• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Making test pipes

I would like to have my test pipes made, but where do I get my exhaust flanges for a 91-94 NA1 engine? Thanks

Don't do it. It won't make your car any faster, and it will only pollute the air we all breathe. Everyone will ask you why your car smells so bad.

You can get high-performance exhaust upgrades that will be better in every way.

Only real reason to run test pipes is to keep from burning up your cats while on the track. If you plan to track it, you can get pre-made test pipes for the NSX for a reasonable price. In fact I think I just saw some in the vendor section recently.

I know it will not give me any power at all, but I do suspect that it might be getting a little clogged. I will only have to pay for parts since I will not have to pay labor. I suspect $70 in supplies should be suffice. That will be much cheaper than paying for high flow cats that usually fails in a few short years. I might possibly restore some lost power from my potentially clogged cats. I'm still toying with the idea so it is not final yet.

Last edited:
Well I do see a few thread where the random tech ones do blow out and become hollowed out. But those are on forced induction applications though. But generally speaking though with aftermarket cats, they have less material in them which is why cost less than the OEM ones, and also I personally had a random tech cat that blew out and hollowed out as well on my other car.

had mine made for me, took the guy about 1 1/2 hours...was about $250 it think...if you want just hollow out your cats, that what I had before getting the test pipes made...

Well right now they are going for almost nothing.... but if i have the resources to do it for half of that nothing, I might as well take advantage of it. I also do not want to hollow out my cats because I do want this to be reversible.

You can have test pipes made at most any local speed shop for around $100-$150. You can even buy them off the Daliracing website for $189.

What ever you do, DO NOT hollow out your cats. It's been proven time, and again that you WILL NOT get HP increase from doing this. It actually introduces turbulance, and drag within the exhaust. Possibly even reducing HP.

A benefit to test pipes is not worrying of destroying your cats with higher octane fuels such as 105+. High octane fuels will destroy a cat sooner than normal.

I've researched this stuff in the past when weighing, "what to buy" for what you plan to use the car for. Ultimately it's your call brotha!:smile:

no!!! you will be one of those annoying assholes in the neighborhood. just like those kids with the civics! and it ruins your rear bumper (well, at least so far every car ive seen with test pipes have nasty heat/carbon stains on the rear bumper, looks kind of like skid marks on your underwear)

no!!! you will be one of those annoying assholes in the neighborhood. just like those kids with the civics! and it ruins your rear bumper (well, at least so far every car ive seen with test pipes have nasty heat/carbon stains on the rear bumper, looks kind of like skid marks on your underwear)

^^^LOL^^^True!

Back