• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lost my key....

i lost my only key for my car. What do I do now? She is in my garage....but qwhen I went to drive her
frown.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

Talk to the dealer where you take your car for service. They should be able to find out the code for the key from Acura HQ, and cut you a new key from the code.

Originally posted by Auraraptor:
thanks Nsxtasy,

just wondering, any Idea on how long it would take? (for them to basicly hand me the key)

Don't know how long to research/obtain code but once in hand, 10 minutes top. Had two cut but I did have the code off of the original. Wouldn't take code over the phone to have it precut. Had to drive in. Nice to know the dealer was looking out for me and security of the car. Good luck!
smile.gif

Thanks brot!

I will go tomorrow to the dealership....

..only thing is how do I prove I have the car to them? take the title/registration and such? For insurance its under my mother's name and now she is out of country on a nice vacation.

So will they give it to me?
confused.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

Take out any lock cylinder ie. the trunk because it's easier to get to, and bring it to a locksmith. They should be able to make make you a new key from that.
Are you sure your mom didn't take the key's away from you since she's out of town?
smile.gif

Since this is a 1997 car, it's not as simple as just cutting a key. The '97 cars have the electronic immobilizer system.

That means you can unlock the car with any properly cut key, but you can only start the car with a key that has a correctly programmed transponder chip in it.

Call your dealer and ask them what they need from you to get you running again. I believe they can reprogram the system to run off a new key instead of having to swap out the whole ignition module.

Back