• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mika's 02 conversion completed by Umbrella Auto Design

Hi everyone,

I just recently purchased a 92 black/black NSX with 45k miles in November 09. I purchased the car in Moraga, CA where I attended Saint Mary’s College of California and after I graduated this past summer, I had it shipped to Seattle, WA which is where I now live J

I hope the information about my conversion will help others of you who are thinking about doing it in the future and will help you with any other questions you may be thinking about!

The first part I purchased for my car was a mechanical update which included a new OEM clutch kit. I also took my car to Accutint and had Formula One Pinnacle 35% tint installed on my side windows and rear window.

While I was out and about busy collecting these parts, I got the sudden bug to do the 02 conversion to my car…

So I emailed Peter at Downforce and spent some time going over all the parts I would need and he was excellent in answering all my questions and once all was said and done, he got me an amazing deal on the package! It included the OEM headlights, Downforce OEM HID’s, Downforce 02 front bumper, OEM front lip, OEM 02 taillights, Downforce 02 hood, Downforce OEM style sideskirts and door caps, and various other little parts and pieces. I would like to thank Peter again for helping me with the entire purchase and can’t wait to do business with Downforce again.

I then contacted Johnny at Jetz Racing and he set me up with the Jetz clear coated NSX-R wing and 02 rear bumper! He was great to work with and a stand up guy, he even offered to pick up the cost to ever so slightly sand down my wing and slightly touch it up when I was ready to take my car to the paint shop; as I wanted an absolute perfect fit!

Once all my parts were in order, I contacted the only person who I wanted to do the job on my conversion and that was Ravi at Umbrella Auto Design. I am SO fortunate to have him so close to where I live as he is by far one of the most knowledgeable and skilled NSX mechanics out there! I dropped off my car in January and let him work his magic on it for close to four months; he was great in keeping me updated with the progress of my car, suggesting other parts to add while it was at his shop, and answering all my newbie questions on the NSX J Major props to Ravi he did an absolutely amazing job on my car and I am so pleased by his work and recommend him to anyone thinking of modifying their NSX!!

I have tons of pictures from the entire process so let me know if you want to see them!

Here are some pictures of my car when it was dropped off at Umbrella Auto Design in January!

Removing my pre 02 rear bumper, wing, taillights and gaskets!

Jetz 02 rear bumper and OEM 02 taillights installed, getting ready to install the clear coated NSX-R wing!

Rear complete :smile:

Next Ravi diligently stripped down my front end and got it ready for my 02 parts!
<O:p</O:p

Downforce front bumper and lip out of the box, hood being test fitted, and headlights installed! :biggrin:

Tein lowering springs arrive at the shop and get installed

USA Spec I pod adapter installed and custom fitted by Ravi in the center console…

Next up! Ravi takes my car to Bel Red Auto Rebuild where it spends over a month getting primed, blocked and painted with glasurit paint….haha didn’t know what that was at first, but Ravi assured me it was the good stuff J and it was the same shop that painted his orange NSX!

Getting the small part of my NSX-R wing sanded down and painted

Downforce 02 style sideskirts and door caps arrive at the paint shop; I also purchased the SOS stealth license plate holder for my car and had Bel Red customize it to fit my 02 front bumper!

Here is my car upon arrival from Bel Red and sitting in the Umbrella Auto Design shop with the addition of my new OEM 02+ wheels and front bumper Acura “A” emblem!

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have...

Next up will be to get a front bumper clear bra on my car tomorrow morning at Accutint :) and then install my parts I have stored with a new exhaust in the near future, hope you enjoy :tongue:

Last edited:
Looks great, I envy people who own coupes that looks good in 02+ configuration. We only have 2 Green 02 converted NSX and I'm not sure if I like it.

looks good. how much of a drop on the tein spring? and are you on stock struts?

niceeee, what does a conversion run$

Hi Dynamic,

Gosh, I don't even want to think of how much money I spent on my conversion! haha. It was by no means cheap, but I am very happy with the outcome so I am not looking back :wink: I am taking a little break right now after I get a clear bra on my front bumper today.

I am sure every case is different depending on who you go with to get the parts, labor, paint, etc but here is what is pretty typical in terms of costs!

-Downforce complete front end conversion w/ sideskirts and doorcaps approx 5k

-Complete rear conversion (rear bumper/taillights/NSX-R wing) approx 2k

-Misc parts and pieces you don't account for until you tear down the car (new fender liners, lug nuts, usa spec ipod adapter etc) $600 :rolleyes:

-Labor (very diffrent for each shop, I have heard people being charged anywhere from $2k-4k) I got an amazing rate as Ravi at Umbrella, he is a stand up guy who knows these cars like the back of his hand but plan on at least 1-2k unless you can do it yourself

-Paint (again can vary depending on the quality of shop/paint you decide to go with...I used a shop that works on exotic cars every day, but I guess I got what I paid for right :wink: budget at least $3-5k for a top end paint job for your parts, I am sure other places can do it for less, but once again you get what you pay for!

-OEM 02 wheels with alignment and rear toe adjustment (not necessary, but my guess is you would want to upgrade to new bigger wheels with the conversion) approx $2k

-Accutint Clear bra to protect your new painted front bumper (this can vary depending on how much of your car you do...I went with the front bumper) approx $500

-FormulaOne Pinnacle tint sides and rear (not something you need to do, but something I thoought was a must) :smile: approx $400

Let me know if I left anything out and hope this helps!

Last edited:
looks good. how much of a drop on the tein spring? and are you on stock struts?

Hi IWantNSX,

Thanks for the compliment! The Tein springs arn't dropped too aggresive, pretty conservative actually about 3/4-1 inch and yes i am on stock struts, I am thinking I might go with the Umbrella Auto Design variable height system in the future so it will be an easy switchover if I decide to go that route later on :wink:

Nice job I also have a 1992 same blk/blk,

I love the end results but am not sure i like the bubble lights yet. I def am going to do the rear conversion and the sides of my doors to the 02+ look, but I love my pop-ups, I dont think I can part with them yet. LOL great job I actually copied all your photos as reference for later.

Hi Shawn110975,

I'm glad to hear that my post has been useful and that you are saving the pictures as a reference for your conversion later on :smile: Hope they help! As you stated earlier, when I first bought my 92 I thought it was perfect and kind of liked the flip up headlights, however, I have always been a fan of the bubble lights and the modernized look of the 02+ NSX's so I knew the itch to get it converted would only be a matter of time! :rolleyes:

Nice job I also have a 1992 same blk/blk,

I love the end results but am not sure i like the bubble lights yet. I def am going to do the rear conversion and the sides of my doors to the 02+ look, but I love my pop-ups, I dont think I can part with them yet. LOL great job I actually copied all your photos as reference for later.

I guess this is kind of a newbie question... do the newer taillights go in without any problems? Or is there rewiring or plug conversions? Do they fit with the older bumpers or do you have to convert to the newer bumper too?

I guess this is kind of a newbie question... do the newer taillights go in without any problems? Or is there rewiring or plug conversions? Do they fit with the older bumpers or do you have to convert to the newer bumper too?

The 02+ taillights will fit without any modifications to the bumper or wiring.

amazing conversion!

quick question, to convert the rear to 02+ is it just the rear splats that get changed or the bumper as well?

amazing conversion!

quick question, to convert the rear to 02+ is it just the rear splats that get changed or the bumper as well?

Upper bumper is the same, entire rear valance is different.

there is 2 parts to the rear bumper the upper and lower,

all years have the same upper, the 02+ has a different lower

and your gonna need the new rear fender liners as the 02+ in the rear are longer to make up for the new longer lower valance

I just did this the 02+ bolts right on no need to drill or anything all the holes line up perfectly

Back