• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Manhattan NYC Apartment Architect and/or Contractor Advice Needed

Hello,

I'm in a process of purchasing a Co-op apartment in Manhattan and looking for some advice because the apartment requires an entire gut renovation. This is my first time purchasing a Co-op and in Manhattan. I'm not sure what building department regulations are but the Coop board is supposed to be pretty open to any work done, hence they even allow washer and dryer in the apartment. So I'm looking to find out if I must have permits to work on the premises and/or anything else I need to be aware of? Do I need an architect to doing any type of drawing of the apartment etc.? Hopefully we have someone who's in the business and is in NYC who can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Frankie

Did your co-op approve your purchase yet? The co-op should have an alteration agreement which shows what documentation you need. If you're just doing basic renovations where you will not be knocking down or moving walls, it should be pretty straight forward. If you are knocking down and moving walls, some co-ops will want an engineering / architect plan. You will need plumbing permits when you redo your kitchen and bathrooms, and most co-ops will require you to run new plumbing to the risers. Between the DOB plumbing fees, expediter fees, etc, the fees add up to quite a bit. My estimate for doing a kitchen and bathroom was double what the cost was in suburban NJ, mostly because of the fees and insurance requirements.

Thanks MoogieBoogie,

Yes, we finally closed last week, what a drenching waiting time but we finally got it done. Now it's time to do the renovation, I did look over the alteration agreement and it is pretty straight forward. They allow pretty much everything except protruding into ceiling and touch any structural beams which I'm not doing. What I am thinking of doing is do a new ceiling 3" drop so I can fit ultra thin LED recess lighting. Knocking some walls down to open up the kitchen and replace everything in the apartment. The last thing is the create two bedroom out of one since I really want two small bedroom than a long bedroom. I don't use the bedroom other than sleep so the as long as if fits a queens size bed, then I'm happy. I'm waiting on my contractor quote and I already have a number in mind, Manhattan renovation is at least four times above what suburban area will charge so that's killing me but it is what it is. Also, the coop charges all kinds of ridiculous fees for the reno it's not even funny!

Thanks

Frankie

Did your co-op approve your purchase yet? The co-op should have an alteration agreement which shows what documentation you need. If you're just doing basic renovations where you will not be knocking down or moving walls, it should be pretty straight forward. If you are knocking down and moving walls, some co-ops will want an engineering / architect plan. You will need plumbing permits when you redo your kitchen and bathrooms, and most co-ops will require you to run new plumbing to the risers. Between the DOB plumbing fees, expediter fees, etc, the fees add up to quite a bit. My estimate for doing a kitchen and bathroom was double what the cost was in suburban NJ, mostly because of the fees and insurance requirements.

All approvals are in, started construction this week. What a mess!

Back