• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

looking at buying a new NSX, but there are a few things about it...

so, I found a pretty decent condition '94 manual coupe with three past owners around here with 97k miles. they're asking $45k, but they said the price isn't firm. however, there are some things with it that make me uneasy.

the brake and clutch pedal are both light and travel far, but react different. the brake pedal is almost a bit spongy, but when it really gets into the pads, it firms up. the brakes still felt a little underpowered when I was really doing hard braking, though. not sure if it's a brake fluid issue, or if it was a brake pad issue that could have potentially been causing light fade. the clutch pedal was super light and almost resistance-less in the first quarter of it's travel, and then started getting a bit stiffer once past the 1/4 mark. however, when releasing the clutch, it's full release point would be well within that first quarter part where it was super vague and it was hard to really tell a biting point. not sure what causes that issue.

other than that, there are no service records except a clutch slave cylinder that was done on Oct 11, 2001 (I also just saw the then owner had it washed at the dealership on 9/11...wtf possessed him to do that on that day...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). this leads me to treat it like a lot of the service hasn't been done. clutch, timing belt/water pump should most likely be replaced and from what I've been seeing, those are around $2000 jobs each. the most previous owner said he did all the coolant hoses about two years ago, so that'd be about $2k saved. aside from those, the windows were rolling up fairly slow, but they did eventually make it to the top so the window regulators could need replacing. the weather stripping on the passenger side was needing replacing because it was making a bit of noise around 65-ish and up. weirdly enough, the trunk button on the driver's side door didn't open the trunk. the climate control was a little erratic, the paint had a lot of swirling, and the struts on the engine cover and trunk both were completely useless. I also heard from someone that getting the injector o-rings replaced is also a good service.

as far as the good, the car tracked super straight, the manual steering felt super responsive and direct, it has a new stereo system in it with bluetooth, and the engine revved freely all the way up to 8k with the VTEC kicking in nice and smooth.

all that being said, I know perfect 1st gens go for around $45k, or so. would offering $33k cash be reasonable for how much work has to be done to it? also, what would cause those issues I mentioned with the brake and clutch pedal as well as the trunk button?

for a little bit of history to know where I'm coming from, I DD a '14 Focus ST that I bought brand new. not sure if anyone on here has driven one of those, but they have very immediate, almost overboostered, brake pedal feel and fairly strong clutch pedal feel. so, I'm not sure if those clutch and brake symptoms are just quirks of an older car, or if it's a legitimate issue that needs to be taken care of. any help with this would definitely be appreciated.

Last edited:
That's a fair offer for a car in that condition but definitely seems far off from what they want and will be "lowballing" them.

There is what seems like a really nice and well priced brooklands green in the for sale section here that just popped up.

Last edited:
I bought my 94 in 13 for 32. TB was done - I did full brake job (all seals + pads + rotors + lines) Clutch lines + cylinders, water hoses/radiator.
Some work wasn't necessary - I just did it.
Slave clutch cylinder replaced means that the master is next (couple of hundred total max if you change extra stuff).
Just did seats. My windows are a bit slow but I can live with it.
The clutch may work for a while.
If you get it for 33 - it might be OK, Prices may be higher now, might take more.
You should get a PPI (I didn't ...) from a reputable source.
Have someone who knows the cars look at it - maybe they will see something you didn't notice.
Read the buyers guides floating around - make sure it wasn't hit (hard).
Here's one: http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/htup-0810-acura-nsx-buyers-guide/
Read the WIKI.
These need some love ($) to keep them nice.
PM if you wish. Good luck.

Last edited:
hmm...that could definitely be why the brake pedal felt so off song. if the fluid level is low or if the valves in it are starting to leak, it could not be providing enough pressure as normal.

thanks for the links to the buyer's guide and the wiki. I found those a few days ago and looked for what they said when I drove it earlier. definitely good sites to bookmark.

Back