• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looks like I am going to sell my '91, can anyone talk me out of it???

Looks like I am putting my 1991 for sale in the next few weeks. I have a 17 month old son, so a bigger car is needed soon. I am so riding the fence on this! I own my dreamcar, and it is in very excellent condition, but responsibility is weighing heavy.

Can someone talk me (my wife especially) out of this, PLEASE! :frown:

If he sells his nsx, there's a good chance he could develop a studdddddder!( Quote from Big Daddy)

Is the NSX the only car in your household? If so, then sell it. If not, then keep it, and use the other car when the three of you need to go somewhere.

nsxtasy said:
Is the NSX the only car in your household? If so, then sell it. If not, then keep it, and use the other car when the three of you need to go somewhere.

Exactly what I was thinking. There's nothing more important than family (belated congrat's on the son, BTW) and I am the last person to tell you to put a car in front of the family. However, if you've got another car and you can make it work than do that. Life is about balance and even the most mature people can build up lust and resentment for something they either once had an let go somewhat unwillingly or really want and never have done for themselves.

My old man had sports cars when I was young and it fueld my passion to be come a car nut today. Cars are a healthy way for sons and fathers to bond. But... if I had a son and I didn't have another car... the NSX would be gone.

We have a Lexus RX300 SUV, but it is limiting only having one vehicle that can safely tote our son.

Boy, I feel "responsible" here, and sorta hate it!

I considered getting a third vehicle, but that is worse. Now I am spending "college investment" money so I can have another car?

If your car is silver, let me know, as I am interested in adding a really nice mid mileage NSX to my collection (but in silver or white only).

Mike
[email protected]

'91 NSX (Red/ black with 27k miles)
'96 Porsche 993 Cabriolet (HRE wheels, etc)
'65 Corvette
GTO Convertible (being restored)
+ other mundane daily drivers

Just buy a (safe) piece of crap to beat around in.
Maybe its time to add a truck to the stable?
Just buy a $2000-$3000 beater.
Well, thats what I would do as image means nothing
to me........ :eek:

MCM said:
Just buy a (safe) piece of crap to beat around in.
Maybe its time to add a truck to the stable?
Just buy a $2000-$3000 beater.
Well, thats what I would do as image means nothing
to me........ :eek:
I fully agree.

While I happen to have personally 2-3 other vehicles besides the NSX at my disposal, most of the time I drive around my beater car which is my pride and joy. I love my 200K+ beater. :smile:

I think the inexpensive truck is the ticket. I mean, what wife could complain about having a truck around. You never know how handy a truck is until you have one. As for selling the NSX, I say keep it if you are financially able and the family has everything they need. I doubt your wife gave up all of her shoes, clothes, or whatever hobby she has when you got married. I don't know why you have to give up yours. I know alot of miserable guys who gave up all the fun stuff they had when they got married. She accepted the NSX enough to marry (assuming you had it before then), so why should that change now?

Last edited:
My buddy sold his RX-7 to buy an Accord, because of "family concerns" driven by his wife.

Turns out he regrets it EVERY DAY (the selling his RX-7, not the family).

He took the hit on selling his sports car (several thouand)
He took the hit on buying a new family car (tens of thousands)
Turns out he has NEVER had to transport more than one person or the child in his family car.

He could have easily gotten by with just putting a child seat in on the passenger side. Now he has a car he doesn't want or need. He is out some $25K that could have been spent somplace else.

The NSX comes along with the EXTREME RELIABILITY, GREAT GAS MPG and A GREAT SAFTEY RECORD. You would be making a terrible mistake to move away from the NSX to any other car. The *only* exception is that you KNOW that you will be transporting more than one passenger....not that you MIGHT or COULD...that YOU MUST. (Might or could is complete nonsense, especially when they are fullfilled at such a high cost.)

Keep your NSX. I'm keeping mine, my wife agrees. One "family" car is plenty....the NSX is my commuter, fully depreciated and reliable.

Drew
/would not know what to drive to work if I had to choose anything but an NSX

This seems to be a common problem. Kid comes along, wife wants to sell sports car, guy doesn't want too = tension. Sure... you need to be practical with a family, but if you sell the NSX you're also selling your DREAM car. Men all too often give up the very thing that keeps them excited, alive and adventurous; then the wife wonders why her man isn't quite the same anymore. :( Our cars help define us.

If you really want to keep the NSX, there is ALWAYS some way around the problem without giving it up. Go over the options first. Maybe you just need a car seat -- plenty of other owners have done this.

I say keep the NSX and keep your DREAM.

I think the inexpensive truck is the ticket.

I wish. My neighborhood does not allow trucks. If I have a truck, it must be in the garage. You can probably guess the NSX take priority in the garage!

The third vehicle is not really an option.

She accepted the NSX enough to marry (assuming you had it before then), so why should that change now?

She actually encouraged me to by my NSX, after we were married.

This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

What about the option of selling the lexus to get two lesser expensive models of cars/suv? Is she willing to budge on that?

Distance Runner said:
I wish. My neighborhood does not allow trucks. If I have a truck, it must be in the garage. You can probably guess the NSX take priority in the garage!

The third vehicle is not really an option.

She actually encouraged me to by my NSX, after we were married.

This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:
Sounds like you need to move to a new neighborhood.

Some of my neighbors have 8 car garages. Having 4 vehicles is not adequate for me.

Distance Runner said:

Why would you want to live in a neighborhood that can dictate to you what you can or can not own?

Distance Runner said:

Are you sure they don't mean a "work truck"? Our Homeowners Association has a similar provision, but it is only in reference to a commercial type vehicle with company lettering on the side (like an electrician for instance). It's not applicable to trucks like the S-10, F-150, etc that are just regular daily driver type vehicles. I've never heard of anyplace not allowing you to have a pickup, no matter how nice of a neighborhood it is.

Distance Runner said:
Looks like I am putting my 1991 for sale in the next few weeks. I have a 17 month old son, so a bigger car is needed soon. I am so riding the fence on this! I own my dreamcar, and it is in very excellent condition, but responsibility is weighing heavy.

Can someone talk me (my wife especially) out of this, PLEASE! :frown:

I feel your pain.

I put mine up for sale over a year ago. I have not shown it to anyone yet, despite daily email messages and frequent phone calls.

I walk by it in the garage and imagine what it would be like if it were not there (shudder) or what I would put in it's place.

Getting something older but still in demand, like an older Jeep, might relieve the situation somewhat. They are fun, seat more than two, and you wont take a hit when you sell it.

advice from a father of three...

having kids is a great reason to own an nsx...
sometimes pa just hasta get away...

keep your wheels, daddy.

Distance Runner said:
We have a Lexus RX300 SUV, but it is limiting only having one vehicle that can safely tote our son.

Boy, I feel "responsible" here, and sorta hate it!

I considered getting a third vehicle, but that is worse. Now I am spending "college investment" money so I can have another car?

IF you let your wife drive your NSX :eek: You'll probably have more options in 'who can transport your son'
For the last 17 months - you've manage, wonder why now? If you willing to wait longer here's a possible solution
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43115&highlight=passenger+airbag

Just my $0.02 - sacrifices part of family life :smile:

Are you sure they don't mean a "work truck"? Our Homeowners Association has a similar provision, but it is only in reference to a commercial type vehicle with company lettering on the side (like an electrician for instance). It's not applicable to trucks like the S-10, F-150, etc that are just regular daily driver type vehicles. I've never heard of anyplace not allowing you to have a pickup, no matter how nice of a neighborhood it is.

No trucks at all! Believe me, it's true.

Have you thought that she might be using this as a test, to see how far she can control/manipulate you?

Just a thought (because to me, since you already have a vehicle in which you can all fit, I don't see any reason why you need to sell the NSX)...

Better Airbag link:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35758

Your wife is in family mode, you gotta set some boundries. This is a good time to do it. This mode, if left unchecked, will cause you great issues if they are not dealt with now. Tell you wife that selling your car will make you unhappy and that if BECOMES impractible then you will sell it.

While kids are important and a high priority: they are not everything. You have to take care of yourself and each other or you will not be able to take care of anybody else. (I spoke with my wife and she agrees: it is too easy for the new mom to decide that everything is about kids and parenting. This causes everything else --most especially your relationship-- to suffer. You should not be downgraded to #2 or #3 in her life.)

Drew

Back