• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Metallic Clicking Rattle/Noise When Going Over Bumps Solved...

My '98 NSX (Koni, Zanardi Springs, Comptech Braces) would make a metallic clicking noise when going over bumps. Not terribly loud with the windows up, but definitely audiable, especially with the windows down. It would sometimes happen on big bumps, small bumps, fast/slow speed... etc.

I've been so busy with work that I really didn't get around to pin-pointing the noise til yesterday... just couldn't take the stupid clicking any more.

I had always suspected the suspension... perhaps a loose spring retainer, or coil-slap, etc. So, I put the car up on the lift at my shop, and checked all mounting points to make sure that everything was snugged tight, which to my surprise and relief, they were.

Having eliminated the suspension, I went for a drive, and quickly realized that the clicking was as a result of weakened anti-rattle clips for the brake pads. Because they were no longer "springy", the pads would rattle in certain conditions against the caliper.

A lot of you had posted that you noticed a similar clicking sound after doing the suspension.. well, it very well could be that the stiffer spring/coilover setup is just enough to cause the pads to rattle against the caliper.

All you have to do to isolate the cause is to drive down a road that's bumpy enough to cause the rattle. Next, drive the same road again with light pressure over the brakes. If the rattle stops with the light brake pressure, then you've found the source of your problem.

Get some new clips for your brake pads, and you'll be good to go!

Stephen

Stephen,
Was this your front or back brakes. I am having the exact same symptoms on my 98 in the rear. However after poking around it seems like the 97+ don't use the pad spring (#16 from the diagram bellow, PN 43227-SL0-003) on the back brakes like the previous models.
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnys...-T&catcgry5=REAR+BRAKE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

Was the part that you replaced the retainer clips (#27 from the diagram, PN43244-SL0-J01)

Thanks
-martin

WOO-HOOO!! I finally know what that sound is!! I have been trying to trace it for almost 4 years!! Thank you so very much. :smile:

Is this part hard to replace? Can I do this at home without a lift?

Stephen,
Was this your front or back brakes. I am having the exact same symptoms on my 98 in the rear. However after poking around it seems like the 97+ don't use the pad spring (#16 from the diagram bellow, PN 43227-SL0-003) on the back brakes like the previous models.
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnys...-T&catcgry5=REAR+BRAKE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

Was the part that you replaced the retainer clips (#27 from the diagram, PN43244-SL0-J01)

Thanks
-martin

So, is PN 43227-SL0-003 the spring for the '91-'96 model brakes?

Ever since I installed my Eibach springs I get a "clunk". More then a light rattle. Doesn't sound like it could be a pad clip.. but I seem to feel it through the wheel. Just can't figure it out.

AC

Mines make the same noise too. At first I thought it was the license plate frame making that noise. It also makes that same noise but not as loud when you parallel park too.

Ever since I installed my Eibach springs I get a "clunk". More then a light rattle. Doesn't sound like it could be a pad clip.. but I seem to feel it through the wheel. Just can't figure it out.

AC

Where is this noise coming from? I had the same noise from my 91 coming from the front... come to find out it was bad bushings for the steering rack.. Had them replaced and it went away. :rolleyes:

Where is this noise coming from? I had the same noise from my 91 coming from the front... come to find out it was bad bushings for the steering rack.. Had them replaced and it went away. :rolleyes:

Now that could be on point.

It seems to come from both sides when i hit a dip. The rack would indeed make the same kind of noise. Also, if it's the rack, that's why I'm not finding it. The only time I've heard this sound before is when I've driven a car/truck with king pins. When the king pins start to wear, you'd hear this dull clunk...

Thanks a MILLION.

I think I'm going to have new shocks installed, will do the rack bushings as well.

ACD

Now that could be on point.

It seems to come from both sides when i hit a dip. The rack would indeed make the same kind of noise. Also, if it's the rack, that's why I'm not finding it. The only time I've heard this sound before is when I've driven a car/truck with king pins. When the king pins start to wear, you'd hear this dull clunk...

Thanks a MILLION.

I think I'm going to have new shocks installed, will do the rack bushings as well.

ACD

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/steering_rack_bushings/

Grab a set of these babies.... It cost me about $250 to have them installed by the dealer but I'm sure you can probably have someone else do it cheaper! Good luck! :biggrin:

Are these the bushes in the rack itself? Or the bushes that mount the rack to the car, as suggested above?

Mine car clunks terribly, seemingly from the left side, which for me is the kerbside, where the drains and holes in the roads are.

Are these the bushes in the rack itself? Or the bushes that mount the rack to the car, as suggested above?

Mine car clunks terribly, seemingly from the left side, which for me is the kerbside, where the drains and holes in the roads are.

I'm not 100% sure... I thought that kit replaced all the bushings in the steering rack... but I would assume that its just the bushings that connect the rack to the car... I could be wrong. Anyone know for sure? :wink:

I have same problem. When the suspension was tock there was no clicking. Then I switched to Bilsteins and it clicked on both front sides. 6 month ago I installed the JIC MAgis coilover and now it has gone on the left side but clicks very loud on the right side. I doubt this hard clicking noise comes from the brake pads.

I have a completely stock suspension: it clanks going over bumps.

I am ordering up new caliper springs and retainers, I'll report back if it makes a difference.

Drew

I have a completely stock suspension: it clanks going over bumps.

I am ordering up new caliper springs and retainers, I'll report back if it makes a difference.

Drew

thats more than likely your steering rack... check the bushings for wear and replace them if so. see link above

My noise is more of a clunk and it the left side. I think it might be the inner steering rod ball joint. When Im under there I can push on the rod near the inner link (inside the boot) and feel a little slop. It only moves when I apply pressure front to rear. Not up and down and not in and out.

T.J.

Still looking for that confirmation on the parts so I know it is model year correct....anyone? Anyone? :frown:

which parts are you asking about?

which parts are you asking about?

There was a pad spring and a retainer clip (as I understand it), and I want to make sure the proper parts numbers are specified. Those are what fix the rattle in question, correct?

Thank you!

There was a pad spring and a retainer clip (as I understand it), and I want to make sure the proper parts numbers are specified. Those are what fix the rattle in question, correct?

Thank you!

the calipers do not change across the years so I would assume its all the same can someone confirm?

IT turned out that this clicking sound was coming from my steering rack when I go over a bump. The rack itself has a lil play inside.

Hi

I am curious what you were able to find out. As I have a 97 and hear the same noise over bumps, but when i brake lightly, the noise goes away as well. Did you determine the correct part to replace?

Anyone have pics of this part on or off the car?

Let me know.

Thank you

Stephen,

Thanks
-martin

Stephen
All you have to do to isolate the cause is to drive down a road that's bumpy enough to cause the rattle. Next, drive the same road again with light pressure over the brakes. If the rattle stops with the light brake pressure, then you've found the source of your problem.

Get some new clips for your brake pads, and you'll be good to go!

Stephen

Hi

I am curious what you were able to find out. As I have a 97 and hear the same noise over bumps, but when i brake lightly, the noise goes away as well. Did you determine the correct part to replace?

Anyone have pics of this part on or off the car?

Let me know.

Thank you

Stephen

Isn't this question answered by the post you quoted? :confused:

It was not answered. The quote i replied to had a question listed in it, but I dont see it was ever confirmed. The only confirmations i saw were for 91-96, not 97+

Also I asked for any pics of the items on or off, as the link listed is broken.

"Stephen,
http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnysi...All&vinsrch=no

Thanks
-martin"

Wow, I am going for a ride right now, to the bar that is for a coors light.
If this slight brake pedal fixes my click clacking im going to kiss you.
Well, maybe after a few more beers.
I will report back.
Thanks dude. Its been 4 years of this noise for me.
I already have the sos bushings.
Trev

Back