• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Luv the CEL warranty

I had a CEL pop up the other night that coded to the front O2 sensor. Took the car in under warranty to have it replaced. They couldn't remove the sensor, so they're replacing both the sensor AND the exhaust manifold N/C (no charge).

Glad to have a 14 year warranty.

stupid question but... is this some part of an extended warranty specific to certain cars? I ask because last week I experienced a CEL issue (despite only having 48K miles on the car) and I'd love it if my issue would be covered under warranty.

I baught my car back in Sept its a 95 and I took it right to the shop when the CEL came on and they fixed everything that needed to be done to it. I dont know what the deal was but I paid for nothing and was told that warrenty covered it. I didnt pick the car up from the dealer my wife did and she was told by the service manager that anything pertaining to the the CEL was covered up to 150,000 miles.

Da Hapa said:
stupid question but... is this some part of an extended warranty specific to certain cars? I ask because last week I experienced a CEL issue (despite only having 48K miles on the car) and I'd love it if my issue would be covered under warranty.

It could be covered. Call your dealer and give him your VIN and it should pop up in his records if you've got the warranty available. You can also do a search as it has been discussed often here. It may only apply to certain years.

Also, you don't want to run with a CEL for very long. I beliece I used almost half a tank of gas in 100 miles because of the 'safe/limp mode' fuel settings. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

See this post: Rich in Limp Mode

Da Hapa said:
98 are not covered under Emission Warrenty Extension.

I believe he's referring to the extended emissions warranty in TSB 98-031.

Vehicles Affected
- 1995 Acura NSX
- 1995 Acura 2.5 TL
- All 1996 Acura models (except the Acura SLX)
- All 1997 Acura models (except the Acura Integra Type-R and Acura SLX)

Description of the Program
Extended Warranty
To resolve the concerns noted above, Acura has agreed to extend the coverage for parts and repairs covered under the Federal Emissions Warranties (in all states but California) and the California Emissions Warranties. The coverage now becomes 14 years from the date of purchase or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. The extension covers (a) any defect that has resulted in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light on your vehicle dashboard display; (b) any defect approved by the EPA; and (c) any emission-related defect, including but not limited to defects in certain emissions-related parts. The Emission Warranty Extension is transferable to a new owner if the vehicle is sold. (Owners are encouraged to keep all maintenance records). If you have questions about this Emissions Warranty Extension please call the American Honda Consumer Affairs Department at 1-800-999-1009.

"The extension covers (a) any defect that has resulted in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light on your vehicle dashboard display"

Holy crap..All the sudden I'm happy I got a 96T instead of a 91 I was looking for :D. That's a very broad statement, almost anything can cause a CEL.

EIFFEL said:
98 are not covered under Emission Warrenty Extension.
Of course it's not:frown: That's about my luck.

Thanks everyone.

Back