• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a new Camera

I'm looking for a new camera. Tired of relying on friends to take pics. I'm not a pro, but would like to do nice shots. Some say the Nikon d40 (i think), not quite sure. But if you guys have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated... Lucas if you have any recommendations...

Regards,

Omer

I'm looking for a new camera. Tired of relying on friends to take pics. I'm not a pro, but would like to do nice shots. Some say the Nikon d40 (i think), not quite sure. But if you guys have any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

Omer

just don't buy a casio exilim..... can't take pictures within 3 feet of anything that aren't blurry. big pos.

i have no exp with the d40, but i'm sure it's a good camera.

personally i'm a fan of sony cameras (if you just want to take quick, nice pictures every time you hit the button).

but, then again, i'm no photographer and i don't really follow camera models :redface:

pm RSO.

Great Camera!!!! I bought the XTI as a great started DSLR. I had a similar post on this site, many prime members recomended this body to start with and spending my money on nice lenses. In the future I can always upgrade the body. This was great advice, the camera has been working well for me. The quality of the photo has more to do with the user knowing how to shoot and use proper settings than the camera itself. Not sure what your photography level is but I would recomend visiting some forums also and poke around for some tips. Here is a canon forum to start with.

I bought my XTI from Costco. They sell it for $779. Good Luck.

Nice choice!
I use a previous model Canon 20D
8.x megapixel.
With that resolution I can print nice posters 36" x 60"

Go to a camera store and hold the camera.
Make sure it fits your hand.
I had the first Canon Digital Rebel (6.x mp)
Was an ok camera.
Then Canon started making a couple other models with a slightly smaller body on them.
Now in some circles a smaller body is nice, but not necessarily in a camera.
Some guys feel the body on the Canon XTi is too small for a comfortable grip.
In my case the 20d is slightly larger. Good fit.

Once you get into DSLR, its easy to get a good quality pic.
Now compositon and depth of field and all the other stuff...
Well thats a diff story.
takes time to get good at it.

Oh and the camera is just the start.
Lenses, Lenses Lenses!!!
And that can add several grand $$$
But don't let that steer you away. Tis worth it.

PS: I'm a camera-holic
Had many digital cameras over the years.
Was always on the camera sites (dpreview.com) comparing stuff
but once I bought my 20d, I've stopped reading / scanning for better models.
Guess I'm finally happy with what I have.

Brad

Last edited:
i'm actually considering the nikon d40 myself. chose it over the canon 350d for alot of reasons, but what convinced me partially were the reviews written on www.dpreview.com. also a few friends in the business have suggested the d40 as a very good beginner dslr. you can pick them up for roughly $100 cheaper than the canon 350d at places like B&H.

at b&h: nikon d40 with kit lens = $550ish
canon 350d with kit lens = $625ish.

I've been a Canon user for 30yrs and I love their products. Nikon is also very good, and so is Fuji. If you are just getting involved with DSLR photograhpy for the first time, you need to have a basic understanding of SLR photography. Just because the camera is digital, doesn't mean that it will take great pictures. Proper technique is vital, no matter which system you purchase.

Here is a picture that I took with my Digital Rebel XT through a EF 28-135mm 1:3.5-5.6 is lens. I also have a Canon 10D that I use exclusively for my photography in the office.

ALMS1.jpg

Ive got a D80 with the 18-200VR lens and a 50-500mm and a teleconverter.

It works amazingly well in my rookie hands. The only thing I dont like is the software that comes with the Nikon. The camera itself, the lenses and the interface, are all awesome. Canon much better high ISO noise though.

i'm actually considering the nikon d40 myself. chose it over the canon 350d for alot of reasons, but what convinced me partially were the reviews written on www.dpreview.com. also a few friends in the business have suggested the d40 as a very good beginner dslr. you can pick them up for roughly $100 cheaper than the canon 350d at places like B&H.

at b&h: nikon d40 with kit lens = $550ish
canon 350d with kit lens = $625ish.

You can also get the D40(with lens kit) from ButterflyPhoto for $524 and free shipping. I bought my Nikon Coolpix 8700 from there. I'm looking at the D40 also, don't know if I really want to spend more for a D80, or D200 just yet.

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=D40KIT&bsk=1

pm= private message,,,,use the pm feature to ask RSO 34 on this board about his vast experience with dig cameras.Just look at his previous picture posts on prime.

The D40 is a great bang for the buck camera loaded with features I dont know the pros or cons of it over the canon body but you cant go wrong with either one. If you are a new user I would recommend you invest your money in lens and not so much in the body because new bodies come out every year.

As far as the digitals go, I've used Sony for quite some time. Currently I've got the DSC-T10. Was under $300, 7.2MP, huge LCD display and very user friendly. The best part is how small it is.

It takes great pictures. Bought a 2GB memory stick off of ebay for $20 and don't think I'll ever need a new one. I'd recommend this camera if you are an amateur looking for an easy point and click solution.

...Currently I've got the DSC-T10. Was under $300, 7.2MP, huge LCD display and very user friendly. The best part is how small it is...I'd recommend this camera if you are an amateur looking for an easy point and click solution.

You can't compare a p&s to an SLR. The shutter lag on a p&s camera is pathetic. They are only good for casual picture taking at picnic's. Furthermore, the MP has nothing to do with the quality of the picture. I have a 2.0 MP Nikon that take pictures just as well as my 8MP camera. The primary advantage of higher MP's is that you can print larger pictures without losing fine detail. If you are only taking pictures to email and print 4x6 prints, any camera under 4mp will do just fine.

Nikon and Canon are head to head. Go with the D40 or, if you can afford it, the D80. The D80 gives you the 10 Mega pixel image plane of the D200 at much lower cost. High pixel count is not needed for most situations however it is great if you want to enlarge portions of a picture without loosing sharpness. I have had both Canon and Nikon and prefer the Nikon line.

Thanx for the input...keep it coming....

I have a D70, bought it when it first came out, one for me and one for my partner.

Awesome camera, he gave his to his 17 yr old son, who beat it a bit and had some problems that were attributed to "early d70s" so I'd buy the d70x or d80 as an alternative.

Overall, its not the camera, its the lens that captures the light and therefore the picture. Consumers reports just did a review of Digital cameras. they use a cold scientific approach that I don't agree on for wine tasting, but works well for things like cameras. They rate the Nikon Lenses as being FAR better than the next best in all catagories compaired (96% for Nikon and next highest was 72% in one catagory, then 84 to 76, etc.) My first business was a pro photography biz and I ALWAYS used Nikon for the Nikkor Lenses, choose the D40 if you don't want to spend as much but buy the Nikon so you get the best lenses, you can always upgrade the camera, the investment in lenses is what locks you into a specific brand.

$0.02 towards your purchase!:wink:

Last edited:
Interesting to see the 'Prime members here are Nikon DSLR fans while over at the Acurazine forum, it's essentially a Canon DSLR forum.

I have a Canon 30D (newer model to the 20D) -- the 30D has a bigger LCD in the back which is probably the most important upgrade. There are also other technical aspect which are improved but I can't remember them right now. I am very impressed at what my 30D can do (haven't played around with it enough but seen many examples).

The alternative would be a Rebel XTi (10 MP) but I found the camera too small for my man hands. ;) (Seriously -- it felt tiny in my hands) Go to BestBuy or Future Shop and see how they feel -- that's very important to buying a camera outside of the technical details.

Good luck on your search.

Stu - Ive seen high ISO photos from both mjr brands, and they're hands down way better from a Canon. I think it also depends what you want to shoot. Look at ANY major sporting event; they're all Canons down the side.

I agree with Stu - decide which lenses youd rather invest in. They will stay with you longer than the body will.

Notice how Stu is talking about "partner" and "he" together??? He is slowly coming out. Bet he tries to backpedal a bit and says he meant his business partner.

Susita TC-246

carcam_large.jpg

SD Recording Info:

1GB Card = up to 2.5 hours (estimate)
2GB Card = up to 5.0 hours (estimate)
Once the SD card is full the video will overwrite from the beginning.

12V DC power through the cigarette lighter or two AA batteries

Specifications:

File Format: AVI
Camera Distance: Infinite
Resolution: 320 x 240 (30fps)
Measurements: 18.25" x 6.125" x 2.25"
Weighs: 1lb

WARNING: The CarCam is only compatible with 2GB SD cards and below. It will NOT work with a 4GB card.

TC 246 Vehicle Safeguard Video Recording Camera: $79.95

http://www.gadgetuniverse.com/product_detail.asp?SKU=TC+246

Susita TC-246 Vehicle Safeguard Video Recording Camera
TC-246Regular Price: $119.95Dads and Grads Sale: $74.95

http://www.digitalgiftstore.com/tc-246.html

Price: $99.95

http://www.spygear4u.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AM-TC246

sample video:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NC7ST40EcA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-NC7ST40EcA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Re: Susita TC-246

Have you considered the Sony A100? The standard kit lens offers a bit of additional flexibility over those packaged with canon/nikon dSLR's, and there is another kit, the A100H, that includes the rebranded 18-200mm KM lens:

51qFhZFQvmL._AA280_.jpg

Amazon Link

If you purchase a dSLR its interesting to note that several mfgr's share the camera sensor, the primary difference is lens selection. Purchasing the Sony camera allows you to use old Konica Minolta lenses, which are plentiful, or Pentax allows you access to a large number of lenses as well (eg Pentax K10D camera, etc.) - these lenses are high quality, and are less in demand than similar offerings from Canon/Nikon.

If you don't already have a large pool of lenses you're trying to fit it makes sense to look into these alternative options, which would result in you saving significant money each time you purchase another lens. I used to have a Pentax *ist DL, and purchased several high end/professional lenses on ebay (eg tokina at-x, carl zeiss jena, etc.)... I have since switched to a Sony DSC-R1, but am considering going back to a camera that offers more cache, for more 'burst' photography.

Back