• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for an NSX vs 911 vs 350Z

Okay guys, i need your help. I KEEP coming back to considering an NSX. My neighbor has a red 91 5spd, so its always on the brain. ANyhow, i was driving his car and for the first time, i missed the low-rpm punch that my 350Z delivers. On a track and on the streets i think the X gets the edge due to its incredible redline limit. Personally, i love the looks of the X vs the Z.

However, the real deal is in terms of reality and practicality. Does it make any sense to get rid of a 2 year old thoroughly modern car that makes a good amount of power (287) , has anti-idiot driver control (vdc) and a warrantee --- in exchange for a (I'm looking at a 97 targa) older design (15 yrs old!).

I mean, the nsx was designed in the late 80s....thats old!

Then theres the 911 question. I'm so confused...

oh yeah, btw does the the leather dash in the later cars improve? The leather in the 91 looks kinda *fake*.

e

qirex said:
oh yeah, btw does the the leather dash in the later cars improve? The leather in the 91 looks kinda *fake*.

You should read up a bit on that, alot of thought went into the process/material used for the upper dash. Yes it's a design from the late 80's...but the engineering that went into the car makes it more advanced than many new cars today. I agree that low end torque isn't exactly abundant, but like you said...shifting @ eight grand helps make up for that :)
- Jon

Maybe you should post more info. on what you are looking for in a car.
i.e. Handling, speed, looks, maintenance, resale, etc.

Listing some priorities will make commenting easier. :)

qirex said:
i was driving his car and for the first time, i missed the low-rpm punch that my 350Z delivers.
If you are driving the NSX hard (e.g. for maximum acceleration), you shouldn't be spending any time at low revs. Shift at redline and you won't miss any punch at low RPMs.

qirex said:
On a track and on the streets i think the X gets the edge due to its incredible redline limit. Personally, i love the looks of the X vs the Z.
Most of us do NOT refer to the NSX as an "X" (as noted here). Thank you.

Good luck with your decision.

nsxtasy said:
If you are driving the NSX hard (e.g. for maximum acceleration), you shouldn't be spending any time at low revs. Shift at redline and you won't miss any punch at low RPMs.

Most of us do NOT refer to the NSX as an "X" (as noted here). Thank you.

Well, certainly like the look of the X better. It revs faster and higher than my Z. The thing that holds me back is the lack of a VDC/ESP/PSM thingie. I did find that the X is near impossible to upset. AT the same time, i found it nigh impossible to break traction. I must admit that i can be a hooligan with the z. I love crazy oversteer and the like. VDC helps you learn the cars handling limits - i'm afraid that I might wind up putting my x into a wall.

I was really close to buying a 997, but honestly dont find too much value in a brand new 2005 90K car that only has 355hp.

I was worried about the lack of nav (love it) on the x, but after i saw that sweet 2din eclipse nav install - i'm doing that.

How much $$$$ does it cost to make an nsx have 270 rwhp?
headers/exhaust? or do you need to go FI?

If you are comparing a '97-T to a 350Z, then you are comparing apples to oranges. When I drove my friends 350Z, I can feel the weight difference. And it did not provide that much low-end ooomph. But then again, myabe I have to drive the 350Z daily to realize that.

The 350z handled much like my sister's Bmw 3-series and not like the Nsx. I let my friend withe the 350Z drive my Nsx and he was like "wow, I can really take the corners harder."

Granted the Nsx is 14 years old, but it's still a head-turner.

having owned both a stage III 300zxtt and an nsx at the same time (like many here), i don't regret getting rid of the Z. every day i'd go out and think hmmm... which car do i drive today? the nsx always won (unless is was raining in which case id take the Z or snowing... in which case i'd take the wife's car). yes i miss the torque sometimes, but the NSX is much more reliable and in most instances, more fun to drive. still... 500# of torque... that was fun too..........

IMO the 300zxtt is twice the car the 350Z is, so for me, this dilemma is a no brainer :).

as far as how to get 270rwhp in the nsx, i dynoed 270 with headers, exhaust, cf intake, no cats on a 91, so if you're looking at a 3.2L, you should have no problems getting those numbers.

It all depends on what you want in a sportscar. Seems to me almost everyone is driving arround with a Z. When I was in LA i get to see atleast 5 to 7 Zs in a day. Here in Michigan you get to see the same number of corvettes in a day. NSX? The last time I saw one on the road...I could hardly remember! :rolleyes:

No comparision, NSX is much more nimple, quicker, and much more of an overall rewarding car. Z is a good daily driver..

K.O. said:
Granted the Nsx is 14 years old, but it's still a head-turner.

This is one of the reasons why I want one.

The Z's and 911's are nice but I see them everywhere. Rarely will you run into a NSX. And even rarer that you see one modded, tastefully ( wheels, suspension, exhaust).

There's something about driving a car that's rare ;)

The Z is a nice sports car.

The NSX is a mid-engine, aluminum body, 46 inch high exotic that turns heads with admiring glances. Rarely do you ever drive an NSX when you do not receive some complement from somebody.

The feeling you get when you own and drive an NSX is different from owning and driving a Z or an S2000 or Corvette among many others. A 10 year old NSX in good condition and polish will pretty much make a brand new Z seem downright ordinary.

You are not comparing comparable vehicles. You feel good driving a Z. You feel privileged and absolutely thrilled driving an NSX. Driving an NSX is an event. The engineering that went into the production of the NSX set benchmarks. The design of the beautiful NSX is already a classic. The sound of the NSX engine is a melody that few engines can sing.

I have owned the 300ZX Twin Turbo, the Supra TT, the Honda S2000 amongst many other cars and I never felt that respect and admiration for any of those cars that I do for my NSX. That I have received more complements for the NSX compared to all of my other cars combined is a fact and something that many of the NSX owners know first hand.

Good luck.

qirex said:
Well, certainly like the look of the X better.
Yes, the CRX was a nice car. Too bad they stopped selling it in 1991.

qirex said:
I did find that the X is near impossible to upset.
Yes, the MDX really does hold the road well, doesn't it? That AWD system really works!

qirex said:
i'm afraid that I might wind up putting my x into a wall.
Then don't take your RSX out onto the track.

qirex said:
I was worried about the lack of nav (love it) on the x
You can get a nav system on the MDX.

:p

One of the things I hated the most about the 350z was the dash.

I agree with you on that 100%, Bailey. That's why I would consider a G35 coupe before a 350Z anyday.

Also, chalk one up for the Nsx on forward visibility. As one of my friend's put it, "the Nsx may not be in your seats fast as some other cars, but looking out, it feels a lot faster than it may be."

My vote is for the 97 NSX-T. However, spend a lot of time behind the wheel before making a purchase decision.

The NSX is a superior car to the 350Z. The 350Z is an extremely common car, with no character IMHO. The 350Z is a massed produced coupe that shares the same platform with Nissan's economy sedans and SUVs. It is not a tightly focused, purpose built sports car like the NSX.

In regards to the 997S, it is genuine sports car that has lots of character in my opinion, albeit at a premium. The P-Car is on a different planet all together. The Nissan cannot be compared to the Porsche.

The 350Z's true competitors are cars such as the S2000 and RX-8, NOT the NSX or 997. However, I have to admit that for the money (less than $30k), the 350Z is a great value.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend. $30k (350Z), $45k (97 NSX) or $90k (997S). Personally, I think a 97' NSX is easily twice the car the 350Z is and definitely is worth a miniscule $15k premium. Also, if you have the means to purchase a 997S, you should seriously consider it.

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Yes, the CRX was a nice car. Too bad they stopped selling it in 1991.

Yes, the MDX really does hold the road well, doesn't it? That AWD system really works!

Then don't take your RSX out onto the track.

You can get a nav system on the MDX.

:p

Xtasy,

You are a funny guy :D

qirex said:
I mean, the nsx was designed in the late 80s....thats old!

I love 350Zs, beautiful looking car, fun to drive, I seriously considered buying one as daily driver, but went with single turbo Supra instead:D

Yes, NSX is designed in the late 80s, however it is still so far advanced compare to many newer cars. It is also made of Alumnium.

NSX was my first used car. I owned 5 brand new cars prior to NSX, yet NSX felt newer than any other cars I have ever owned. I certainly do not miss the VDC from the CLK430 or GS400.

97 NSX is far quicker than 350Z, even pre-97 are quicker than 350Z.

If money is no objective get 97~05NSX>Posche 997>91~96NSX or get the new 35th Anniversary 350Z with 298HP, new ultra yellow color, new 5 spoke 18" wheels.

In Southen Cal, 350Zs are everywhere, every parking lot, every street, every block, more 350Zs than Mustangs.

qirex said:
I was really close to buying a 997, but honestly dont find too much value in a brand new 2005 90K car that only has 355hp.
Man, I guess anyone that would buy a NSX with "only" 290hp must be crazy!
Now I should get my self checked, since I bought a "13" yrs old "used" car with limited use or practicallity for close to $30k. No wonder my wife thought I was out of my mind. ;)

qirex said:
oh yeah, btw does the the leather dash in the later cars improve? The leather in the 91 looks kinda *fake*.e

The dash isn't leather, it's vinyl.

EIFFEL said:
Man, I guess anyone that would buy a NSX with "only" 290hp must be crazy!
Now I should get my self checked, since I bought a "13" yrs old "used" car with limited use or practicallity for close to $30k. No wonder my wife thought I was out of my mind. ;)

My point was that for ~$90K I expect *more*.
If i waited another year, the AMV8 would be a possibility for ~$100K.

Its really too bad, I ran into a buddy this AM in the parking lot driving his 997S, god the exhaust note is incredible.

Thats good to know re: the dash being vinyl - as it looks it. IMO the 997 dash looks better. I've realized my problem. I originally was set to get a 997 - and was prepared to spend 90K. As such, I'm comparing apples to oranges and it'll be very difficult to make a choice.

I agree re: the Z-factor, I see TONS of them here in san diego (as i do p-cars and vettes), NEVER see an X (crx, mdx, xtasy, exgirlfriend).

Another big problem is how damn great theZ is. It certainly doesnt have the external view that the X does, but it is soooo confidence inspiring. I'm gonna take a step and go for it. I need to get out of my Z lease and find a well taken care of 97 3.2 Targa 6spd. Preferable any color but black (yellow, red, silver).

I really appreciate all the input and replies. Heres to X-ownership.

BTW, I heard on a P-car forum that NSXs (there! happy) have really low drivetrain losses? Is that true? BTW they hold the X in high regard over at rennlist.

e

Stop!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!! You'll regret it the minute you get rid of the Z. It has an intoxicating exhaust note, great torque, all the toys and gizmos, cheap to buy, keep, and modify. So what if you see yourself coming and going, walk out into a parking lot and not know which car is yours. You'd have that same problem in a 911!!! If you get a NSx (oops) you'll have an underpowered, 14 year old style car, with an ugly vinyl dash, no torque, no sweet exhaust sound (unless modified or in VTEC), you'll get beat out by riced out civics, WRX's, vettes, and all other kinds of riff raff just to drive a unique exotic that handles well, is super reliable, comfortable to ride long distances in, gives more smiles per mile to owner and observer alike. Is that enough for you, if not make sure that you're doing the right thing. Spend some time in your car, the 911, and then the NSx, if at the end of the day, you don't want to keep the keys to the NSx more than the other two, you will know what to do. Do it to please yourself, nobody else, make sure first. If like the rest of us on this forum you decide to buy the NSX, you will do it from a position of knowledge and committment, rather than short term lust. Good Luck no matter what you decide to do ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

coming from a 03 350z touring, i can say i'll never look back. or go back to nissan that is. my dealership was great but dealing with nissan north america to get my tire feathering, stereo, exhaust and window issues resolved was another thing. in my z's first year of life it had spent over 40 days in the shop. not the kind of build quality i was looking for. granted i have only had my nsx for about two months, but from what i can tell it beats the z in every catagory.

qirex said:
I heard on a P-car forum that NSXs (there! happy) have really low drivetrain losses? Is that true?
Yes. Drivetrain losses (the difference between power/torque at the crank and at the wheel) are typically 12-14 percent. That's considered unusually low.

qirex said:
BTW they hold the X in high regard over at rennlist.
Yes, some of them use the MDX to tow their Porsches. :D

Back