• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looks like we have a winner...Blu-Ray

copied from a recent report from the CES event....

Wondering whether to go with Blu-ray or HD-DVD? The decision is pretty clear, if the lightning fast drama and events over the past few days at CES are any indication.

First, last Friday, Warner Bros. announced it was switching its exclusive deal for next-gen disc availability of its movies (everything from 'The Matrix' to 'Lord of the RIngs') from HD-DVD to Blu-ray. This was enough to get the pundits, speculators, and naysayers foaming at the mouth with pronouncements that Blu-ray could well have won the war of next-gen, HD-quality disc formats.

Then, on Sunday, the HD-DVD group cancelled its CES press conference and event. Rather than spinning the Warner Bros. news with a smiling, confident face, the HD-DVD camp basically surrendered the public relations war, which leads us to believe that either it was totally caught off guard and suddenly had no press announcement at the 11th hour. It certainly was a tough position to be in, but at least Toshiba's VP of DVD marketing, Jody Sally kept a strong front by saying "HD-DVD is not dead," at a press conference on Sunday. (Toshiba was one of the major investors behind the HD-DVD format.) Not a bad strategy considering that company just released some hot new Qosmio laptops with the world's first rewriteable HD-DVD drive, among other features.

Still, the rumors have kept on flying, from naysayings by 'Transformers' director Michael Bay to word that Target may soon start selling only Blu-ray discs.

Now the Financial Times is saying that Paramount may be bowing out of its commitments to HD-DVD, which makes it the last major studio to move over to the other side. Until this latest news broke, early pronouncements of HD-DVD's demise may have seemed a bit premature, but now all those early naysayers seem to have been right on the money.

Yesterday, we took images of the adjoining booths on the show floor. As you can see, the Blu-ray booth was flooded with visitors, while the HD-DVD booth was relatively sleepy (giving its workers time to work on their resumes, no doubt).

So, what does this mean for you? Well, if you recently bought (or received) one of those $199 HD-DVD players that were for sale everywhere, don't worry -- you have, in effect, a fine DVD player that will upscale regular DVDs to quasi-HDTV quality.

If you're in the market for one of these players to show off the HD capabilities of your new TV, then it's safe to say that Blu-ray is the way to go. Plenty of new Blu-ray players (and drives and PCs) are on display at the show, and it's even rumored that Apple will announce Blu-ray drives at next week's MacWorld Expo.

And for existing owners of Blu-ray players, there's even more good news: This year some of those much touted online elements, such as Blu-ray Live, which let you download information on a movie from the Web or even play games with others over the Internet, will finally make their way onto Blu-ray discs later this year (or so says the Blu-ray disc camp).

So it seems like the battle of next-gen discs has been won by Blu-ray, but the war between the different HD-content distribution camps is far from over. In fact, it didn't look like Bill Gates, whose Microsoft was also a big supporter of HD-DVD, was phased in the least bit the other night at his last CES keynote. In fact, Gates focused on digital distribution (over the Internet) of SD and HD content from even more content partners (Showtime, ABC). In other words, he's probably thanking his lucky stars that Microsoft hedged its bets and offered HD-DVD as a separate drive for the Xbox 360 rather than built-in.

Regardless, over the last few days, HD-DVD's star has fallen about as quickly as a certain Democrat's presidential campaign, making us want to call HD-DVD the Hillary Clinton of optical disc formats (or is Hillary Clinton the HD-DVD of presidential candidates?).

Let's just hope that nobody from the HD-DVD camp jumps out of a window, because what happened to that team over the past few days was extremely harsh and sudden, the stuff of a prime-time soap, if prime-time soaps actually bothered themselves with dorky topics like movie disc formats.

Yes! I knew Transformers would get to blu ray sooner or later:biggrin:

Sorry for you guys that invested in the losing product oh wait I guess that makes you guys losers too... J/K:wink:

Yes! I knew Transformers would get to blu ray sooner or later:biggrin:

Sorry for you guys that invested in the losing product oh wait I guess that makes you guys losers too... J/K:wink:

Shaddup! Guess it's time to ditch my Toshiba and buy a Blue Ray player.

Shaddup! Guess it's time to ditch my Toshiba and buy a Blue Ray player.

Ditch the gray HD NSX while your at it and a step up to a BLU RAY Blue NSX:biggrin:

You know, after I posted, I knew you were going to get me on that! Damn!!!

So I have to buy a retardily expensive DVD player now...great.:frown:

I'm not a media/telecom guy, but this whole Blu-Ray breakthrough in the last few days seems like a (smart) strategic approach. So, Microsoft and Paramount are HD. And, suddenly, Warner Bros announces it goes Blu-Ray. Ohh Myy Goddd!!!!! That's just another vendor. But, if you're Blu-Ray, you do everything you can to tout this event as "game changing" and get PR to push "WB is now Blu-Ray, therefore, it's official -- Blu-Ray is the only future way to go" reports.

Makes sense from a marketing perspective. But, I'm not sure if Blu-Ray has done *anything* more than land a big contract with WB.

Edit: I wouldn't rush out to buy that Blu-Ray DVD player now. We'll have a winner (or...gasp...two winners and a shared technology) in a year or so. :)

eh.. i dont feel like replacing my entire dvd collection cause of better resolution. Regular dvd's look just fine to me. I'll upgrade when the blu-ray movies drop down to the same price as regular dvd's are.

I also don't see replacing my DVDs with Blu-ray discs -- but I will for some films. LOTR, for example, if/when it's released. Middle Earth in 1080p probably looks ultra sweet.

I also don't see replacing my DVDs with Blu-ray discs -- but I will for some films. LOTR, for example, if/when it's released. Middle Earth in 1080p probably looks ultra sweet.

agreed. some films aren't even worth the extra BUCK to see in high resolution.... but there are those few, that truly are cinematic eye candy that is well deserving of a high-def screening....

wasn't there some article saying the BLu-ray players today aren't compatiable with some issue? 1.1, 1.0 or some 2.0 thing? :confused:

You guys should just buy a PS3 and use an HDMI cord. PS3 automatically up converts your standard DVDs and if you want a a newer movie with the higher def blu rays are cheaper nowadays anyway.

I sold all of my HD-DVD's yesterday except Transformers. If it ever comes on Bluray my HD-DVD add on for Xbox 360 goes, it's real crap compared to what PS3 offers. The plastic remote with green backlight is a joke.

Just playing safe. That said, I only purchase High Def discs of special effect movies, which means drama, thriller, horror, comedy etc. movies is bought on DVD.

WingZ: PS3 really sucks on DVD's... I don't know why but even Pioneers cheapest HDMI models are better...

so who's actually making good/best stand alone BLU-RAY players these days?

Like some have said, i'll wait to buy a Blu-Ray player, or even HD-DVD if its still around later, when prices drop considerably.

we've been talking about this in another thread as well. i have an hd-dvd player but as amazon keeps lowering the price, i keep calling and getting credits. at this point i've paid about $40 for it and got 7 free hd-dvds. i sold one for $22, and i'm waiting for the other 5 to show up in the mail, i'll sell those as well. i'll actually make money on this one so while I really thought HD-DVD would win, I'm not all that disappointed. In fact I now have an excuse to get a PS3 someday. I really don't want one, but it's the best buy on the planet right now if you want a BR player.

BTW regarding this quote in the OP:

"And for existing owners of Blu-ray players, there's even more good news: This year some of those much touted online elements, such as Blu-ray Live, which let you download information on a movie from the Web or even play games with others over the Internet, will finally make their way onto Blu-ray discs later this year (or so says the Blu-ray disc camp)."

It's my understanding that no BR player sold to date can support this (other than possibly the PS3 with future upgrades). I recently saw a comment on EngadgetHD about this and they asked a Sony (?) rep and the response was along the lines of 'the early adopters knew what they were getting into, they knew they'd have to upgrade eventually, in the meantime, their players will do what they're supposed to, deliver great quality audio and video'.

That's what I heard too, about early adopters of Blu-Ray. They are screwed as far as those other features.

That's what I heard too, about early adopters of Blu-Ray. They are screwed as far as those other features.

Sony already announced that the latest features (Profile 2.0) will be incorporated in a firmware update for PS3. And, fortunately, the PS3 represents the largest share of Blu-ray players in the market.

Life as an early adopter is always harsh...I still have a first generation DVD player that has no support for DTS, has issues playing some of the later DVDs, and has limited support for recordable media.

Its even harsher if you're an adopter of a losing format.

eh.. i dont feel like replacing my entire dvd collection cause of better resolution. Regular dvd's look just fine to me. I'll upgrade when the blu-ray movies drop down to the same price as regular dvd's are.

Why replace DVDs? Blu-ray players will still play your old DVDs- in fact the upgraded player upscales your old DVDs and improves the images.

I have over 300 DVDs, and they aren't going anywhere, but it will be a cool option to buy new movies in the High Def format.

I am also using my PS3 as my Blu-ray, so I get the added benefit of gaming on the machine too.

Philip

i called it :cool:

but, seriously, it's not too hard to see.... it's quite clear which one is better, no? :confused:

no, it's not quite clear. both formats are equal in quality, the same compression algorithms are used, it's just the container that's different. i'm just glad one of them finally appears to be emergent. if i was a betting man i would have said hd-dvd, but i really don't care which won ultimately.

Back