• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Long time owner complaint/whine

I have owned mine for almost 20 years and most of the jobs I do on this car I don't mind. That said however, I just HATE changing the timing belt...I am always happy though to see that my valve adjustment never changes. That joy quickly vanishes though when I have to get the rear valve cover back in there without scratching anything or wiping off gasket compound. I never get faster at it, it just annoys me pretty much every step of the way. Of course, I don't hate it enough to pay someone else to do it, plus I like to do a bit of detailing while I have stuff apart. But...did they really have to make it SO TIGHT.

Last edited:
Haha....I feel your pain. With all the stuff I did on my 91 NSX, even though I didn't know if it was done by a previous owner or not, I found myself rebuilding the whole car..ok, that is a bit of a hyperbole, but you quickly realize how much work goes into putting these cars together. I agree though, why not just have a super tough timing belt that lasts 15+ years, I WOULD pay double the price for a belt like that. Valve adjustment isn't so bad, but I don't like the concept of disturbing the valve covers when you were so diligent in your prior service to make sure you don't have any leaks.....I feel your pain buddy......just remember it's a labor of love......

More space to do maintenance requires more 'space' which makes the car bigger and maybe heavier. Everything is a trade-off. Things might have been better if Honda had not adopted the C 90deg block for the NSX. The J block fits in the NSX. I have only seen pictures of the J engine in an NSX and it is an SOHC engine so the heads are smaller; but, I expect that maintenance would probably be much, much easier with the more compact engine angle.

You can find higher strength fibers for the belt; but, trying to extend the life of the rubbers in the matrix that holds those fibers probably isn't going to happen. Rather than trying to develop some super long life timing belt, the more interesting option might have been to try a chain drive; but, chains have their own set of issues. On a 90 deg V DOHC engine do you try for one massively long chain or do two separate chains to each head? On some of its V4 motorcycle engines Honda used gear drives for the camshafts. Noted for being noisy and I think (although I don't really keep track any more) Honda has largely abandoned gear drive for cams. As a side note, one of the V4 motorcycles that Honda used gear drives on was the ultra rare 1992 NR750. Gear drive was perhaps the least of the engine oddities since it was equipped with oval dual connecting rod pistons with 8 valves per cylinder. Specific claimed power output was a mind buggering 160hp/l at 15,000 RPM. If you think spare parts are getting hard to find for the NSX, the 200 -300 unit production run for the NR750 probably means that every spare part is custom manufactured.

As a final note to maintenance related whining, embrace the fact that you are not a Ferrari 355 owner. Tight working conditions are not a problem because engine out timing belt maintenance is the only option. Timing belt replacement is part of the major maintenance procedure for the 355 which used to be around $10k when carried out by a Ferrari authorized facility - I briefly flirted with 355 ownership before checking out the long term ownership issues.

It's not that bad. :) The NSX allows a lot of DIY whereas with many other cars you have to rely on a mechanic you pay for and have to trust. Engine-out TB job etc.

Always note that if someting is complicated to remove, it's even more complicated to fit it back on. The rear valve cover is a prime example for that. I did it two weeks ago and did overlook to unscrew one bolt down there which made remounting it a tad easier. Try without Hondabond first. There's just ONE route it wants to go down there. Apply Hondabond on the head, not the gasket itself. The rear cover is an excellent example to show if the DIY-guy is thinking before he's trying and if he has enough nerves and staying power. If you've done the TB you are capable to do anything on the NSX. :)

Yeah, I plotted the track of the valve cover without Hondabond as a practice pass. I have done the job more than once and I actually remembered how to get the bugger in there. That is only one example of what annoys me on this job...I am not actually that annoyed, I just like to complain. The entire procedure is just so fiddley, unlike anything else on the car...everything else just seems so thought out and well done. This part of the design just seems like the boss said "I dont care how you shoehorn that thing in there. Just get it in."
Anyway, I have other cars that torture me more. Like anything under the dash in the Europa. Laying on your back with the raised door sill in the small of your back is just really unpleasant.

This part of the design just seems like the boss said "I dont care how you shoehorn that thing in there. Just get it in."
Well, I guess you still have not worked it out how to get it in there within a few minutes. It even takes a pro a few minutes.
This is not an US car. :D I'm pretty sure they've exercised it and made some changes to make it possible. The NSX is a car where serviceability was taken into account during design like in every other Honda as well. All other cars out there are the real nightmares to work on...:)

I know how to fix your issue. Go work on another manufactures. Simple.
I have helped people out with their timing belt change on other manufactures. Crappy.
The NSX is complex, but it is very well documented. Everything does fit. All bolts line up. There is plenty of help out there as others have documented just about everything on the NSX.
Other manufactures, not all of this applies.
I also work on old 1965 - 1966 Mustangs. The NSX is pure joy in comparison.
The NSX is a quality machine.

Back