• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MAC OR PC which is better?

shawn110975

Suspended
guys this has been a topic for awhile now

Mac or PC

the pic below and to the right is of the raid to kill Osama Bin Laden
and there is not one MAC. when your serious about computers get a PC.

if your not serious and only use the computer to surf the web then...

well look at the left pic.

Z3Q0y.jpg

The guys on the right look pretty stressed out. Must of just got the BSOD a just the wrong moment. :biggrin:

If the guys on the left had bought a PC, they would have been able to afford shoes and razors, too. :biggrin:

Mac. Never seen a virus in over 20 years.

I'm a software developer, have been for 25 years. I spend all my working days coding on Windows computers.

But when I go home, there's nothing but Macs. I've never owned a Windows computer and likely never will.

Mac. Never seen a virus in over 20 years.

Might not see viruses, but the Mac is generally less secure and more vulnerable to hijacks. :smile:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/189760/hacking_impresario_windows_safer_than_mac.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/131378/contest_winner_vista_more_secure_than_mac_os.html

This problem is becoming even worse because Mac users generally assume their computers are safer than PCs, when in fact they are not. With Apple blowing up in the market I can guarantee you'll see more vulnerabilities exploited in the future.
Keep your software up to date.

Last edited:
Might not see viruses, but the Mac is generally less secure and more vulnerable to hijacks. :smile:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/189760/hacking_impresario_windows_safer_than_mac.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/131378/contest_winner_vista_more_secure_than_mac_os.html

This problem is becoming even worse because Mac users generally assume their computers are safer than PCs, when in fact they are not. With Apple blowing up in the market I can guarantee you'll see more vulnerabilities exploited in the future.

I've been hearing that tune for a decade now. Still hasn't happened.

That's not to say it never will, but I'm not holding my breath. Fact is, there are precious few exploits for either OS these days that don't involve some level of user stupidity to succeed. If you can trick someone into clicking that OKAY button when they shouldn't, it's not going to matter much how secure the OS is or isn't.

Yeah, in the real world (not the theoretical staged lab examples) Macs are much more secure due to their OS architecture. And it's not because of hackers ignoring the Mac or the smaller market share.

Mac OS 9 and earlier were subject to numerous viruses and trojans. Not so for Mac OS X.

Apple does a tremendous business in the Federal and Government market. DC and Virginia are teeming with Apple support and sales staff.

• I have a g4 since 99 ... runs good, just outdated in many levels, still runs perfect, never had a virus and perhaps 4 crashes in all this years, I am saving for my Daughter as her first computer lol.

• I have a G5 since 04 .... runs good, just outdated in many levels, still runs perfect, never had a virus and perhaps 2 crashes in all this years, my Ex is a writer, and other than Netflix that needs an Intel processor she is very happy and HATES her company DELL latest laptop

• I have an giant Imac since 10 runs good, I use for work, still runs perfect, never had a virus never crashed, I brought to Brazil once (yeah I know, it was crazy) ... came back etc 0 issues

• I have a MacBook Pro since May last year, use A LOT since I work 3 days per week @ agencies etc, still runs perfect, never had a virus never crashed. In fact, I dropped twice (once my daughter once me) and still 100% performance, went with this to South America like 5 times, 0 issues!

I work with HEAVY graphics, CS5 CS flash etc etc all the graphic goodies, I have also a PC on my closet, that PC was good, but crashed way to many times, and somehow my ex got a bad virus that we had to just let it rest ...

All I can say is that Apples/Macs are good to me, they cost a bit more, but honestly if I had no need to have very latest video cards and more powerful processors, I could be browsing the web on my G4 very happy.

Cost more = But rarely break

PC's in my opinion are perfect for programmers and people that don't need to have a bad-ass super strong machine so they can browse the web, although SUCKS to have issues all the time, but they are very affordable @ least.

OScar

PS: Sorry, I didn't realize I was writing to much ..

Yeah, in the real world (not the theoretical staged lab examples) Macs are much more secure due to their OS architecture. And it's not because of hackers ignoring the Mac or the smaller market share.

Mac OS 9 and earlier were subject to numerous viruses and trojans. Not so for Mac OS X.

Apple does a tremendous business in the Federal and Government market. DC and Virginia are teeming with Apple support and sales staff.

You just proved my point. :biggrin:

I like this article a lot from 2+ years ago. Apparently it didn't come true as proved in the original posted picture which was taken 2-3 days ago (at least the picture on the right is)
Z3Q0y.jpg

Anyway, I'm just trolling now. I keep switching sides! I'm a big PC guy that has an iPhone, an iPad2 and a finacee with a Macbook..:biggrin:

One room in a very secure area is hardly representative. These PCs are likely custom specific built Tempest rated machines with fingerprint ID access, EMI shielding and other high level secure features. These are likely assembled and sold by a gov't VAR. Interesting, but not really indicative of Mac vs PC in gov't.

Oscar D,

My loaded MacBook Pro was actually less than the comparative Dell unit.

If you use your computer for work and sit in front of it 10 hrs a day then it pays to get the best tool possible.

It's like a good mechanic knows not to scrimp and buy cheap tools just to save a few bucks.

That's the way I view it.

I run Win 7 on my MBP and run that 8-10 hours a day. Evenings and weekends I run Mac OS X or when I need to specifically run a OS X application.

I'm also glad I saved money over the Dell and now I have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
snip

I run Win 7 on my MBP and run that 8-10 hours a day. Evenings and weekends I run Mac OS X or when I need to specifically run a OS X application.
/snip

SO...what you're saying is that when you WORK you use Windows 7 and when you GOOF OFF you use OSX? :tongue:

Me? I use Windows and Linux. Truly the best of both worlds....I can run mainstream apps, I have security, AND I am not TOLD how I can and cannot use my hardware! :biggrin:

SO...what you're saying is that when you WORK you use Windows 7 and when you GOOF OFF you use OSX? :tongue:

Me? I use Windows and Linux. Truly the best of both worlds....I can run mainstream apps, I have security, AND I am not TOLD how I can and cannot use my hardware! :biggrin:

Nah, it just means I have several jobs and that SolidWorks doesn't come native on Mac OS X - and I can't afford NX.

Do you run Windows and Linux on the same machine?

Nah, it just means I have several jobs and that SolidWorks doesn't come native on Mac OS X - and I can't afford NX.

Do you run Windows and Linux on the same machine?

Yes, in a variety of ways. Dual Boot and/or Parallels. Generally I can do whatever I need in Linux, but if I want to game, then it's Windows. However, my wife is not a "geek" like me, so her machine is Win only and the "family" machine in my office is windows only ("my" machine is on the KVM along with an old Mac Mini G4).

Much as I like my Mac, I don't think the government should purchase them as general purpose computers. It's not a good thing to only have one hardware vendor for an essential tool.

Oscar D,

My loaded MacBook Pro was actually less than the comparative Dell unit.

I would pay to see the specs on this "comparative" Dell unit. :wink:

I love this Thread, very good and mature opinions, started kinda silly and now is all technical and mature .... <3 you NSXPRIME!

Love my 27" iMac. I have not had a single issue since switching to Mac. That's all I am saying.

Back