• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Milk bottle no more, another DIY success

I hated the look of the stock coolant bottle (aka milk bottle). I just saw this pic posted on the unofficial engine bay picture thread. This inspired and convinced me of painting my coolant bottle.

I painted my coolant bottle using high heat brake caliper paint, bushed on, not sprayed on, very easy DIY that anyone can perform in 10~20minutes of work, without having to remove the coolant bootle or drain the coolant. I will post pics later, in the mean time it looks similar to this:

5772DSC00527.JPG

I like the look of black painted oem coolant bottle, but I have seen several in person with the paint flaked or cracked off due to the heat, and requiring removal of coolant bottle to paint the bottle, this is reason why I took the chance with the brushed on high heat brake caliper paint, the results exceeded my expectations. Hopefully I will say the same in 5 days and see how well the paint is holding up.:biggrin:

can_caliper.jpg

BrakeCaliberinstructions.jpg

I'd be worried that the paint wouldn't stay on the plastic, unless you used some kind of plastic primer. :confused:

rbirling said:
I'd be worried that the paint wouldn't stay on the plastic, unless you used some kind of plastic primer. :confused:

I did the same thing about 10 months ago and have not had any problems whatsoever despite using my car daily. No flakes, no peeling, no fading....nothing at all. I did the same thing, ie, painted with a brush without removing the bottle.:biggrin:

Primered and rattle canned mine. Staying very well so far. I had to replace my stock one which was also rattle canned because it developed a leak. Even that one held up very well with the rattle can treatment.

Thanks for the info but how does your engine compartment look like it you didn't remove it from? :eek: Can you read the water level from the outside now?

goldNSX said:
Thanks for the info but how does your engine compartment look like it you didn't remove it from? :eek: Can you read the water level from the outside now?

When the PO painted mine he left a 'tape strip' where the level line is, it has started flaking, but I use a cover, so it's not much of a priority for me.

mooooo'...

I got dark-silver spray paint meant for bumpers & plastic trim (quite inexpensive!). It supposedly has a flexi-polymer formulation for such applications. The stuff is quite thick/viscous!

If you're not keen on using a primer/base-coat, atleast use some sandpaper/abrasive on the outside of the coolant-reservoir (create a rough surface, so to speak).

The tape-strip for coolant level observation works great!

End the project w/ a coat or two of clear-coat (it'll create an uniform surface on outside of the coolant-reservoir, in particular where the tape-strip & spray paint meet).

Slap on a few applications of any wax/sealant & it'll be fascinating how clean the coolant-reservoir stays and the ease of simply dusting off any particles in the future!

Please be sure to join us next time when we use pastels to refinish our coolant-hoses & add charms to the hose-brackets!
:tongue:

scorp965 said:
When the PO painted mine he left a 'tape strip' where the level line is,

So you paint the whole thing black except for a 'white tape' like around the middle of it for the level mark? That sounds like it would look hideous.:confused:

"let's get... let's get vertical, verticalll!"

92NSX said:
So you paint the whole thing black except for a 'white tape' like around the middle of it for the level mark?

Vertical! :cool:

If you're a sycophant or just an aesthete`... place a strip of transparten/tint-like film over the unpainted vertical area and use a flashlight to check the level (depending on how dark the surrounding engine-bay & time of day it maybe).

HondaHeat said:
Mine's white and bright and I can't see the coolant level very well unless I take off the cap and look in.

Or take off the cap and shine a light in so you can see the level through the plastic. Hey, anyone wanna make an LED mod for the inside of the bottle. :tongue:

HondaHeat said:
Mine's white and bright and I can't see the coolant level very well unless I take off the cap and look in.

The older the bottle gets the less visible is the coolant level because it gets more and more milky.

Here are my before/after results.

Cost $20 + sore back (2 cars completed), material is good for 3~4 cars.
Satisfaction from successful DIY: priceless:biggrin:

Before:
cc24.jpg

After:
113092-med.jpg

Close up:
1130941-med.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before/After result of enesexdreamer's NSX

Before:
r5.jpg

After (it needs to be wet sanded, by wet sanding it, it will makes the surface very smooth and less glossy, it will look good up up close as well):
r7.jpg

I don't like taking chances, but if there are mistakes, nail polish remover will easily correct those mistakes made during painting:
r6.jpg

I had painted my "milk jug" black and it did look good. I was a bit worried about the paint lasting, etc. So I took another hit off the go-fast-crack-pipe and got the SOS coolant tank. No more worries! :wink:

64299a.jpg

64299.jpg

skyguy said:
That looks good.

Thanks so much for posting the pics, I just got another DIY idea thanks to you. Noticed how busy the areas around my throttle body looks. Next up custom DIY carbon fiber throttle body plate.:biggrin:

Simple test would be to take a clear straw. Dip it in and close the top of the straw with you thumb. See what level the coolant is. That's how I do it. I'm glad that the photo of Kelly's heart help people to decide to paint the coolant bottle.
SilverOne said:
just curious, how do you check the coolant level?

SilverOne said:
just curious, how do you check the coolant level?
I use the same method as before painting the milk bottle. Either check in the morning or wait until the car is cool, open the cap and look into the bottle.

If you check it while the car is hot, it will read low anyway.

Back