• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mac guys: buy macbook now or wait for new models?

I'm looking at the 15" Mbp. It looks like we are maybe half way through the product life cycle, but with intel having delays on their new chips, it could be a while.

I'm not sure the new model will even be much of an improvement, but I would guess the new chip would have better graphics capabilities.

So what are the thoughts of you guys that are experts on this?

If you can wait, it's best to wait. Sometimes newer models will go down greatly in price and/or offer improved video, processor, and/or hard drive upgrades.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

This might be helpful to you. Just don't get into a do loop waiting for the best time to buy a computer. As the saying goes, all you can do is congratulate yourself for not buying one 6 months ago. :)

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

This might be helpful to you. Just don't get into a do loop waiting for the best time to buy a computer. As the saying goes, all you can do is congratulate yourself for not buying one 6 months ago. :)

I don't want to wait for the best time, but I don't want to buy one now and in 100 days a new one come out. That's what it looks like will happen based on history.

I think waiting is the right move. Worst case it isn't much better and I can get a better deal on the current model.

Haswell performance is quite good (current gen airs/pros). Broadwell will be out soon if you can wait though. From what I've heard, the performance is incredible. Plus, I suspect a new Air design this year. Current one, while great is a bit long in the tooth.

I think if they wanted to do touch, it would have been done a long time ago. They probably want to keep the product line segmented away from the ipads. I predict a retina air model coming one day along with its redesign. Otherwise, not much they can really do in the case of major changes from here.

I'm loving my Haswell 15" MBP that just came out a few months ago. I was actually thinking of getting the previous non-Retina for the ability to swap the optical for a second HDD/SSD, but decided on a Retina one instead, haven't looked back. Get what works for you. I do video editing so I wanted the latest, and wasn't capable of dropping some ducats for a Mac Pro.

I don't want to wait for the best time, but I don't want to buy one now and in 100 days a new one come out. That's what it looks like will happen based on history.

That's actually exactly what I meant. I think that guide does a reasonably good job as a forecast guide.

I bought an intel Mac Pro in 2006 and an iPad 1 in 2010. Still fine with both for my needs, even if both are limited to OS/iOS's that are one or two generations old. Waiting for the combo iPad/Air laptop/tablet. It's coming, it only makes sense. I'd pay 50% above the price of a Macbook Air for one. Can't be the only one who would!

Good luck with the buy!

I wonder if a touch screen might be in the new products.
I hope not.

Both the Airs and Retina Pros are excellent machines these days. You won't hurt for buying one now. I wouldn't buy a non-Retina Pro. Those machines are dying tech.

What I'd really like to see is a Retina Air. Maybe next time...

I'm loving my Haswell 15" MBP that just came out a few months ago. I was actually thinking of getting the previous non-Retina for the ability to swap the optical for a second HDD/SSD, but decided on a Retina one instead, haven't looked back. Get what works for you. I do video editing so I wanted the latest, and wasn't capable of dropping some ducats for a Mac Pro.

Did you get the one with the Nvidia chip in it or are you using the Intel graphics? (iris pro?)

I did a little basic photoshoping in the store on the iris pro and the nvidia chip and honestly I couldn't really see much difference.

I purchased a MBA loaded out about 3 months ago. It has the I7 Haswell processor and 500ssd. The machine is rock solid, light and thin and the battery honestly gets 11 hours.
No it does not have a retina but I use it for financial business so its fine for me.

As a side note, I have a 1997 IMAC. It has a very slow (so to speak) Core 2 duo processor but I hot rodded the ram up to 6mb and dumped the original 250gig hd for a 2tb.
Well, with the latest software release, this thing is more than acceptable for a home based machine and handles all our normal tasks such as surfing, games, graphics, spreadsheets
and about a gazillion home movies, photos and music library. These machines are still bringing $900 used from Apple and I paid $1199 back in '97.

So I say don't wait. A major refresh probably will only occur during back to school time. Oh and the Haswell is like crazy fast on the MBA.

Did you get the one with the Nvidia chip in it or are you using the Intel graphics? (iris pro?)

I did a little basic photoshoping in the store on the iris pro and the nvidia chip and honestly I couldn't really see much difference.

I got a full spec'd with discrete graphics. I don't think the 15" comes with built-in graphics alone, only the 13".

Unless Apple comes with some sort of hybrid convertible device, I doubt you'll see a touch screen lappie. Apple thinks touch enabled traditional laptops are a fad. They are trying to avoid what the call "guerrilla arms."

Netviper,

I'm sure you're already familiar with the whole buy it if you need it and hold out if you can train of thought (a refurb would be great if you go this direction). Anandtech had some blurb mentioning up to a 30% drop in power consumption which is pretty sizable. If you're someone that's always working on the go then maybe it's worth it. The integrated GPU will also likely get a nice bump as well so if you're after the base model and not the dedicated GPU that's another plus (the last gen bump was large enough to make the integrated only a decent option for once IMO). The GPU doesn't do that much for photoshop with the exception of a few filters so I wouldn't expect to notice anything there. 16GB of ram will be your most important option, I'm always out even with that. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any specific graphics questions.

Last edited:
Unless Apple comes with some sort of hybrid convertible device, I doubt you'll see a touch screen lappie. Apple thinks touch enabled traditional laptops are a fad. They are trying to avoid what the call "guerrilla arms."

I too hope they don't introduce a hybrid that adds touch to a laptop experience. But, a separable hybrid which can boot up as either OS or iOS is just a genius idea that I hope they bring.

Have never spent any time on a retina laptop. Outside of say video or art/photoshop work, is there a large benefit to using a retina display on a MCB or is it like using the fine china to heat up raviolis?

is there a large benefit to using a retina display on a MCB or is it like using the fine china to heat up raviolis?

Wait, you don't hear up ravioli on fine china?

You only drive your NSX on a track?

I kid. But I love our MBP retina screen. I love all high-resolution displays. Everything looks better. Remember when iPhone went to retina? That was a great day. On my PC I use a 27" 2560x1440 display and love it. High res rules.

Netviper,

I'm sure you're already familiar with the whole buy it if you need it and hold out if you can train of thought (a refurb would be great if you go this direction). Anandtech had some blurb mentioning up to a 30% drop in power consumption which is pretty sizable. If you're someone that's always working on the go then maybe it's worth it. The integrated GPU will also likely get a nice bump as well so if you're after the base model and not the dedicated GPU that's another plus (the last gen bump was large enough to make the integrated only a decent option for once IMO). The GPU doesn't do that much for photoshop with the exception of a few filters so I wouldn't expect to notice anything there. 16GB of ram will be your most important option, I'm always out even with that. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask any specific graphics questions.
I'm surprised on the ram. I was told the mac is so efficient that it doesn't need a lot of ram. I was going to go with 8gig. What takes up so much ram?

Is the dedicated GPu mainly for gaming or what?

Wait, you don't hear up ravioli on fine china?

You only drive your NSX on a track?

I kid. But I love our MBP retina screen. I love all high-resolution displays. Everything looks better. Remember when iPhone went to retina? That was a great day. On my PC I use a 27" 2560x1440 display and love it. High res rules.

ha ha! I'd say: my stock Nsx on the street is like gourmet raviolis on a beautifully simple microwaveable plate while an NSX-R bought off the showroom floor and that's relegated 100% to street-only use is kind of like raviolis on fine china ha ha.

But I was just curious about any tangible benefits from everyday usage other than a nicer picture. Any super benefits from photo-quality spreadsheets and email? My iPad 1's display has never really left me wanting more to the point I felt hungry to trade up to a retina ipad. But probably if I spent a weekend with a retina ipad, I'd be reaching for the fine china, not to fix any real need but just because it's better and "the next thing." Other than offering a hybrid laptop/iPad or cutting the prices of MCB/airs in half, what super big leaps in value for the common user could aapl offer beyond what they already offer -- retina, ssd, long battery life, a stable OS, etc? Looking forward to following this thread and seeing what's next from aapl.

I would say for email, there is no significant benefit. For working with documents (and spreadsheets in particular), there is a real benefit to fitting more legible text on the screen. So you can work with more documents simultaneously or see more cells in your spreadsheet. Of course, that approach requires good vision.

I can't speak to other benefits such as battery life, as the Retina MBP is my first Mac in 18 years. But the battery life is pretty amazing. And I will never again buy a computer without a SSD (laptop or desktop); they are essential.

Good to know. I'll have to stop by the local aapl store and try and compare. I personally find the resolution to be good enough on my Cinema Display; limitations on readability and acceptability of fitting more on the screen is driven more by font size than resolution. Like reading a magazine, no matter how crisp the font is, at some point it gets too small for my use, if that makes sense. Ssd - looking forward to that upgrade one day.

The retina looks great on the macbook, but the non-retina still looks pretty good. We are dealing with pretty small screens with still pretty high resolution. It is not as dramatic to me as say the Ipad2 vs. the Ipad 3. Look at a retina ipad for a while then go back to non and the text looks blurry.

The software on the mac scales the screen for retina so things like photoshop etc are still very useful. On my Yoga 2, photoshop doesn't scale so it is showing at the native 3800x1800 and it is totally useless.

Back