• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

The claim is it will be over $100K.

From 4WheelsNews

Acura NSX will be the costliest, most technologically car built in U.S. by an Asian automaker

Honda’s high-performance hybrid Acura NSX will be built in Ohio, a decision reached because of the adverse impact of the strengthening yen to production in Japan as well as the automaker’s confidence in its U.S. engineers and plants. Set to start selling within three years, this racing-oriented "supercar” would by then, be the costliest and most technologically advanced car that has ever been assembled by an Asian or European automaker in the U.S. John Shook, who used to be an engineer for Toyota, said that all the units of this model that will be distributed around the world will come from the Ohio plant.

Its executives say that this is a “halo vehicle” and that it will be priced at higher than $100,000. Shook also serves as the chairman of the Lean Enterprise Institute in Cambridge, Mass., as the consultant on efficiency strategies. He added that the location of the production “makes a statement” as it provides hints about the challenging situation in Japan and is also expected to be a “great thing” for the local operation. President Takanobu Ito had announced the NSX plan last week in Detroit to everyone’s surprise. This comes after the announcement made by Honda last August that a plant in Mexico will produce small cars in order to limit losses from the export of models like the Fit from Japan.

With these two projects, Honda will be able to build its entire vehicle lineup, from cheapest to costliest, within North America -- a first for any automaker not based in the U.S. Honda’s plant in Suzuka, Japan, had built the original $89,000 NSX, which was in production from 1989 to 2005. Performance-car fans had liked this car due to its high power and light, all-aluminum body.

Isn't that exactly what Toyota tried to do with the LF-A? Going for an all-out kick ass car would lead to the Honda LF-A or Honda Carrera GT. You would get awesome magazine reviews but you would only sell in the hundreds over the model's entire lifetime, and that in its own way limits the reach of the halo generated by the car. With so few owners it becomes difficult or impossible to sustain an effective aftermarket industry for the car. It becomes difficult to build a community of users too. I think that would be the wrong way to go personally. Instead, aiming at the 911 is a great target in terms of performance, price, and attainability, but the NSX of course should be more exotic.

Sorry I should have been more clear. When I say "kick ass", I don't mean LFA. I meant that if they had to make a design choice.. and one choice would provide significantly better performance, but cost $40k more to get there, I would prefer that. I agree that the 911 is a great target.

Hopefully this isn't a repost, but it looks like our very own Mitch (Meeyatch1) and Steve (YellowHaze) got some camera time :)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LQ7APkVvU0Y" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

3 years!!! I hope to be in an Italia before then. Hate to say it but the 458 "as is" makes this NSX look like a tin can. Too many angles--and that damn beak screwed up the TL and will have to go on the NSX. (I say this with only looking at pictures, it may be a different story in person)

If Honda was smart they would have "evolved" the NSX over the years and probably would have made the 458 before Ferrari.

Hopefully this isn't a repost, but it looks like our very own Mitch (Meeyatch1) and Steve (YellowHaze) got some camera time :)

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LQ7APkVvU0Y" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Yikes! Seeing me on camera.....LOL!! :tongue: :eek:

Meanwhile ... The New York Times newspaper reports:

Quotes from the news story:
DETROIT — A Japanese auto supplier, the Yazaki Corporation, agreed to pay one of the largest ever antitrust fines, and four of its executives will serve up to two years in prison for price-fixing and bid-rigging, the Justice Department said Monday.

Yazaki, based in Tokyo, agreed to a $470 million fine for engaging in three conspiracies that began as long ago as 2000 and continued until 2010, when the government’s investigation into the matter began. The executives who pleaded guilty were Japanese nationals who worked in Ohio and Kentucky overseeing sales of parts used by Honda and Toyota.​

My editorial remark:
Is America the land of justice or not? The U.S. Justice department spent man-hours chasing down Japanese nationals who violated U.S. laws while taking advantage of Japanese-owned companies operating on U.S. soil. How cool is that? Way cool? Now, that's why Honda wants to build the NSX here, because the U.S. government can be counted on to find these crooks. I'm not sure this will ever happen in Japan. Or maybe Honda just wants a taste of the real moonshine.​

My second editorial remark:
Who gets to keep the fine though? Are they going to give the fine to Honda and Toyota? No, of course not! The U.S. government keeps the money. Ahhh. So there's the motivation!​

Last edited:
Meanwhile ... The New York Times newspaper reports:

Quotes from the news story:
DETROIT — A Japanese auto supplier, the Yazaki Corporation, agreed to pay one of the largest ever antitrust fines, and four of its executives will serve up to two years in prison for price-fixing and bid-rigging, the Justice Department said Monday.

Yazaki, based in Tokyo, agreed to a $470 million fine for engaging in three conspiracies that began as long ago as 2000 and continued until 2010, when the government’s investigation into the matter began. The executives who pleaded guilty were Japanese nationals who worked in Ohio and Kentucky overseeing sales of parts used by Honda and Toyota.​

My editorial remark:
Is America the land of justice or not? The U.S. Justice department spent man-hours chasing down Japanese nationals who violated U.S. laws while taking advantage of Japanese-owned companies operating on U.S. soil. How cool is that? Way cool? Now, that's why Honda wants to build the NSX here, because the U.S. government can be counted on to find these crooks. I'm not sure this will ever happen in Japan. Or maybe Honda just wants a taste of the real moonshine.​

My second editorial remark:
Who gets to keep the fine though? Are they going to give the fine to Honda and Toyota? No, of course not! The U.S. government keeps the money. Ahhh. So there's the motivation!​

Interesting...

Back