• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MagicJack

I have family all over the country now and also use my phone for work, 140 locations. I need unlimited long distance. This was costing me $80 a month with AT&T. Woot has these (Oomas) on sale as factory referbs quite often for like $70 or so. I thought I would give it a try. It showed up a few days later and you couldn't tell if it was a referb. It looked new to me. Setup was easy and it was working within 15 minutes. Choosing a phone number was the hard part, lol. I went with the premier option. The extra services are worth it to me.

So, I started making calls. Everyone said that I sounded crystal clear. My end, crystal clear. Great product? Not so fast...There is a slight delay or latency as we say in IT. It takes getting accustomed to. It is NOT like a POTS line. When calling a cell phone it is more pronounced. Again, you have to get used to it. I set up UPnP and it really didn't make a difference. Mine has to sit behind my router.

I was satisfied even thought it has some quality issues. I ported my home number over which is very simple. Ooma folks take care of the whole process. Goodby AT&T, about $70 a month back in my pocket every month after the fist 3 months after the switch. I'm happy.

Put it into front of the router rather than behind (even with with QoS) . I have absolutely no noticeable latency. Not sure why yours needs to be behind.

Last edited:
Alright Rob, you got me looking about. I have U-Verse and it comes with an NVG510 (modem/router). If I configure IP Passthrough and put the Ooma between it and an EMI-3550 or an EX-4200 will this accomplish the same thing? All I can think of. A fun project though.

That's a similar setup what I used to have. I bought my own Motorola surfboard 'modem' so I don't have a monthly comcast modem rental fee. Then the ooma to the router (draytek) to a 16 port gigabit switch. In the past I've had the comcast supplied combo modem router and configured it as pass thru.

Can you get multiple phone lines?

Back