• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Major Maintenance - TB/WP/Cam Plugs/Cam Seals

Hi All,
I'm planning to do some major maintenace thats probably due. My car is a 1993 with 163k on the clock. I got the car checked out they said the cam plugs and valve gaskets leaking a bit. I'm not sure if I got all the neccessary parts or if anyone sugguest I replace other parts while doing the TB/WP. I probably missed a few things.

Is it better to get the parts online and have someone install it? How many hours of labor should I expect for all of this work?

Here are all the parts I'm planning to buy from OEMAcuraParts.com
Description</SPAN>Part Number</SPAN>Price</SPAN>Quanitity</SPAN>
BELT, TIMING (UNITTA) </SPAN>14400-PR7-A01</SPAN>152.22</SPAN>1</SPAN>
BELT, ALTERNATOR (BANDO) </SPAN>31110-PR7-A01</SPAN>19.76</SPAN>1</SPAN>
BELT, COMPRESSOR (BANDO) </SPAN>38920-PR7-A01</SPAN>13.06</SPAN>1</SPAN>
GASKET SET, HEAD COVER </SPAN>12030-PR7-010</SPAN>94.64</SPAN>2</SPAN>
RUBBER, HEAD COVER SEAL </SPAN>12513-PR7-A00</SPAN>24.72</SPAN>4</SPAN>
OIL SEAL (29X43X8) </SPAN>91213-PR7-A01</SPAN>23.16</SPAN>4</SPAN>
ADJUSTER, TIMING BELT </SPAN>14510-PR7-A01</SPAN>108.98</SPAN>1</SPAN>
PULLEY, CRANKSHAFT </SPAN>13811-PR7-A02</SPAN>245.41</SPAN>1</SPAN>
SET, WATER PUMP ASSY. </SPAN>19200-PR7-305</SPAN>245.15</SPAN></SPAN>1
TOTAL = 927.10

<TBODY>
</TBODY><COLGROUP><COL><COL><COL span=2></COLGROUP>

Is it better to get the parts online and have someone install it?
I recommend discussing this with your mechanic/dealer first. Some shops are happy to use customer-supplied parts, while others prefer not to do so. And some shops are happy to offer parts at wholesale prices (about what you can get from the nice folks at Acura of Peoria) while others charge full list price.

Also, be aware that you can run into warranty issues with customer-supplied parts (if the mechanic/dealer blames any subsequent problems on the part you supplied), whereas this is not an issue and they take care of any problems regardless of whether it's a labor problem or a parts problem. (If you buy parts from an authorized Acura dealer such as Acura of Peoria, they are covered by Honda's parts warranty, but the shop may charge you for R&R costs, which they normally wouldn't do if they procured the parts themselves.)

- - - Updated - - -

How many hours of labor should I expect for all of this work?
Ask your mechanic/dealer when you're already talking with them about their policy regarding customer-supplied parts.

Back