• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Marvelous Tune X Battlecraft Time Attack K-NSX

My name is Amir, and I've been working on my NSX for a couple of years now. The original plan, was to just enjoy the car on the weekends. After the first track day, everything changed, and I began to build what I considered to be the perfect all around streetable track car. The first step was to work on the set up and maximize the car as it was. The car exceeded all expectations I had, considering nothing major had been done to the car. I was able to win the Vtec Club USA A2 Championship, set class records, and set the fastest NA NSX times at the tracks I went to.

The next goal was to build a competitive Time Attack car. Big power was going to be a necessity, and reducing the weight was also a must. Brian at Prospeed and I started to plan for the next phase of the build. Adding a turbo, changing the gear ratios, and a diet were on the list to make the car competitive. After looking at the numbers, I decided that the best option would be to K Swap the car. The C Series is a great engine, and in a street car, it makes no sense to change. For my particular goals, a K Swap just made more sense. I wanted to cut a lot of weight, more than double the power, and keep costs of replacement engines down. I've always been inspired by the JGTC Supras that used the 3sgte engine, and liked the less is more concept that they embodied. I could meet my power goals with 2 less cylinders, and that meant a huge weight savings. Once the decision was made, I started collecting parts. Brian at Prospeed helped me coordinate the engine management, Hybrid Racing has helped with the shifting and K related parts, Innovative Mounts made a prototype mount kit, Ghostewerks took care of building a transmission to hold the power, and Insane Shafts made a set of custom axles. With all of that figured out, all that remained was piping. Battlecraft came on board to supply any needed parts, and to take care of nearly all of the fabrication.

My last track day with the car was December of last year. The decision was made to park the car, until I was ready to do the swap. I pulled the car into my personal shop in February, and have been working on the build since then.

Here is a shot of the how the car looked before it was pulled apart
(More of the car from Super Street's feature http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1608-amir-bentatous-acura-nsx-the-snowball-effect/ , and Speedhunters http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/12/nsx-shouldnt-babied/)

VTEC-Club-Buttonwillow-Mike-Garrett-67-copy.jpg

Here are some shots of the engine out of the car. You can see and read more on The Chronicles https://stickydiljoe.com/2017/04/10/the-marvelous-tune-k-nsx-build-an-introduction/

33902634655_802d2c4041_o.jpg

33773248681_f6c89b109e_o.jpg

33773248831_802d2c4041_o.jpg

33773249191_ab12cdf419_o.jpg

Here's a shot of when we test fitted the manifold. The Fullrace Manifold was a little too close to the trunk, so Sheepey Built is putting together a custom manifold.
34630399824_391eabcea9_b.jpg

Here's a shot of the weight. The car had 40lbs in the trunk and a nearly full tank of gas. About 50-70lbs of parts are missing. The goal is 2300 with an 1/8th tank of fuel
36119094943_9965f5a25c_b.jpg

36093105974_78f43e6f4a_b.jpg

All of the preliminary work has been finished, and the car is currently at the body shop waiting for paint.

36756612772_92380a2634_b.jpg

Really cool Amir!

I am curious about all the details of the swap. Please share more about the tranny if you can. If I remember the other K swap thread mentions a custom sequential gearbox.

Enjoy and good luck with the Time Attack events [emoji106]

Really cool Amir!

I am curious about all the details of the swap. Please share more about the tranny if you can. If I remember the other K swap thread mentions a custom sequential gearbox.

Enjoy and good luck with the Time Attack events [emoji106]

Thank you! The Transmission is a built K20A2 transmission with a Gear X 1st-6th gear set, and an OS Giken LSD. I will eventually put the sequential in, but the class that I'll be competing in first requires an H pattern trans.

Thanks!

Good luck bud on the car. Post up here if you need any help. I have an extra set of shift cables that were custom made to use the oem nsx shifter and any k20 regular transmission.

The only way to get to 2300lbs on a 1/8 tank weight is to remove the safety front bumper support, rear bumper supports, ac system and probably more dash parts. I would think you will need some fueling needs or you will starve the engine at that low level of fuel with any kind of power on a turbo setup.

All of the fluids in the car weigh much more than people realize. Especially if you do a water to air intercooler for the turbo setup.

Good luck bud on the car. Post up here if you need any help. I have an extra set of shift cables that were custom made to use the oem nsx shifter and any k20 regular transmission.

I may have a use for them if 5:04 doesn't.

Good luck on the build. Any idea how much weight difference it is from the original engine trans to the K?

Sorry for the lack of updates, but the car has been at the body shop for a few months getting everything sorted out. Hoping to get the body back this week, so I can finish the swap.

here's a shot of the engine along with the custom turbo manifold, and a 4 Piston Racing CNC Ported Skunk 2 race manifold

25287668457_70b05f3bb4_b.jpg

Looking good Amir! Yokota front fenders? Which fenders in the rear>
Thank you! I'm using Marga Hills rears

Beautiful!!!
Thanks!

YES! These k-swap build threads are by far my favorite to follow. Definitely excited to see how this turns out especially with all the quality parts and ambitions you have for it!

Do you know if Innovative is planning on offering the mounts to the public or was it a one-off deal for you?

Back