• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Low boost S/Cer interest

With Comptech out of the S/Cer business I've been re-thinking my decision not to market a S/Cer kit. If there was enough interest in a relatively low cost ($5k or less) low boost (5 lbs) Eaton based system I might consider it. The layout would be based on my current design without the IC and other frills (see www.mscperformance.com). With a low boost system I think a simple raising rate fuel pressure system along with a few basic electronic tricks would be safe. Obviously, we’re not talking 400 hp here, probably more like 310-320 on a 3.0 with little potential for more (unless you want to spend another $5K). But for the person only looking for a 60-70 hp bump it might be a legitimate option. Any comments?

I was browsing your web site on the engine rebuild. Did u finish building the engine? on you page it said "More to come . . . ."

Bryan

Not done yet. If you want the best parts and best machining you gotta wait in line, at least that's my experience. For example, my billet main caps took 4months from one of the best shops back east and when I received them they were wrong. Another 3 months. The best machine shop here in SoCal quoted me 3 months wait for an align bore/hone once I get good caps. It's been frustrating but I have lots of other projects so time goes by pretty fast. I'll update the website once I get the last parts in and begin re-assy.

With regards to the Targa question I'd say no, I doubt it'll fit under the engine cover unless I use a aux drive shaft like the BB system. That's too complex and expensive. The beauty of the Comptech system was its intergral intake/charger housing which allowed a low profile. It was also one of its weaknesses (difficult to IC). In any case, it was an expensive casting (when you consider the tooling costs). A fabricated manifold would work as well but again it's very labor intensive and would not be in alignment with the goal of producing a low cost S/Cer solution.

I would definitely be interested if the system is reliable and customer support is good. I am not a speed freak so just a little bit more power would be great. I don't want to have to build the bottom end or change my head studs or gaskets to accommodate higher boost.

How difficult is the system to install and what are the projected total costs including install and tuning? Finally, what type of support can we expect?

Thanks,

Nate in DC

Last edited:
I would definitely be interested if the system is reliable and customer support is good. I am not a speed freak so just a little bit more power would be great. I don't want to have to build the bottom end or change my head studs or gaskets to accommodate higher boost.

How difficult is the system to install and what are the projected total costs including install and tuning? Finally, what type of support can we expect?

Thanks,

Nate in DC
\

+1
i'm definitely with you on that. would be really interested if it was safe and good customer support.

Probably most of us here have already spent close to a grand for just an upgraded stainless exhaust that maybe netted us a realistic ~10 rwhp. And close to the same numbers for a set of headers. So a solid 60 rwhp, that you can feel in 2nd gear down low, that won't instantly mandate a $2k clutch upgrade, is SAFE, and for no more than $5k, I believe would have a huge market.

In addition to the NSX I have thought of buying an S2000 just so I'd have a $5k supercharger option.

I don't mind hearing that I'd need an engine rebuild at 200k miles versus a nonbootsted engine that could go to 250k miles... any boost means wear, but thats understood and acceptable in small percentages. But I don't want a melted piston in the interim.

There are traffic situations in the 5spd where you can't shift to first, and 2nd has a long wait for the power.... The R&P is arguably the other way to spend $5k, but IMHO not nearly as much fun as a cost effective SC.

Let me know when the test mules have some miles on them and the order list starts....

2cts added....

Thanks,

Nate in DC

I'd need to make the whole thing something anyone with basic hand tools and some mechanical aptitude could install. The biggest pain is the relocation of the throttle body. This is one area where a turbo setup is much cleaner. However, I'm toying with the idea of keeping the stock TB as is, adding a second simple butterfly in front of the blower, and running a tandem throttle cable. Need to think about that one a bit . . . Anyway, the second pain is that the blower typically blocks access to front bank spark plugs, etc, making routine maintenance difficult. I have an idea for a very simple blower mount which would enable someone to quickly remove and re-install the blower if needed. The airbox is the third issue. I'd prefer to keep the box as is but that may take a custom cover like the one on my car. With regards to tuning my going in position would be that none is required. A rising rate fuel pressure system is pretty basic and if designed correctly should be a "bolt on" and go situation with such a low boost system. Problems with "tuning" come up when people (either the mfg or the consumer) try to push the envelope of the given FI system and/or the vehicle's design limitations.

Does the rising rate fuel pressure system negate the need for an additional engine management system? If so, would an additional ems like AEM make the system more tunable? What types of af ratios could we expect using the rrfps?

thats crazy im doing my setup right now! im modeling mine basically like the gruppe m kit. tuning via rom emulator and then ill burn a new chip.

You can get a safe AF ratio using fuel pressure up to about 5 psi, after that things start to diverge. It won't be optimum as it's only based on load but it should be safe. Using the AEM would be a step up but it's not consistent with a low cost solution.

Why can't you do 5/6lbs with a turbo and the same ideas?

Just wondering, A small turbo some pipe and tuning? It might even cost less than 5k?

You can buy used M90s (Ford used them for many years) and rebuild them better than new for a fraction of the cost of a turbo, that's the only way to pull it off for $5K or less.

MARK 911- PLease check your pm and let me know if you need a test mule or first customer. As this kit is exactly what I am looking for.

Sound relatively safe. I am definitely interested.
How's the project coming along?

With Comptech out of the S/Cer business I've been re-thinking my decision not to market a S/Cer kit. If there was enough interest in a relatively low cost ($5k or less) low boost (5 lbs) Eaton based system I might consider it...we’re not talking 400 hp here, probably more like 310-320 on a 3.0 with little potential for more (unless you want to spend another $5K). But for the person only looking for a 60-70 hp bump it might be a legitimate option. Any comments?

I'd interested in more information. Sounds like a winner if you can get it into production. :smile:

Good luck,

Looking forward to seeing the progress of this.......=)

Back