• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

May have to sell the NSX, looking at other cars, need advice

I may have to sell the NSX in the upcoming months. My lovely insurance company has decided to raise my rates to insane amounts without warning due to an accident I had last spring. My original plans were to buy a new car for the winter (I was using the NSX as a daily, although I don't drive everyday as I work out of the home), but if the insurance goes up too much, that just wouldn't work.

So I'm looking into other cars. Cars with better insurance rates that would be decent in the winter. Those that I'm considering are:

Audi TT 225-hp Coupe
BMW 330ci Coupe
Lexus IS300 5-speed
Chevy C5 Coupe

I would get an M3 if they weren't knocked up so much and the wait wasn't so long to get one that isn't. So far I'm leaning towards the TT. It's unique, sporty, nice interior... should be decent in the snow with some all-seaons due to the quattro. And it looks pretty decent with some nice rims
biggrin.gif

auditt.jpg

I'm crossing my fingers that the insurance doesn't go up too much. Any advice on these cars would be appreciated. Also, if anyone knows what insurance would be for the different cars (i'm going to check for sure soon) compared to the NSX would be nice.

thanks,
Robert

[This message has been edited by nsx808 (edited 11 October 2001).]

You might want to check rates for the different cars first as they vary. Also insurance for new cars is typically higher than used cars.

For example I had a brand new M3 convertible and when I picked up a used NSX that cost significantly more my insurance was actually less. I ask the agent and he said for a lot of factors but most likely because it was used. Is your NSX a new one or used?

BTW with your current insurance company your record will follow you to another car. That is you are rated as a driver and the car is rated for how much is cost to repair. This combination along with several others are used to determine your actual rates. I would definitely look at other companies.

Definitely check first for better rates. I have had good luck with some of the companies known for better rates like Geico.

If you do go another route, isn;t your insurance going to stay the same for a sports car? I was going to say go with a Z06, not the C5 and it will blow the doors off the other options. But then I realized a Corvette is moer expensive to insure than aN NSX. In fact, they are up there as one of the most expensive.

Here's my biggest question:

When I got into the accident, all I got was a "failure to negotiate a turn" ticket.

With that in mind, would the reason my current company is raising the rates so high be the fact that they had to pay for all the damage. In other words, would a new insurance company be oblivious to my accident? Or at least not know enough to charge me crazy amounts?

TIA!

A prospective new insurance company will know about your accident. They will ask you on the application, and they may also find out either from the state DMV or from some insurance industry database. (Don't even consider lying on your application; not only could you be charged with fraud, but it gives them an excuse for not covering you if you file a claim and they find out later.)

The good news is, you can shop around for other companies before making a commitment to switch. If you get a much better price from someone else, switching may be a good idea.

Originally posted by nsx808:
...Don't like the looks of the WRX much.

Frankly either do I, when I think Subaru I think Martin Navratalova and Richard Simmons.

But, when you said winter I thought about the 230 hp all wheel drive. I was farily impressed at an auto-x this weekend, the wrx did pretty well.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 11 October 2001).]

I'd definitely go 330ci...but then again I've always been a BMW fan. 3 series BMW's common as hell though so if you like rarity I'd suggest you go with TT. See far less TT's than 3 series.

Hmm if your in hawaii.. I didnt recall ever having a winter there
smile.gif

Well if your insurance company decided to raise your rate call another one and compare.

Here is an example. I was charged by my Old Insurance company for being the fault of a defective part on a car which caused me to have a Minor accident. The manafacture and NHTSA agreed with me that it was defective.

So they decided to raise my rate since they had to pay for my Medpay.

Well then I called another insurance company and told them the situation and they agreed with me and even lowered my rate by a few dollars.

SO call around and tell them the truth about your record.. It will be worth it.

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

Back