• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking at getting a Gerry Johnson FI NSX

I'm super close at pulling the trigger on a 94 with the Gerry Johnson turbo kit on it. I've been researching for a while now and I can't find anything negative about it. Its been on this car for years with no issues (the seller says) but just wanted to get an opinion on the kit. Figured it would be smart to post before I purchase rather than after.
Bored Darton Sleeves
Block Guard
JE Forged Pistons
JE Rings
Sleeved Titanium Rods
ARP Main & Head Studs
ARP Rod Bolts
Rod Bushings
Comptech HV Oil Pump
Comptech SS Headers
Cylinder Heads Ported
Custom Valve Job
Complete Motor Balancing
RC 680cc Race Injectors
Denso Race Fuel Pump
High Flow Fuel Filter
Electromotive Fuel System
-Stand Alone System
-Laptop Controllable
Garrett Ballistic Turbo
Turbonetics Wastegate
HKS Blow Off Valve
Apexi Intercooler
Electric Intercooler Fans
SS Ceramic Coated Piping

agree with the above the gerry has an outstanding reputation.

1)Before buying any car that is highly modified i would recommend having a compression / leakdown test to determine the health of the engine

2)also, after doing 1) i would have the car dynoed to determine the effectiveness of the fuel and timing standalone system and to make sure that the car is running safely. (the dyno should have a wideband a/f reading and i would also want to know timing and fuel pressure through the rev band.

3) there are better tuning solutions than what is listed above on the car, so depending on the results of #2 i would have in my budget replacing the ECU with a aem and getting the system re-tuned potentially to ensure that the running optimally.

4) part of #1 should be the mechanic looking at the turbo system to esure everything is in order.(vacume leaks, manifold cracks, turbo shaft play etc) to make sure that you know the health of the turbo system

these are the things i would personally want to know about any highly modified car with engine work, prior to purchase. skip these steps and you are gambling.

best of luck

I BOUGHT IT!!!!

Here is some pics.

Its a 94 w/35K
2.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

13.jpg

20.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

55.jpg

Oh you CRACY MUTHA F*&#$R Z!:wink:

any idea what the RWHP is on the car?

When are you coming by so I can testdrive it!!

Congrats on the purchase !!
Odd, he spent so much money on the car yet the covers that go over the bolts that hold the nav pod aren't there.:confused:
I'll bet it is a blast to drive.

big'dawg...

Greg "M.F.ing" Z... congratz' on (another) NSX! Damn, talk about a brute. Welcome to the '94 club, as well! :D

Where/when/how are you taking delivery of this red-rocket? I'm working on coordinating our "last-Sunday-of-the-month" Austin-area gathering this coming weekend (May 31st) w/ hopefully a dozen or so local/regional NSX peeps'. Food-for-thought if you're gonna be on the road. . .

Oh you CRACY MUTHA F*&#$R Z!:wink:

any idea what the RWHP is on the car?

When are you coming by so I can testdrive it!!

Sup Ratish (sp), Its suppose to be at 500 RWHP. You can come drive it anytime, you know that. Why haven't you been to the last THREE Austin runs!!!!! ?????:smile:

Re: big'dawg...

Greg "M.F.ing" Z... congratz' on (another) NSX! Damn, talk about a brute. Welcome to the '94 club, as well! :D

Where/when/how are you taking delivery of this red-rocket? I'm working on coordinating our "last-Sunday-of-the-month" Austin-area gathering this coming weekend (May 31st) w/ hopefully a dozen or so local/regional NSX peeps'. Food-for-thought if you're gonna be on the road. . .

Thnx for da Welcome. Looking at flying out Thursday morning to Cleveland and then driving it back the 18 loooooong hours. Or maybe driving a truck/trailer up there but that would be about 40hrs round trip just drive time, so I don't know yet. I would love an Austin get together but this weekend would be too soon for me to pull off.

more pics.
28.jpg

38.jpg

32.jpg

40.jpg

30.jpg

Last edited:
WOW congrats on the puchase!!! Cant wait to see it. What r u going to be doing with the other nsx? I would love to take some of the mods from you if your going to be getting rid of it.

Let me know

thanks
Blaine Waddell

WOW congrats on the puchase!!! Cant wait to see it. What r u going to be doing with the other nsx? I would love to take some of the mods from you if your going to be getting rid of it.

Let me know

thanks
Blaine Waddell

I'm gonna be swapping over some of the mods from the black one to the red one. Then I will be putting the black one up for sale.

If there is anything left over like the exhaust that you dont need please let me know. Im trying to find something to wake the car up between now and Turbo time.
thanks
Blaine

You could always convert the Black car to a dedicated track car:biggrin:

Congrats!

I once rode in a GJ turbo NSX and the car was scary fast. I thought it was breaking at the wheels at every shift only to finally realize that was the valve popping. Be careful with that car. It could get you in serious trouble:smile:

Congrats Greg.

Damn....I'm going to be the slowest NSX now with you and Scott going turbo

I'm gonna be swapping over some of the mods from the black one to the red one. Then I will be putting the black one up for sale.

Congrats on your new baby.
You have some really nice cars, Turbo nsx, twin turbo vette, and turbo Impala ss :confused: I have never seen one or heard of a turbo impala do you have some pics of your other turbo cars?

Man, why would you buy such a car??!!!! Obviously something is wrong with it. It is missing the tow hook cover!

Congrats to your purchase!

Steve

Congrats on your new baby.
You have some really nice cars, Turbo nsx, twin turbo vette, and turbo Impala ss :confused: I have never seen one or heard of a turbo impala do you have some pics of your other turbo cars?

Impala has a fully built 383 Stroker w/ 76mm firebreather.
14271_.jpg

14272_.jpg

14273_.jpg

14275_.jpg

14277_.jpg

14278_.jpg

Congrats on the purchase! I have the sneaking suspicision that you'll be driving it as much as possible this summer. ;)

Ditto on the be careful. My stroker isn't putting out the power your turbo is and even mine is more than a handful.

Congrats again - you'll love it. :)

Last edited:
Wow.. Congrats! The NSX must have felt out of place in that Turbo Family!

Back