• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lowering on oem shocks?

2001 with oem shocks. Do they have a lower ride height adjustment or only Bistiens and others? The car has always set a little high. IMG_2961.png

OEM is non adjustable, but oem height is very useful in improved approach angle/speed bump clearance if you need that.

Thats what I thought. Are Bilistiens the closest to OEM feel and having lower stance?

General consensus is yes..

As a historical note for newer owners the standard back in the day for the "lowered" street guy was Eibach springs on Bilstiens. I did the Eibachs alone first and never looked back as many others did. Zero issues that i'm aware of. They were 15% stiffer than stock and 1 1/4" shorter. Your front skid plates are robust and will tolerate occasional use on steep driveways and speed bumps. Your minimum negative camber will increase a good half degree as i recall which is just what many wanted anyway. Your rear tire wear will suffer but your handling will not (OE tires back then were like $120). The car of course will have to aligned and your guy may pull his hair out a bit, but i've always got it done. I would not entertain more than 1 1/4" lower. I'm sure there are many existing threads on this. Eibach has always done one-off's so i'm thinking they would likely make you a set even if they are likely no longer off the shelf. I'm sure there are a tons of folks now making whatever you. Just wanted to convey that Eibach, at least at that time, had a well proven formula.

I like that look. Did you have OEM shocks before? what is the ride difference with the Bilstiens?

I had a set of Koni Yellow struts and Dali lowering springs (Eibach clones, probably hard to find now) and I thought the ride was improved over stock. But also because my struts and springs were well used. I've talked to a few owners who really liked the Bilstien/oem combo. The Koni are nice because they are adjustable so you can firm them up when you're going on a more spirited drive, and put them full soft when out with the wife.

I don't think Dali or Eibach are available any more but I think you can get H&R sport springs which are similar to the Dali/Eibach pro kit.

1710160947025.jpeg

I ran Eibach pro spring kit and stock shocks for about 15 years. When the shocks needed to be replaced I went with Koni yellows that’s what it’s on now. The lowering springs are a lil harder on the stock shocks and lowers there life expectancy but mine seemed to hold up and last a long time. Haven’t had any issues with the Koni. It rides great handles nicely I’m happy with them it’s the only reason I haven’t invested in a set of KW3 for my car.

Stock Springs with the Bilstine on the lower perch is a very similar ride height as the Eibach lowering springs and Koni yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    684 KB · Views: 8
Back