• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MDX: Delamination of heat shields?

So my 2005 MDX has been making weird grinding noises while the throttle is pressed. The dealership had a look and identified the issue as delamination of the heat shields above the catalytic convertors. The vibration of the delaminated layers is causing the grinding noise.

Has anyone else ever heard of or experienced this? Acura wants almost $1500 to fix this because apparently they have to drop the suspension to get at the heat shields.

This sounds to me like more of a manufacturing defect than a wear and tear thing. I'm going to see if I can get it covered under the extended warranty but wanted to find out if anyone else has ever experienced anything like this...

fancy word:delamination

Subaru's always have the "bolts" holding the two parts or the heat shields pull through the rusting away of their heatshields which causes rattle noises etc. Most of the time most mechanics just do a tack weld or jam a bolt in between to wedge the shield so it can't rattle.

Happened to me once- of course, that was my 86 Ford Tempo, and not a $45,000 Acura...

When it happened to my Tempo I just removed the heat shield, and then never parked over any leaves.

Last edited:
Back