Media Bias against the NSX

Anyone who's opened an American car mag must know the huge bias against the NSX and alot of other cars that aren't American or have good gas milage, but here's another.

Motor Trend driove the new Gallardo (great car), but when they got a 0-60 time at 4.7 they desribed is as "blasting" 0-60 in 4.7, and they went on to praise it. Now, other than when the X came out, have you heard American mags praise the NSX for 0-60 time time in 4.5 and 4.7 fot the T? Absolutly not!!!! It's always that it's underpowered and neads a V-8, and a dated design. Motor Trend tends to post pretty fast times, alothough I do think the Gallardo could make it in 4.2-4.5.

I know there's hundreds of more examples, but not enough time. But I still remember when they called it the greatest car even, which is not only an extremly high honor, but from a American mag it's even higher, but consider the sorce :(

Anyone else notice these things?

Dan

Yes, I think we've all noticed the bias.

Another example is styling... The magzines bash the NSX as looking so 80's with those pop-up headlights and Ferrari-esque elongated styling. Yet they routinely praise the C5's looks with it's pop-up headlights and NSX-esque copycat styling. Hmmmm....

You can rally all the NSX owners to write letters to the editors and point out all of these discrepencies. Sometimes you have to remind them who their readers are... or were.

a 500HP V10 lambo does 0-60 in 4.7?? something seems wrong. Cant be traction.. its AWD isn't it?

i saw a lambo diablo do 12.5s in the 1/4 mile ..about a month ago...

the driver of the lambo seemed to be taking it easy...

he was not shifting fast nor did he get a great launch...

very impression time for poor launch and granny shifting (i can hear how he shift through exaust noise)....

Dan Ciesniewski said:
Anyone who's opened an American car mag must know the huge bias against the NSX and alot of other cars that aren't American or have good gas milage, but here's another.

Not only American car mag but also here in Québec.

Jacques Duval ( big name here as a car reviewer ) ever said about the NSX interior look:

really dated and as dullish and poor as a Civic interior.

...about the NSX exterior:

Dated and unspectacular. Unable to make heads turning.

They also put 0-100km/h times like: 5,2 s for a 3,2 Liter if not 6,4 when only refering about the automatic version.

Of course they are bashing the NSX performances but what do we have to understand when they are full of admiration with a standard Porsche...

Was ROFLMAO when you can read in the same review that they got by hand chronometer a 4,99 sec for a 996TT while putting a biased 3,6 sec in another 996TT section.

We all know that our NSXes are head turners and everybody who had the chance to sit inside are admiratives with its build quality and aesthetical excellence...

the only thing i did not like about the NSX of old and even NSX of new is the fact that it does not come with an in dash cd player...

a 1990 accord came with an in dash cd player...

like serious it should have came with a cd player in the dash...and not a changer in the trunk...

Never fear guys.

I just popped over here to see if there was any talk of the new NSX at the Tokyo auto show, and I saw this thread.

There may be a media bias against the NSX from many "domestic" car magazines, and domestic car drivers, but over on the 7 forum, we have nothing but respect for the NSX. Personally, if I did not have my FD, I would definately be looking at a nice NSX. The look really isn't 80s at all, it's just angles instead of curves. No biggy.

It's still a sexy beast, and it has a great motor.

-D http://homepage.mac.com/daedel/carstuff/myfd/DSCN0122.JPG

I think it's really funny that if you ask fans of domestics, they will INSIST that the American car mags have a bias TOWARDS the Japanese imports and will point out that the Z06 spanks nearly any car south of $100k and yet often only ties in showdowns.

Basically, the mags can't win. Everyone wants their chosen love dominating everything and goes nuts when things dont work out that way.

I think the 911/NSX/Z06 showdown in Road and Track was VERY fair to the NSX and that was quite a recent article.

Hey DaedelGT, welcome to the Prime! That's a beautiful 7 you've got there!

I would just say look at who reads these mags, it usually american car muscle guys - vettes, camaros and mustangs. I think they are just pandering to their audience.

While I agree with most of what's said here and feel strongly that the NSX is largely over-looked in North American auto publications, I wouldn't say that the majority of their readers are American Muscle car devotees. We all read them and I don't think the majority of us fall into that catagorey. The relevant point is that we're all biased towards our car. It should come as no suprise that owners of different cars would have similar biases.

Back