• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a nice SUV..ideas?

Hi all, I'm in the market for an SUV. I'm not looking for the big bus-like suv's just something functional, simple, and most importantly elegant (To give a better idea, if I could afford the new Audi Q5 I'd shoot for that.) My price range is in the neighborhood of $20k. I was thinking of buying a used Denali and perhaps modifying the exterior to better suit my style so if anyone has any ideas or good forums that I can research I would be much appreciative.

Thanks.

2004-2008 Infiniti FX35/45? At least in terms of exterior aesthetics, it looks very elegant to me and definitely stands out amongst its peers.

03infinitifx45side.jpg

2004infinitifx4527767e.jpg

2004-2008 Infiniti FX35/45? At least in terms of exterior aesthetics, it looks very elegant to me and definitely stands out amongst its peers.QUOTE]

I have testdriven a FX45 as I liked the model and for roadholding that was the best SUV I've tried, even a little better than my present Cayenne Turbo.
Problem however beiing that the FX has such a tight cabin and small boot, just not practical! I wanted an SUV for additional space and this just hasn't got any.

Last edited:
I second the FX. I know it's got less interior space then some others, especially the Denali, but that's what makes the exterior so much more exciting than other SUV's. Here's mine:
232323232%7Ffp932%3Enu%3D32%3B7%3E932%3E833%3EWSNRCG%3D325445%3A%3B75335nu0mrj

(FWIW, you might also look at a first gen MDX- 2001-2006).

I'm in the market as well for a small cross-over/ Suv at the same price point.
I've owned the Fx before. Great car for the money. I just couldn't stand the exhaust note after awhile. I'm getting old that's all.

I think an 07 Acura RDX may be the best pick at this point. Just wish that the body is better. Guess I can't have it all.
Let me know what you end up with.

We had a 05 Land Rover LR3 for 3 years and loved it. Heard all the hype about Land Rover problems, but we never had a single problem. I think the LR3's are much, much better than the Discovery models that were the previous generation. The 05's are in the neighborhood of 17-20k. They have a luxury sense to them, but they can go through anything.

We replaced it with a Merc GL450 and LOVE it. It is really really quick for a full size SUV's with 3 rows. They are not going for 20k though. :)

Last edited:
Heck yeah, I felt like royalty driving my Landrover Discovery HSE. Driving it on snowy roads was a blast. It was quicker accelerating getting up to speed in the snow packed roads of colorado, than my 2wd V6 pickup was in the dry. Loved it. It was just scary driving it aggressively when the roads were dry because it had sensitive steering. The steering precision in the Landrover in the snow was comparable to the steering in the Denali in the dry.

Anything off road in the snow though and the oem low profile goodyears can't hack it too well. But other than that it does excellent. I've had it teeter tottering with two diagonal wheels in the almost 2 feet in the air before. I think the only thing that kept it from going up the muddy/snowy embankment any further was the tires, no traction with street tread.

Last edited:
I just picked up an X-5. Very fun to drive but more than 20k, however they are giving out 2.9% financing which makes the deal pretty sweet.

I've had 2 MDX's, an '01 and now, the '07. I like the '07 re-style. It's had a couple electronic gremlins but has otherwise been great. Lot of content for the $, decent utility for hauling stuff. Gas mileage is slightly disappointing.

Love my GX470... and you can actually take it off road. Hill descent, locking diffs, etc.

Lexus quality as well. You can pick up a 2004 for around $20k.

im pretty happy with my ML55 AMG

I wouldn't trade my Jeep SRT8 for any SUV on the planet. :) I love that thing. It's a blast to drive, comfortable and FAAAAST. Oh, and to the naysayers, it handles better than most cars! Compared to my RDX, well, there's no comparing it to the RDX. The SRT8 is one of the most entertaining vehicles I've ever driven.

GX470 or MDX? I find the GX470 more luxurious, and like that it has a V8 with more torque, but it's kind of too big and a little too soccery momish + you have to go with a older GX versus a slightly newer MDX.

I wouldn't trade my Jeep SRT8 for any SUV on the planet. :) I love that thing. It's a blast to drive, comfortable and FAAAAST. Oh, and to the naysayers, it handles better than most cars! Compared to my RDX, well, there's no comparing it to the RDX. The SRT8 is one of the most entertaining vehicles I've ever driven.

I looked at these for a DD, but the gas mileage was awful. I don't know how it compares to other SUV's, but that's all I recall turning me off. Other than that, that is a bad SUV!!!!

I looked at these for a DD, but the gas mileage was awful. I don't know how it compares to other SUV's, but that's all I recall turning me off. Other than that, that is a bad SUV!!!!

You're right... gas mileage is stunningly bad. the tree huggers would be appalled. That said, the cost differential for gas is what I'm viewing as my "fun" tax. I'm already starting to mod mine. I wanted one of these last years, but I bought the RDX, which was a big mistake for me. I am much happier w/ the SRT8!

I don't get the FX at all. I have driven several, at a point where I wanted an SUV. It's heavy, gets fairly bad milage, has very little room, sucks in the snow, and it's bad off-road. The merits it has like being quick and handling pretty good, you can get in any car.

An SUV should have lots of room, be good in bad weather, and not be too shiny and too fancy. Something that can get a JOB done IMO.

Last edited:
I have the R class and love it, they are a great bang for the buckView attachment 56535

I have to second this one, I had one of these for a month whole my CL was being serviced. Being the way MB tanks in price you may well find one in the 20's and it is roomy as hell, and drives nice. I'd never buy one new but as a used car they are probably a good deal.

Just need to get some beefier tires/rims and I'm done with this project.

A quick shot from Whistler this winter....

P3060013.jpg

You need to decide if you need a true truck or a "crossover" type suv.

Back