of the 12 hour flight my seats are already reserved and I do have preffered seats. One of the 12 hour flight is a connection with Singapore Air and since I didn't book directly true them I can't reserve specific seats until I get to the airport. I did send them an email asking and they said they would pass it along to there staff at the London airport but I'm not hopefull to get preferred seats on that flight.

Why is everyone saying aisle seats. I had aisle seats last time I came home from Europe and was trying to sleep but everybody walking by would keep hitting my arm or elbow and waking me up.

On the way there we leave at midnight and arrive a 7 am + 1 day so plan to try and stay awake for the first flight that is only 6 hours. Then on the second 12 hour flight(the Singapore Airline Flight) I have sleeping pills prescribed from my doctor so take those and try to sleep as much as I can and when I get there in the morning be well rested.

For the none sleep time I bought a PS Vita because I find when playing games it occupies my mind more than movies and time goes faster.

I guess I should just look past the flight and just think of the good times to come after the flight:smile:

Last edited:
Fixed:tongue: I was trying to type to fast

- comfy clothes
- shoes off (once in your seat)
- if in first class enjoy the booze but don't over drink
- bose qc 15 noise cancelling headphones
- stretch every 5 or so hours
- melatonin if you have to force yourself to sleep
- books
- have mindless work ready; ie. emails to clients, invoicing, scheduling etc etc. this way you can stay productive while not having to think too much
- have your favorite tv series ready that you need to catch up a few episodes on, movies
- sometimes i would stay up all night and work the night before, this way the second i would sit in the seat i would fall asleep from the acceleration of takeoff

used to do 35 flights a year for work so i had to find a way to be somewhat productive from all the wasted man-hours

Last edited:
All great tips. I agree on playing games makes time go by faster than movies. Especially try to buy a new game so you are consumed with all the new things about it. I take Advil PM to sleep. Split the 12 hour flight into a few things. Have a snack, read a little, send some emails, play games, eat a meal, watch movie, sleep and it's over.

Because they don't know how to spell the word aisle. :biggrin:

ohh I thought we were talking about the tourist trophy for the isle of seat.....:wink:

Back