• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking Forward to being a Dad

HTN

Experienced Member
Can't believe that this is actually happening. I’ve worked hard all my life just to prepare for the future. I guess the future is here. Can’t really explain the feeling I have now except being very excited and nervous all at the same time. This is not like having a car where you can get rid of it when no longer interested. Or even a fish where you can toss it in the near by pond. Now my biggest dilemma…. To sell or not to sell the NSX. Everything is paid for so no note/loan on cars and toys. Setting priorities straight is my priority.
Thinking of selling the X for a more practical SUV. Currently have an M, the X, and a Z. Another thought is to pick up an additional vehicle for the family and keep everything else. However, 2 people really do not need 4 cars. This is just too much IMO. Anyways…. What did you guys do when you got to this bridge in life?

Congrats.I kept the car but it only gets used for errands,when I don't need to take the kids.Otherwise enjoy the proccess of pregnancy/birth.Make sure there is as little stress in your lives as possible before the birth.Talk about how the two of you will share in the day to day requirerments of the baby/child.Then lean on the grandparents when the two of you need alone time:biggrin:

Wow! Congrats...:smile:

If it were me (I am actually planning for kids) I'd keep the NSX and get rid of the M and Z. Sorry but those cars are dime a dozen and easily picked up again, not an NSX though.

Remember there are alot of great SUV's out there for not alot of money...

Any time now I ll be a dad for a second time. And its a best thing in the world. I have my own bussines over nine years which Im happy with. BUT every time I log on to prime, or go for a drive in my Nsx,... than thats my time. It relaxes me(My hobby). I would never sell my car. We have a 4 door CIVIC for the babies:biggrin:

Good luck.

SAM

I must be weird -- I bought my NSX after becoming a dad. And then after my second, I kept the NSX.

Not sure what's so practical about an SUV these days :confused:

I must be weird -- I bought my NSX after becoming a dad. And then after my second, I kept the NSX.

Not sure what's so practical about an SUV these days :confused:

Same here. Bought mine 5 years ago when the kids were 6 & 4. DD was a SUV at the time, now it's a Honda Civic. The only way the NSX will ever leave me is if I get something similar to replace it or if a financial hardship happens to me. I don't drive it as much as I like but it still gives me enjoyment just looking at it and thinking about it.

Hey Doc. Thanks for the tip. Never crossed my mind about the daily tasks. I was going for the paper rock sissor approach.
Interesting that my wife feels that the NSX is the last thing if money is an ever an issue. The Z is more likely to go. So this brings to another topic.

What do you guys find to be a good overall DD with baby in mind?

Firstly- congrats! I am a new Dad to a 6 month old, and I can identify with the feelings you are having. Kind of the male equivelent to "nesting". I ran out and traded in my old car for a newer "safer" car within 2 months of finding out Lila was on her way, I upgraded our home as well to accomodate the need for more space.

After all is said and done though, I feel a bit silly. Here are the reasons why

Car- I traded in a car that was paid for and financed the replacement car- I feel a bit like a dummy, as I would really like to have that car payment cash in the bank every month now that my wife is no longer working.

House- When we found out Lila was on her way my wife and I were living in a 1 bedroom flat in Chicago. The price was reasonable, and the neighborhood was nice. In my zeal to get us more space I moved us into a much more nicely appointed, and larger 2 bedroom place at an additional cost. Funny thing about that- Lila sleeps in our room. We won't need a second bedroom for another year or so.

Of course, we then lucked out and I got transferred to Denver- so now we own a 4 bedroom house at a monthly cost that is less than that bigger apartment in Chicago, and we have 3 bedrooms we don't really need- YET

One day my wife and I were in the Lucky Brand store getting some Tshirts, and I came home with over $100 worth of baby stuff. Lila is already about to grow out of that stuff. we got about 2-3 months out of it. (dumb)

The reason I am posting this is because in my excitement about being a new Dad I probably spent a lot of money I didn't need to spend in the name of preparing for the baby. We could really use to have some of that money now.

My advisce regarding your cars is- take you time, make the right decision for you.

Some other advice...

I read several books, and that was a good thing. The best book I read was "Be Prepared" http://www.beprepared.net/

After 6 months I can honestly say the book was the best $19.00 I spent.

I was also sure to attend all Dr. visits. This seems extrenuous sometimes- especially when there is more than one appt per week- but it is a good use of your time. Even though your significant other may say it is no big deal if you aren't there- it actually can be- especially if unexpected bad news happens.

Not sure about other Dads on here, but I can verify that life changes a lot once the baby is born. The best thing about being an enthusiastic new Dad is that you won't realize how much everything has changed.

Example- I barely ever drink anymore. I used to go for beers at least once a week with coworkers and friends, but not anymore. I didn't even notice until a coworker mentioned it to me in passing. Do i miss it?

Well, I didn't even notice...

Your life adapts to the changes, and you go on.

I will also say that it isn't selfish to take a little time for yourself- I still went to Vegas with my buddies this year- but it IS selfish to not allow your significant other the same luxury. I try to make sure my wife gets to go out. She is hard pressed to travel like I did since she is breast feeding.

Most of all enjoy it- it's the best thing that ever happened to me i can tell you that much!

P

Never had any bother driving my babies around in my Integra. Reliable, good mileage, sufficient trunk room for the usual baby stuff.

If I were to buy a "big" car (like an SUV or a minivan) I'd make sure to get a 7- or 8-passenger one. I don't understand 5-passenger SUVs -- I can haul five people in my Integra just as easily. But now that my big girl is 10, there are plenty of times where it would be nice to haul around her and a bunch of her friends. My buddy has an Odyssey, and it's a real sweet ride.

Congrats !!!!
I have toyed with the idea of selling my NSX once we adopted our child. I have decided to keep it for the time being as it is paid off and isn't insured/driven at all. Cost O to keep it right now.
Instead of selling it, I bought a used 07Civic Si for a more practical car and I absolutely love it.
Best of luck with your decision.

Fatherhood rocks! :cool:

Its a balancing act, just like anything else.

Start a 529 savings plan now! :wink:

Carwizkid... I almost went out and did the same exact thing you did. Glad you offer some great advice here. I am typically cheap and rarely spend any money, but all that goes out the window when it comes to my wife and unborn child.
I want the very best for them. Wow... just sounded like I'm a grown man.

Anyhow, I hope the X will never have to go.

I had my Toyota Land Cruiser which was great when the kiddies were little. When my second was born, we would take two strollers every where with us. The third row was folded up for extra storage. I also had an entertainment system (DVD/VCR) installed which made traveling or long drives much easier for them Now that they are grown (11 & 9), storage is not a major issue on a daily basis anymore. They bring their Nintendo DS' or an iTouch with them for entertainment.

Can't believe that this is actually happening. I’ve worked hard all my life just to prepare for the future. I guess the future is here. Can’t really explain the feeling I have now except being very excited and nervous all at the same time. This is not like having a car where you can get rid of it when no longer interested. Or even a fish where you can toss it in the near by pond. Now my biggest dilemma…. To sell or not to sell the NSX. Everything is paid for so no note/loan on cars and toys. Setting priorities straight is my priority.
Thinking of selling the X for a more practical SUV. Currently have an M, the X, and a Z. Another thought is to pick up an additional vehicle for the family and keep everything else. However, 2 people really do not need 4 cars. This is just too much IMO. Anyways…. What did you guys do when you got to this bridge in life?
First, congratulations on your first child. If your wife is going to be a stay at home mom, then you may not need to get another car. However, since you will be a first time parent, just make sure you can change diapers easily in the car/SUV/minivan. Cars are not very diaper friendly. SUV and minivan are more friendly for diaper changing. There will come a day when you are alone with your baby, and, the big one comes. For me, it was hard to change a diaper on the rear seat of a car compare to changing diapers in the back of the minivan. In a car, with the help of gravity, the baby will roll toward the back of the seat. In a minivan or SUV, the baby will stay fairly flat. Naturally when you are alone on this task, the baby will want to twist, arch, kick and who knows what. If you are unlucky, the baby will pee when the diaper is off. With a flat surface in a SUV or minivan, the diaper pad sits nicely underneath and can absorb most (if not all) of the run off; however, if you are using the rear seat of a car, the run off will go into the back crease of the seat.:eek: Trust me, I've been baptized by all of my kids (2 boys and 2 girls).:redface: Two of my kids baptized me more than once.:mad:

Word of wisdom on diapers. When the diaper packaging says "fits 10-16 lbs", don't believe it. The diaper will not hold 10 lbs of baby poop.:biggrin::eek: I find a minivan is more useful than a SUV. One parent can craw back to the child while the minivan is in motion (assuming someone is drive). When it is raining, you can get the child ready from the backof the minivan before stepping out of the vehicle (my preference/opinion only).

Keep the NSX if the wife allows, but having 2 vehicles that can carry the family will give you and your wife lots of flexibility in the future.

Is the baby a boy or girl? Welcome to the joy of parenthood.:smile:

Last edited:
Slamstorm...I was laughing my arse off reading your reply. This is what Prime is really good for. It offers info that no consumer report can ever write about.
Funny thing is I noticed parents changing diapers in the parking lot and wonder how the heck I can do in my sedan. The word minivan is so scary to me. My wife and I vowed not to ever drive minivans. So I guess that's out of the picture. However, you are very convincing with the facts.

First of all congratulations. My 4 1/2 month old baby girl has been a dream. There is nothing and I mean nothing like having your baby smile at you when she wakes up from a nap or from her/his evening sleep. Of course she could just be peeing!!!

Concerning changing diapers like slamstorm suggested. I am purchasing a 2007 Audi Avant. Nothing like a tailgate section that doubles as a diaper changing table. Of course you could always use your NSX!

DSC00589.jpg

I have been going back and forth on selling my car. It is listed on prime but think I may just keep it. I don't need to sell it but don't want it just sitting in the garage either.

Good luck to you and congrats again.

José

My wife and I vowed not to ever drive minivans.

That's what my wife and I said until we had our 3rd child in 1995. We are in the process of getting another Odyssey (probably within the year). You should get what you (and your wife) will be comfortable with.

First of all congratulations. My 4 1/2 month old baby girl has been a dream. There is nothing and I mean nothing like having your baby smile at you when she wakes up from a nap or from her/his evening sleep. Of course she could just be peeing!!!

Concerning changing diapers like slamstorm suggested. I am purchasing a 2007 Audi Avant. Nothing like a tailgate section that doubles as a diaper changing table. Of course you could always use your NSX!

DSC00589.jpg

I have been going back and forth on selling my car. It is listed on prime but think I may just keep it. I don't need to sell it but don't want it just sitting in the garage either.

Good luck to you and congrats again.

José

From the looks of your photo, I guess you tried using your NSX as a bassinet also?:biggrin:

Congrats! NOTHING is better than fatherhood. Prepare to change your priorities. Keep the NSX. My boy first ride was on my NSX. I picked him up from the hospital after he was born there. My second boy who is 3 years old constantly wants to ride on the NSX. Even the kids know what a cool car that is.
Steve

Back