• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mercedes-Benz Crushes an Illegal 300 SL Body

Mercedes-Benz-Crushed-an-Illegal-300-SL-Body2.jpg

Daimler will not tolerate companies trying to copy their cars. In a press release, Daimler reported that they crushed a fake body of the Mercedes 300 SL that German customs officials confiscated.

Although it was made in fiberglass, the full size replica of the three-star's creation was still an infringement of their "work of art," said Daimler. See the press release and photos after the jump.

Unlawful replica of a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL destroyed

Daimler AG takes a firm line on vehicle replicas

Stuttgart - Mercedes-Benz Classic has destroyed the replica body of a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL. The courts have ruled that it is not legal to market the body, which was seized by German customs officials.

The body shape of the legendary gullwing model has been trademarked by Daimler AG. Anyone building, offering or selling replicas of the vehicle is in breach of the Company's rights. This even applies if the replicas do not incorporate any logos or trademarks of the Company. Daimler AG has long taken a tough approach to vehicle replicas.

As a work of applied art, the body of the 300 SL has been under copyright protection for a number of decades. The employees who designed the famous gullwing model in the 1950s granted Daimler AG comprehensive exploitation rights. The body shape has also been trademarked by Daimler AG, as recently confirmed by the Stuttgart regional court (case no. 17 O 304/10, final and binding judgment dated 9 December 2010, following withdrawal of an appeal).

A case had arisen in which a company based in Germany had built an unlawful replica of a Mercedes-Benz 300 SL (W 198 series). The first step in destroying the replica was to separate the chassis from the body. The Mercedes-Benz used-parts centre, which is also responsible for scrapping all Mercedes-Benz prototypes from the development units, then destroyed the body on behalf of Daimler AG. The certified equipment used in the centre includes two presses, each applying over 30 tonnes of pressure. The replica sports car had a fibreglass body weighing precisely 148 kilograms, which the compressor smashed into small pieces. This dramatic end to the unlawful body was officially documented with a signed and stamped 'confirmation of scrappage'.

The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL (W 198 series) is one of the best known cars in the world. It was launched on the market in 1954 as a coupe with distinctive gullwing doors. In 1999, an international panel of judges voted it 'sports car of the century'. Today, the original gullwing model and its roadster variant, which was introduced in 1957, are two of the most coveted vehicles on the international classic car scene. All the major car collections worldwide feature the 300 SL - an icon of design and engineering expertise.

Mercedes-Benz-Crushed-an-Illegal-300-SL-Body-597x398.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Crushed-an-Illegal-300-SL-Body3.jpg

No Sympathy here either!!!

They should do it more often but it is hard to trademark certain things like clothes (not the logos but the designs) wheels or certain styles.

Although I Agree 100% about copyrights .. I want to point that the car we are talking about is like 200 years old and somehow I think is cool people can do that because in reality NO ONE can get a hands on a original, NO ONE, so, even if you have the $$ still very hard to get one, so what's the f***g point of been such jerks?

It should be 50 years, after that becomes UNIVERSAL, so you have your FAKE version if a pretty much IMPOSSIBLE car to have.

Is like, I wish I could buy a 1990 NSX and get a McLaren F1 Road car body on it, supercharge and F****K it, I'd be happy! :D

Oscar

Although I Agree 100% about copyrights .. I want to point that the car we are talking about is like 200 years old and somehow I think is cool people can do that because in reality NO ONE can get a hands on a original, NO ONE, so, even if you have the $$ still very hard to get one, so what's the f***g point of been such jerks?

It should be 50 years, after that becomes UNIVERSAL, so you have your FAKE version if a pretty much IMPOSSIBLE car to have.

Is like, I wish I could buy a 1990 NSX and get a McLaren F1 Road car body on it, supercharge and F****K it, I'd be happy! :D

Oscar

Oscar, while I agree with you..... If a car body design is "art" then a fake or reproduction should be allowed as long as it's not passed off as genuine. How many Catholics have Last Supper paintings? How many Van Geogh posters are sold?

Not to mention, the king of all replicas - Shelby Cobras. Although, when a car as expensive as a Cobra is replicated so often it does detract from the original as you assume it's fake until proven otherwise.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Not to mention, the king of all replicas - Shelby Cobras. Although, when a car as expensive as a Cobra is replicated so often it does detract from the original as you assume it's fake until proven otherwise.

Yeah but the Shelby Cobra replicas are better in every way to the originals except resale value

Yeah but the Shelby Cobra replicas are better in every way to the originals except resale value

20 years ago, I rode in one of my professor's MB 300SLR - he was a retired multimillionaire who decided to teach. You could EASILY build a car with modern technology and a 300SL or 300SLR body that would be vastly superior in every way. Think AMG engine. :rolleyes:

Give me the fake, make a retro rod out of it, would be damn cool.....call it a butt mobile for all I care, but that body is sweet. :smile:

Lets see, stick in LS3 and 6 speed and coil overs and........:cool:

Even though I agree that rights holders should be able to protect their property, I should also say that I would LOVE to have a modern car underneath that looked like an old 300 SL. Awesome lines. :D

Most of the cars used in those F&F movies are not real...

The car is old, they don't make it any more and is unobtainable. Let people have their fun!

growing up about 7, I remember seeing a poster at the liquor store. I asked to buy it..and that poster was in my room until I turned 18 and left the house. It was my dream car....I love the gull wing. Just beautiful.....I would not mind having a fake with new technology underneath. ...seriously.

You can win a real one at the Frankfurt airport in Germany

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 498
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 518
I would not want an original, would rather have retro rod, and drive the hell out of it......Like the original cobras, rather have kit version than original...:biggrin:

It's Mercedes' prerogative to do this.

Me personally, I am more impressed when someone doesn't stop
people from copying what they do, and instead chooses to compete
based on the excellence of their product and the confidence that
no one will confuse a copy for the real thing.

From an article about Fazioli pianos:

Oddly enough, despite the number of innovations in a Fazioli, most have not been patented.

"There are a lot of things that we invented," he [founder Paolo Fazioli] said. "To patent costs a lot of money and it is absolutely not important. People who want to copy, copy."

Last year, Fazioli released what may be the most futuristic looking grand piano ever made: the black and silver M. Liminal designed by NYT Line and Philippe Gendre.

In October, a Chinese firm started making a knockoff. Fazioli decided it would cost too much to go after the company to stop it.

As far as Fazioli is concerned, the Chinese company might be able to make an imitation Fazioli. But it won't ever be able to make a real one.

I remember reading about that wooden Mercedes. The artist is quite talented.

Back to the original topic, I can understand if Mercedes was still producing and selling the design, but since they're not, I think it's poor showmanship on their part. What if you were an original owner and wrecked your car, and built a replica to replace it since you couldn't get the real thing?

A real SL will cost you 800K-1M -for a "base" car- on an auction @ any day, an Alloy Version can sell for 3-4M ... those are staggering numbers!

Why bother destroying replicas that are no where near the original in terms of collectibility / price / the fact of them not been real?

Good think they crushed it

I'll be OK with people driving around in fake replica cars if they have huge poster somewhere declaring it to be a replica

Other than that, it's really disappointing to see say a Ford GT40 on the streets when you have no idea if it's the real deal or just a replica. So do you go to your friends and say: I saw a legend drive on the streets today. Or do you just end up saying: oh it might have been a legend, I don't know. This is why I hate replicas.

Back