• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lower Front "A" Arms

I just found a bad ball joint on a lower front "A" arm on my '91. The ball joint is NOT replaceable, you have to replace the whole "A" arm! I found that a NEW (51360-SLO-020) LISTs for $832, my cost is $589. Joe Toth at ERZ CAR wants $450 for a used one.

I would like to modify the ball joint area by machining off the ball joint, weld a plate in place and attach a BOLT ON ball joint. Anybody out there have a couple lower front "A" arms with bad ball joints that they would like to donate to the project? I would be glad to pay shipping.

Has anybody already tried to do this? Let me know.
Thanks,
Brad

Brad, seems not so long ago someone, (maybe Larry B) found the exact joint assy. at NAPA or somewhere like that, that had them. He had posted photos and p/n's as well.
Try a search, i'm sure I saw that thread here and read it because of the cost to replace the "A" arm assy. and it was a proper way to replace just the ball joint assy. by itself.
Maybe Larry B knows, maybe try a p/m to him.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Has anyone spoken to Steve lately or knows if he still offers this service?

As far as I know he's still doing this. I had him replace mine over winter and just got the car out and it's rides like a new car now I'm blown away at how tight and smooth it is now. I bet there's a fair number of NA1's with bad ball joints that never get replaced I sure would check them for play.

I had Steve replace one of my front lower "A" arm ball joints last summer. The price to replace the one ball joint was $220 plus shipping both ways.

Due to the work load at the machine shop that Steve uses it took 30 days to get mine done. I had a big trip planned over the 4th of July so had to pay for overnight shipping which added $108 to the repair.

So in all it cost me $340 and 35 days down time. No problem with the quality of workmanship. Remember this isn't Steve's full-time job, and he doesn't own the machine shop.

Brad

His price for me was $420 shipped upper and lower ball joints per side front knuckle. It only took him 2 weeks to get mine done and look pretty much like the OEM ball joints. I went and replaced the tie rods also since they had to be pulled and were only like $65 a side those also were shot.

Looks awesome.

Does he have a core swap service or will I have to send mine in and have the car up on a hoist while he's doing the ball joint? That would supremely suck for me :(

I just tried calling him (left VM) as well as 2 emails. No luck. I'm starting to get worried that I'm going to be pissing him off. Desperately need this done asap.

Oyagi he's a pretty hard guy to get a hold of and told me he does not check on Prime that much. He told me to just send my old knuckles to him and he would pull the old ball joints and replace them with new. Good luck you will be very happy I'm sure.

Looks awesome.

Does he have a core swap service or will I have to send mine in and have the car up on a hoist while he's doing the ball joint? That would supremely suck for me :(

I just tried calling him (left VM) as well as 2 emails. No luck. I'm starting to get worried that I'm going to be pissing him off. Desperately need this done asap.

Oyagi he's a pretty hard guy to get a hold of and told me he does not check on Prime that much. He told me to just send my old knuckles to him and he would pull the old ball joints and replace them with new. Good luck you will be very happy I'm sure.
Wow, just send my knuckles and hope they come back without any prior communication? :confused:

Just an update:
Got my knuckles back from Steve last with with new upper and lower ball joints installed. I had both front right and left done and they look great. Excuse the iPhone pic:
527499_10150847668436224_690446223_11996080_1657966246_n.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with the result and will have them installed in 2 weeks. I posted this pic on the Prime Facebook page and there's a very good discussion going on:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150847668436224&set=o.7990613243&type=1&theater

We use Steve for ball joints all the time, No issues , they are better than oem and you can grease them
We are very lucky to have this source, I know for a fact he spent quite a bit if money on the r&d to make this happen

Ben
Daisy auto

Back