• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Man's Best Friend....was my Dog

I tell ya, for anyone that wants to see a dog-lover cry, watch "My Dog Skip". Without a doubt, one of the best dog-tribute movies ever made.

Thanks for sharing your video tribute!

Oh My God I must have watched it a dozen times and cried like a baby ever time.........

Oh boy. Almost a year to the day, I hugged my beloved Sasha as the vet put her down. Cancer had violated her and she was beyond saving. Nary a day passes I don't recall a treasured moment we had together.

Attachments

• Sep 2004b.JPG
    Sep 2004b.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 58
I can't imagine a life w/o my dog. He had a growth on his upper lip last year that scared the hell out of me. Turns out is was nothing serious, but I was panicked.

Btw, his name is Senna ;)

149023456-M.jpg

149025577-M.jpg

63297285-L.jpg

Oh My God I must have watched it a dozen times and cried like a baby ever time.........

I have been inspired to watch it yet, once again...

Old Skip was 11, and feeble with arthritis, but he never lost that old devilish look in his eye. He made my room his own. Came across an old photo of him not long ago. His little face, with the long snout sniffing at something in the air. His tail was straight out and pointing. Eyes were flashing in some momentary excitement. He always loved to be rubbed on the back of his neck. And when I did it, he'd yawn, and he'd stretch, reach out to me with his paws as if he was trying to embrace me. I recieved a trans-atlantic call one day. "Skip died", Daddy said. He and my mama wrapped him him my baseball jacket. They buried him out under the elm tree, they said. That wasn't totally true. For he really lay buried in my heart.

icon_crying.gif

You all might want to read "Marley and Me". Perfect book for any dog lover.

I had to put my little boy Nick to sleep a few months ago and can't really concentrate on it for any amount of time. He had seizures and it got worse as he got older. I even moved out of my bedroom with my wife to get a couple of hours broken sleep every night on the couch. He couldn't be on carpet just in case he had a seizure and peed. He also wasn't sleeping through the night as his medication made him need to urinate frequently. The medicine also attacked his muscles so he could get up to well or play ball ( which he lived for ). He was a pain in the butt and I miss him everyday:frown:

I really hope there is someplace where we meet up with our cherished friends at the end of our days

Nick.jpg

I had to put my little boy Nick to sleep a few months ago and can't really concentrate on it for any amount of time. He had seizures and it got worse as he got older. I even moved out of my bedroom with my wife to get a couple of hours broken sleep every night on the couch. He couldn't be on carpet just in case he had a seizure and peed. He also wasn't sleeping through the night as his medication made him need to urinate frequently. The medicine also attacked his muscles so he could get up to well or play ball ( which he lived for ). He was a pain in the butt and I miss him everyday:frown:

I really hope there is someplace where we meet up with our cherished friends at the end of our days

Nick.jpg

This is the saddest NSX thread I have read in a long time. And I agree 10000%, I hope someday we can be reunited with our long lost buddies.

I can't imagine a life w/o my dog. He had a growth on his upper lip last year that scared the hell out of me. Turns out is was nothing serious, but I was panicked.
149025577-M.jpg

What about the one on the top of his head? :tongue:

This is the saddest NSX thread I have read in a long time. And I agree 10000%, I hope someday we can be reunited with our long lost buddies.
As in the Rainbow Bridge.

I have been inspired to watch it yet, once again...

Old Skip was 11, and feeble with arthritis, but he never lost that old devilish look in his eye. He made my room his own. Came across an old photo of him not long ago. His little face, with the long snout sniffing at something in the air. His tail was straight out and pointing. Eyes were flashing in some momentary excitement. He always loved to be rubbed on the back of his neck. And when I did it, he'd yawn, and he'd stretch, reach out to me with his paws as if he was trying to embrace me. I recieved a trans-atlantic call one day. "Skip died", Daddy said. He and my mama wrapped him him my baseball jacket. They buried him out under the elm tree, they said. That wasn't totally true. For he really lay buried in my heart.

icon_crying.gif

This quote is so accurate. When I was a kid, I lost my Terrier and that movie reminded me so much of my growing up during the 70's.....

i've read every post in this thread several times and it wasn't until just now that i thought back to our toy poodle, sammy. when he was a young guy, he was absolutely hair on fire while being just the cuddliest little dog on the planet - and he was a babe magnet - every single girl i dated in high school fell in love with sam... what a dude.

after i graduated from high school ('71) i enlisted in the AF and was (eventually) stationed in fl. when it came time for my rotation to SEA (southeast asia), i headed off to combat school then back through california to visit my family and leave the country via travis AFB.

as i visited my folks, i was very surprised to find that sam had lost his eyesight and most of his hearing... in fact, he was barely ambulatory and had minimal control of his body.

but when i walked in the door to my folks house, i could hear the clip-clip-clip of his little feet on the hallway floor as he found his way to me. i was heartbroken he had aged so much while i had been away but was very grateful he could still sit in my lap and accept my affectionate petting and words. in a few days my leave was up and it was time to go.

not long after i was in country, i received a letter from mom saying sam had died. there i sat, a wannabe rough, tough 20 year old - flak jacket, helmet, m16 and 38 strapped on - and the biggest damn crocodile tears running down my cheeks that i'd ever cried.

thx for reminding me of sammy :smile:

Someone needs to edit the original post with a warning….. Do not read this thread while at work. It doesn’t look very professional when you’re sitting at your desk crying your eyes out and co-workers are walking by.

I must admit this thread has brought back a lot of fond memories of all my dogs through good times and bad times. When I was 9 I had my first Dog from the pound, a Terrier I named Poco, next I received another mutt that I named Marco. These two dogs were the ones I grew up with from 9 years old to 22..through the Vietnam Era...Water Gate, Disco era, New Wave...College, A Flock of Sea Gulls and Reganomics. Wow time sure has passed by quickly.

Later I found my best friend Toby whom I call my son. Lost him a couple of years ago but he, along with Poco and Marco will always be with me.

Nick.jpg

Man your story was almost identical to mine during Toby's last month.

This was what I wrote when he died on July 11, 2004:

As a young man with no direction 13 years ago, you gave me hope and ambition. When I brought you home in September 1991, you were only 12 pounds and 3 months old. I introduced you to your new family and friends. At that time I was unemployed, and had been dumped by my girlfriend and with no finances. I was a MBA graduate with a UC Berkeley undergraduate degree with nowhere to go.

I was broke, disillusioned with life and looking towards an uncertain future. As we spent time together, I knew at that time that we were best friends and will overcome obstacles that we would face. We met Glen and his German Shepherd Dog, Lobo who would be your best friend. We would run in the park, swim in the ocean and go hiking all over San Francisco. You brought me much happiness and joy, as I was able to focus in my life and career. You brought the best in me and we would strive to be the best at whatever we tried to do.

Toby, you have given me my confidence back and rebuilt strained relationships. You helped me understand that no matter what happens, "Mai Pen Rai" what will be will be. At that time we met great new friends and moved to greater pastures. I was successful in my work, and I met a beautiful woman who is now my beloved wife. We shared great heights together and never had a dull time together. Over the years, we became more than master-dog, we became father-son.

You are my only son, my best friend. I want to thank you for the best 13 years of my life. As I leave you today, I know that you are free; free to go where you want to go. Free to swim in the ocean. Free to eat bones and meat. Free to wander around and chase cats. I had only hoped that we could have spent another 13 years together. But for now we part on solid ground. You are my son and we will be together again in the future with the sun on our backs and the wind and surf at our feet. We will eat meat and BBQ together once again and we will share eternity together in the future.

Take care my son, my dear Toby Dog

Fellas,

My thoughts about losing your best friend are with you. I had to put down my dog, Enzo nearly 2 years ago and still miss him. I have his ashes and will keep them with me as long as I live. We drove around the western US several times included 3 in my NSX and he was the ultimate road dog.

Short of losing my Sweetie Lynne this June, losing a dog I had for 10 years was the saddest experience of my life.

I believe our pets are watching from above and we will be reunited in the afterlife. If they aren't then we'll have gone to hell.

Miner

My thoughts are with you and any other pet lover who has lost a friend. This past Feb i was devastated to lose my best friend. She was a 7 year old yellow lab/shepherd mix. I miss waking up listening to her snore at night. She contacted some viral disease that led to end stage hepatitis. Dr. believes it was either a rare strain of leptospirosis from an infected animal. Somehow Happy must have sniffed it and acquired the virus. She passed within 3 days while on heavy IV antibiotics. I was lucky to have such great memories with Happy. We found her loose on the street bleeding at a mere 3months old. Vets believed she was abused. Happy ended up being one of the most loving pets anyone could have.
IMG_0040.jpg

About 2 days later i decided to get another companion to help ease the pain.
Now this little guy was recently diagnosed with hip dysplasia as his ball and socket did not properly develop. If he overexerts himself he ends up limping around. So far he has learned to cope with his illness and limits himself. If i see he cant handle himself he will have to have a hip replacement. Hes only 9 months old. He is extremely loyal and loving. This is Rocky. He is a pure bred chocolate lab.
img049.jpg

The best advice when dealing with these pets is to enjoy the limited time you have with them. The more love you give them the more you will receive in return. For those whose dog is still with them, give them a nice big hug in honor of Toby and the endless list of those whom have passed.

As for the pitbull comment above, no dog is born vicious unless implicated to do so. They are trained to fight and attack. I have been around such loving pitbulls where they would not even harm fly. Since they have extremely strong jaws people turn them against others. Its not the dog fault.

Last edited:
I also bought a new Dog to ease with the pain. "Sunny" is a male Pomeranian who is very lively but will not replace my Toby. He's 3 now (got him in August 2004 about a month after Toby passed). Funny thing is Toby was born in June 1991 and Sunny June 2004 ..same month.....can you say "Reincarnation" ???

BTW I also have Toby's ashes in a nice Wooden Box that I keep in the living room.

DDankew, beautiful pooch you have. My girlfriend and I loved the video. My girlfriend teared a bit to when she watched it...

On another note, our dog is a cross between Rotty and Border Collie. My gf rescued the dog at a party. She walked into the bathroom where she found a lady drowning the litter in the bathtub. Dakota was the about to go in but Vanessa rescued her. Dakota was 2 weeks old when my gf saved her. Needless to say the lady drowning the litter got a severe beatdown. Dakota is an awesome dog and is very very smart. She poo's and pee's on command. Doesn't cross the street unless we say, goes to her room as we ask. She's our best friend......

If I had caught that lady doing that I would have snapped and beat the woman down until I could not lift my arms anymore. People that abuse animals like that deserve to be subjected to their own type of pain. :mad:

Back