• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lovefab turbo/SOS engine 3.0L 557rwhp/480rwtq

New build 3.0L NSX making 557rwhp 480rwtq on E85, Lovefab Turbo, 3.0L engine rebuild by SOS. Sleeved with forged 9.2 to 1 compression pistons.

Attachments

• IMAG0143.jpg
    IMAG0143.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0144(1).jpg
    IMAG0144(1).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 183
Welcome to the family.

he's been in the family longer than most have been on prime or owned their cars.

Good to see you back in the saddle.....again.... wayne! We need a little bit of freeway pull action in the near future. I'll bring mine.

Nice numbers.

1. I'd recommend always posting hp/tq with rpm visible so people can see spool and the full curve.
2. Looks like from the boost plot and the dyno graph that there is a boost leak or something causing power to drop dramatically after 6k rpm?

he's been in the family longer than most have been on prime or owned their cars.

Good to see you back in the saddle.....again.... wayne! We need a little bit of freeway pull action in the near future. I'll bring mine.

I was referring to what the thread is about, SOS built motor w/LF turbo.

Maybe we can finally get footage of SOS twins, if you guys meet up.

Last edited:
As mentioned earlier, the boost curve shows a drop after 6k, is this intentional? If its not either your turbine housing is too small, boost control solenoid issues, or the turbo is out of steam. What turbo is that, 58mm?

gotcha! I think he actually HAD an SOS motor... although it was a minimal build... pistons only IIRC. Hey.. it lasted a HELL of a lot longer than the Basch built ones he had 3 times previously (or was it 4??)

I myself am on my very first SOS built motor... 30k-ish and counting miles. No oil burning, good compression, starts and idles every time! I don't know what kind of magical pixie dust Chris at SOS sprinkled on my engine when he built it... but the dude knows what he's doing.

gotcha! I think he actually HAD an SOS motor... although it was a minimal build... pistons only IIRC. Hey.. it lasted a HELL of a lot longer than the Basch built ones he had 3 times previously (or was it 4??)

I myself am on my very first SOS built motor... 30k-ish and counting miles. No oil burning, good compression, starts and idles every time! I don't know what kind of magical pixie dust Chris at SOS sprinkled on my engine when he built it... but the dude knows what he's doing.

Well, I'm on my 2nd SOS motor and pleased, thus far.
I still have an itch for TT & 3.4/3.5 engine build but with car running so well and no "SOS-TT" visual stimulation, I'm ok right now. :wink:

Go to first new post Lovefab turbo/SOS engine 3.0L 557rwhp/480rwtq

Here are the dyno print outs with rpm/hp and rpm/boost. New build 3.0L NSX making 557rwhp 480rwtq on E85, Lovefab Turbo, 3.0L engine rebuild by SOS. Sleeved with forged 9.2 to 1 compression pistons. Loosing upper rpm horsepower due to small turbo (PT61). It looks like a PT67 would provide some more upper end hp. This is my second SOS low comp build. I didn't sleeve the engine and split a sleeve at the 6 year (2008-14)/27k mile mark with 528/rwhp.Went through 3 BBSC low comp builds (2002-2008).

Attachments

• IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Sounds good.

- - - Updated - - -

We need an NSX run
Nice to see Wayne...We will have to get together........all of the AZ NSX's for a dinner or something.
Just not the same here since Chase is gone.
It looks like 20 lbs of boost...is this correct

Brian

Here are the dyno print outs with rpm/hp and rpm/boost. New build 3.0L NSX making 557rwhp 480rwtq on E85, Lovefab Turbo, 3.0L engine rebuild by SOS. Sleeved with forged 9.2 to 1 compression pistons. Loosing upper rpm horsepower due to small turbo (PT61). It looks like a PT67 would provide some more upper end hp. This is my second SOS low comp build. I didn't sleeve the engine and split a sleeve at the 6 year (2008-14)/27k mile mark with 528/rwhp.Went through 3 BBSC low cop builds (2002-2008).
Thanks for the better pic. What's the AR of your PT61? I'm not really familiar with that turbo, is it dual ball bearing? Are these the specs of it?:

PT61
-Compressor Wheel Inducer: 61mm
-Compressor Wheel Exducer: 82mm
-Compressor Wheel Trim: 56
-3" Inlet / 2" Outlet"
-Turbine Wheel Inducer: 71mm
-Turbine Wheel Exducer: 62mm
-Turbine Wheel Trim: 76

If so, it sounds like its almost identical to a GT/GTX3582R:
-Compressor Wheel Inducer: 62.5mm
-Compressor Wheel Exducer: 82.5mm
-Compressor Wheel Trim: 56
-Turbine Wheel Inducer: 68.0mm
-Turbine Wheel Exducer: 62.3mm
-Turbine Wheel Trim: 84

BTW - great response/spool! Since you're making peak power at 6,200rpm and the power is tanking pretty bad above that, it appears you have a significant restriction in the system. It may be your exhaust or charge pipe routing. You should not be dropping off that fast even with a fairly small AR.

Last edited:
Here are the dyno print outs with rpm/hp and rpm/boost. New build 3.0L NSX making 557rwhp 480rwtq on E85, Lovefab Turbo, 3.0L engine rebuild by SOS. Sleeved with forged 9.2 to 1 compression pistons. Loosing upper rpm horsepower due to small turbo (PT61). It looks like a PT67 would provide some more upper end hp. This is my second SOS low comp build. I didn't sleeve the engine and split a sleeve at the 6 year (2008-14)/27k mile mark with 528/rwhp.Went through 3 BBSC low comp builds (2002-2008).

Thank you again for your business Wayne, we're happy to see the black beast on the road again!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - great response/spool! Since you're making peak power at 6,200rpm and the power is tanking pretty bad above that, it appears you have a significant restriction in the system. It may be your exhaust or charge pipe routing. You should not be dropping off that fast even with a fairly small AR.

This is typical response for this size turbo with this system, we've tuned quite a few. The efficiency peaks out around 500 hp.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your thumbs up Gerry! That reliability can be attributed to superior parts & craftsmanship - Jeff's fine work, not mine. Jeff has built more than 50 NSX engines in his 12 years at ScienceofSpeed.

regards,
-- Chris Willson
General Manager

This is typical response for this size turbo with this system, we've tuned quite a few. The efficiency peaks out around 500 hp.
I'm not familiar with the P61 but it looks similary sized to the GT35R. Do you know what a/r he's running or what the turbo flows?

attachment.php

[MENTION=20403]NSXZERO[/MENTION] is running 9.0:1 compression on his 3.2L and is running a GTX3582R (EDIT - 1.06 a/r) which flows 75lbs/min. I know its hard to compare and is apples : oranges but generally they seem to spool around the same RPM, but the GTX35R does not tank at 6,000rpm and keeps making power to 6,800rpm. Maybe it flows more at a higher pressure ratio?

NSX%20-%20NSXZero%20-%20Angus%20Turbo%20GTX3582R%203.2L%209-1%20comp%20750cc%20inj%20SMALL%20SOS%20IC%2018psi%20604hp%20intake%20tube%20630whp%20filter%20on%20turbo%20E.jpg

Last edited:
Curious... what are you high HP/TQ guys doing for your drivetrain to handle the extra load?

I heard that 450rwhp and things start to snap/crackle.

I thought the limitations was closer to 550whp?

I've snapped a few axles but got the driveshaft shop ones installed now. Well it's the joints that fail and break up

Also installed ATS LSD, SOS clutch

So leaves the gearbox. Hoping the magic number is 550 tq/hp there. From searching the forum there seems no set rule. As you say some guys push those number and get away with it. Be good to know for sure as you say.

I did see a recent article about a gear kit in development for the 5 speed.

It's the whole shaft on the left from the hub to the gear box, on the right it's the outer part of the half shaft only. Peiserg if your snapping the smaller intermediate shaft these arnt going to help, however drive shaft shop did say they would make the short shaft if there was demand.

I say left to right because my car is RHD :tongue: i sit on the right side of my car and not the wrong side haha.

Seriously though, i have broke a few in the past. They break mainly from launching. Well i did the first time and at the time i couldn't get another shaft so i had it rebuilt and i think the rebuild was fine for NA but as soon as i went FI the rebuilt joint didn't last.

When comparing prices for new shafts, buying used shafts i thought i might as well replace them.

The mechanic didn't comment on the install, so it must of went well.

They are a tight fit, ie jacking up the car and rotating the wheel back and fourth. They are also rated allot higher HP.

There is one big downfall to them, they are the weak part in the chain, now they are stronger if they don't break the gearbox is now more vulnerable.

I've had my car now 4 years + i've grown up a little, i now have nothing to prove so i don't tend to launch the car, there is no need to. I can get off the line slowly and catch most things up. I've now got launch control if i ever at an event i'm going from a standstill, which can be set at a lower rpm so your not dropping the clutch high rpm.

Last edited:
Years ago I was speaking to Coz and he was breaking 3rd gear a few times. I think he was making 600-650rwhp at the time.

He said that the violent surge in power when the boost kicked seemed to be the culprit.

I think he is going centrifugal blower route for a smoother power delivery.

Now when I see numbers and cars with this much hp I wish my motor was sleeved. I left that part of my build out and now it's hurting because I'm stuck around 500-550whp. Nice numbers and glad to see this car back on the road!

Would you want anymore than that though? How's everything else holding up?

I'm planing on building my motor to handle more but i will run about the same as you purely for a reliability point of view. I can't afford to build it a second time and to replace other parts on a regular basis.

Allot of the guys with the big power builds get their cars de tuned.

Back