• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Might have to rethink DD my NSX

LMR

Legendary Member
I had the most unbelievable drive home yesterday. 4 different idiots almost hit my NSX. 3 cutting me off changing lanes on the freeway and 1 pulling out in front of me on a surface street. I had this happen last week too but only 2 idiots then. I had a similar day last year that almost made me stop driving it daily but decided it was just one of those days. It's now making think about not driving my NSX daily anymore.:frown: I know driving a low sitting smaller car can be a possible reason but here is why I don't buy into that way of thinking. First off it was dark and my headlights were on like every other car so they should be able to see me just from that. But here is the main reason I don't buy into the smaller car thing. I drove MR2's for 15 years and always thought it was because the cars were small and hard to see but when I sold my last MR2 and bought a 4Runner I had the same problems of people cutting me off and pulling out in front of me. I know that with everyone on their phones calling and texting these days that can be part of it now but not back in the 80's, 90's, and 2000's. People are just idiots and don't pay attention when driving.:mad:

Definitely agree. Have you ever looked around to see how many people are doing anything but paying attention while driving? It's scary! Eating, texting, reading, make up, shaving, talking, changing clothes, looking for something, yelling at the kids,etc. You would think that cars drive themselves by how little attention people pay on the road, it's shameful.

On the other hand, I think you are using your cars backwards. I have a 4x4 4runner just like yourself (no SC), and that's my daily driver, park anywhere, go over curbs, get it dirty for fun car. I reserve the NSX for beautiful days and weekend cruising.

dd anything is no joke....I consider the wear and tears on the cosmetics/interior of a dd to be like the stress that track driving does to the mechanicals.

On the other hand, I think you are using your cars backwards. I have a 4x4 4runner just like yourself (no SC), and that's my daily driver, park anywhere, go over curbs, get it dirty for fun car. I reserve the NSX for beautiful days and weekend cruising.

Here in SoCal it's beautiful most days so with your idea I'd still be driving it daily. As for driving my 4Runner daily again I don't want to put so many more miles on it as it has 145K already and don't want to increase the risk of it breaking down when I'm out in the middle of the desert having fun.

Last edited:
Not worth it. People are asleep. Lease a basic car with comprehensive insurance and save yourself the stress.

dd anything is no joke....I consider the wear and tears on the cosmetics/interior of a dd to be like the stress that track driving does to the mechanicals.

Great analogy. When I DD'd my NSX it seemed like the exterior aged exponentially in just a few short months. I daily an F250 now and care very little (well, much less than the NSX) for the exterior.

For the OP, dailying an NSX would be awesome experience but it seems like an unnecessary age accelerant. Sorry about your recent experiences and glad you and the car are ok.

I drive a total of 45,000-55,000 miles per year. Sh*t can happen in any type of car. It's just a car so drive it if you want to or park it if you just want a garage queen but deer, drunk drivers, retread tire carcasses, texting teenagers, and other "road hazards" generally don't care what type of car you are in when things are about to get bent.

My '96 has 151,000 miles including 11,000+ track miles. It got hit while parked in the motel parking at Watkins Glen during a kids' day event with DocJohn, myself and others yelling at the driver to stop as he was backing into me.

I have an AMG Mercedes with 235,000 miles that a deer decided needed a new hood ornament and that an ice covered tree decided needed to ventilate my windshield.

I have a 4matic Mercedes with 119,000 miles that a soccer mom couldn't see because she was putting on mascara while driving through a parking lot and ultimately hit a big mercedes that was parked over in a corner, minding its own business, trying to avoid door dings.

I have over 1,000,000 miles of driving in various cars and have had damage that was due to my driving just once.

Last edited:
Sorry Les but that is just way things are now days. Driving down the 5 the other day a guy passed me in a Benz and he was reading the newspaper with both hands! It's a scary world out there. That is why I like canyon runs.

This thread was me mostly just venting, even after sleeping on it. I'm not likely to stop DD my NSX as it's so much fun to drive even to work. Plus I waited 19 year before getting it so there was no way was it going to sit the garage.

But please keep the posts coming as I like reading what others think.:smile:

It's ridiculous how distracted people are on the road nowadays!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2.3.1.

Here in SoCal it's beautiful most days so with your idea I'd still be driving it daily. As for driving my 4Runner daily again I don't want to put so many more miles on it as it has 145K already and don't want to increase the risk of it breaking down when I'm out in the middle of the desert having fun.

Is it a 3rd gen 4runner? I heard those things are dang near bulletproof - engine was designed to last 400k+
I would use it as the daily.

- - - Updated - - -

lol..................was that post while driving:eek::tongue:

Is it a 3rd gen 4runner? I heard those things are dang near bulletproof - engine was designed to last 400k+
I would use it as the daily.

3rd gen but are you talking about the 4 banger or the V6 as I have? Either way not going to daily it again.

- - - Updated - - -

lol..................was that post while driving:eek::tongue:

LOL Doc. I was thinking the same thing and how ironic if he was.:tongue:

Last edited:
maybe its your driving, I mean to slow in a fast lane??? 30 mph while other cars are above the posted limit?? there has to be more to it than that.

step outside the box and look at other options.

and remember its just a car that can be fixed.

:tongue:

Seriously though, as a fellow NSX daily driver I think we just have to accept there are additional risks involved. In the almost-a-year I've been daily driving the NSX, I've had to just accept:
-people will merge into my lane without noticing me
-guys in sporty cars will try to race
-passengers in other cars like to point and take pictures
-need new rear tires every six months or so
-I've gotten a ton of rock chips
-traffic traffic traffic traffic

And that's not even including the salted roads I will contend with next month, the potential for snow, as well as the added wear and tear mentioned earlier.

The upside though is that every day, I get to the drive the car that I wanted since I first got my license and every day I get to drive one of the best made cars in the world and the smiles-per-mile is unparalleled.

Seriously though, as a fellow NSX daily driver I think we just have to accept there are additional risks involved. In the almost-a-year I've been daily driving the NSX, I've had to just accept:

And that's not even including the salted roads I will contend with next month, the potential for snow, as well as the added wear and tear mentioned earlier.

The upside though is that every day, I get to the drive the car that I wanted since I first got my license and every day I get to drive one of the best made cars in the world and the smiles-per-mile is unparalleled.

++++1

I have been DD my NSX for almost 2 years now in all seasons. Have not noticed wear and tear any worse than when it was a weekend only toy back in NYC. I do drive it like I am riding a motorcycle though. I assume every car on the road will suddenly swerve and hit me. I never drive in anyone's blind spots and give myself plenty of room in traffic. I don't try to beat yellow lights and I take my time making turns against traffic. Basically I drive in a way that reduces as many opportunities for people to do dumb things. If I see someone eating, texting, makeup etc on the highway, I put them far behind me even if that means serious speeding to do it. Let them smash up someone else's car I say.

never underestimate the power of UV radiation.

maybe its your driving, I mean to slow in a fast lane??? 30 mph while other cars are above the posted limit?? there has to be more to it than that.

Driving slow is never the case for me but I never drive aggressively except on canyon runs.

I agree with all that.:smile:

Exactly why a DD mine.

I have been DD my NSX for almost 2 years now in all seasons. Have not noticed wear and tear any worse than when it was a weekend only toy back in NYC. I do drive it like I am riding a motorcycle though. I assume every car on the road will suddenly swerve and hit me. I never drive in anyone's blind spots and give myself plenty of room in traffic. I don't try to beat yellow lights and I take my time making turns against traffic. Basically I drive in a way that reduces as many opportunities for people to do dumb things. If I see someone eating, texting, makeup etc on the highway, I put them far behind me even if that means serious speeding to do it. Let them smash up someone else's car I say.

Having ridden motorcycles for nearly 20 years before I decided it was just to dangerous to continue because of the idiots out there, I drive my cars just as you described. But as you know sometimes that's not enough.:frown:

You have to think of why "you" are being singled out and cutoff by all these people in one day. Hmm. I met an old man once who swore people were honking at him in disrespect of his veteran plates, until I saw how he drove. Yikes.

You have to think of why "you" are being singled out and cutoff by all these people in one day. Hmm. I met an old man once who swore people were honking at him in disrespect of his veteran plates, until I saw how he drove. Yikes.

All 3 were next to me and just cut into my lane. None of them were behind me, then passed me and cut into my lane like I was driving too slow or anything like that. And this is not the only time people have just cut into my lane, just the only time it has happen 3 times on the same day. Like I and others here said people just not paying attention.

In my case I had a handicap driver backed her honda accord into my pass side front corner.. She crossed over 2 lanes for this to happen and I was even parked next to a h3 .. Luckily only left a scuff mark that can be buffed out.. I would have never known about if other customers at bestbuy hadn't seen/heard it even wrote down plate number since they just took off.. Did not even get out to see what they just hit. Now I don't really want to drive it anywhere when it gets dark

Last edited:
Back