• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

loud regular banging/cracking noise coming from the dash

When my engine is going there is a loud regular banging/cracking noise coming from the dash, like a reasonably fast drum beat (not the machine gun type noise that comes from the ABS). With just the iginition on, it only makes the noise now and then. The stereo and air con are both off. Any thoughts please?

Sounds like snap ring. :D

Ok jokes aside (that was a joke?! :rolleyes: ) this is what i uncovered...

Ambient Temperature Fan:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm (Under "What's That Buzzing Sound From The Console?" section)
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16555 How to fix it.

ABS/Accumulator:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46983

Check this out if you haven't already and see if that's a possible cause. I know in my experience with PC's that if a fan blade breaks it can create a drum beat-like sound. If not, you better hope that Larry Bastanza reads this thread. :D

Thanks Mike, but no it is not the ABS type noise (I have had that noise in both my NSXs - you just learn to live with it, and it only happens after heavy braking and as you know I never do that) and it is not the temperature fan (I had the buzzing sound from that fan in my last NSX and got rid of it by buying a bottle of compressed air as suggested in the thread).

The noise is much louder than the temperature fan noise (I don't think that little fan has blades big enough to make much of a banging noise, plus it would do it all the time when just the ignition was on wouldn't it?). It can not really be heard from under the bonnet, just from inside the car, so it definitely seems to be coming from the dash.

Thanks for the responses.

Briank said:
Could be one of the damper motors the the Heat/AC system. Even with the CCU off the damper motors do still move. Have you had any work done on the Heat/AC system before the problem started?

No I have not had any work done on the Heat/AC system.

Whatwasthat said:
Maybe something under the hood. Tighten down the spare tire bracket

The noise also happens when the ignition is on but the engine is not going so can't be that

will test the sub amp theory tonight

thanks again..........if anyone else has any ideas keep firing them through:smile:

update.........no, it is not the sub amp.

more hints
- it is definitely coming from the area behind the vents in the centre of the dash just above air con unit (and when you put your hand on that area you can feel the vibrations from the banging)
- it does not happen when first turn the ignition on but then starts when I start the car and then continues when I switch the car off but leave ignition on.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds like you may have a problem with one of these motorized gearboxes :eek:

Attachments

• Louver motors red.JPG
    Louver motors red.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 122
  • gearbox red 1.JPG
    gearbox red 1.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Zennsx was "bang on the money" with his suggestion of what the problem was.........many thanks to him and the others who helped out with suggestions.

Back