• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Minding my own business, when...:-(

Now, will they break up the nose? Does he have a dismantler's license? Some states require documentation for the source of the parts. It's fun playing and sourcing out parts from friends until you get jammed up by a DMV Theft investugation.

Now, will they break up the nose? Does he have a dismantler's license? Some states require documentation for the source of the parts. It's fun playing and sourcing out parts from friends until you get jammed up by a DMV Theft investugation.

He is in FL tho, the title washing capital. They are far from what we have to go threw in NY. FL will put anything on the road.

Have the shop get the bumper assembly and front sheet metal off and check out the side members for sway or a buckle on the ends. I think it is very likely. I advise you to request that the shop to measure the vehicle and to produce a three dimensional print out of the front structure as it is now to verify the geometry of the unibody. This is the only sure way to positively identify how or if the damage has penetrated into the chassis.This is essential to forming a correct repair strategy.
I am on both insurance companies programs and if you have any concerns that leave you with concerns that are not allayed by the shop or the companies call me and I'll try my best to address your concerns in confidence. At the very least I can lend a understanding ear.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

That Sucks Tom I hope you get her fixed soon

Thanks...I'm just letting the wheels of insurance start to turn while I figure out what I want to do.
I guess I should start a "build thread".

I (think I) want a vented hood, fixed headlights, Wings West lip, vented side skirts, spats maybe an R wing/spoiler. I haven't figured out the rear valence attraction yet. Okay forced induction, maybe replace Borla exhaust, etc...

so now Im a illigal dismantler will it ever stop LOL . if my friend wants to sell the car that broke his leg and put him in the hospital for a week then he has that right. I am sure I dont have to worry about the DMV since I am only pointing him in the direction of someone that has one. thanks for the concern.

and its all fun playing sourcing parts for friends your right it is fun. thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Florida isnt the title washing capital Kentucky is LOL but your right the Florida DMV is a joke, when they inspect cars they ask you to turn it on. and if it doesnt start on the first try they let you fix it right there in the parking lot. I have seen it happen.

Was getting my 2002 NSX inspected and there was a guy with a rusty old nissan senta or something like that, I would have my worst enemy drive it. it wouldnt start and the fender fell off during the inspection he wiggled the battery wire and try it again and it started, smoke blowing out the exhaust and everything and he passed the inspection. its a joke. but on my 2002 they got mirrors out and looked at all the VIN's I had to show proof of were the aprts came from. who did the install work, what was wrong with the car, before and after pics, and miles of the other parts car, I had to show them the title of the parts car. etc.
they busted my balls cuz the car was an exotic and not a toyota. go figure

so now Im a illigal dismantler will it ever stop LOL .

That's not what I said. I don't believe you are a illegal dismantler.
Rebuilding high profile cars without a reliable and verifiable ownership stream can cause problems when you try to register the cars in some states. The trail can return to you and be troublesome.
Here in NY a registered repair shop is required to show the origins of used parts and had better have bought them from a licensed salvage processor or be prepared to have a visit from the State Police and likely arrest should it come to light.
Buy a car like a NSX or a Ferrari from Florida, move it to NY and you will likely be required to have a inspection from the DMV Division of Theft. If they find any part that does not have the correct numbers or if they are altered or removed and they WILL seize the car and you better come up with some answers or you will be in trouble.

Last edited:
From your photos it seems your left sidemember is swayed to the center about 3-4". You can be almost certain the right has had some movement as well. Again the only way to tell how much they are off is with three dimension measuring.
The left may need to be sectioned after being re-dimensioned. It is clear that the surrounding structural components have been altered in their shape or position as well.
It will need special tools and trained experienced, experts which I'm sure you have covered. They will need to plot L/W/H of the control points with precision and be able to monitor them as they are adjusted back to factory spec.
I'm not telling you this to check on your shop, I'm sure they know what to do rather, my post is for the folks following this thread to help them understand what needs to be done. This is not a "easy fix" if one wants it back to "pre-accident" condition in form and function. It will take skilled diagnostics, a well thought out repair strategy, correct parts ordering and acquisition and correct repair techniques.
That your shop has dismantled the car before completing the estimate shows they know know proper procedure.
I'm curious. Do you feel changing you car to look like a 2002+ is a "upgrade"?

Last edited:
... my post is for the folks following this thread to help them understand what needs to be done. ...

Thanks Vince! I know you had people like me in mind who don't know anything but want to know! I really appreciate the experience your passing on here! That goes for you too Shawn! Really really appreciate your build threads mate! I read every one!

I think I am gonna have a great day as some people do like me LOL

I would def trust what pbassjo says about damage he is the expert
things he has told me saved me from a ton of headaches

May be against the masses here but im for returning it to the pop up's!

This has turned out to be a great thread even though we are using our buddies misfortune as the example. But I for one have really enjoyed reading the comments by Vince, what a great resource you are! I know TomCat is happy you have been chiming in as well as our local heroe restorer, bring em back from the dead, Shawn. He is also giving khudos to our body man, severous, Pbjasso -aka Vince.

This is just one more reason why this is the best sports car website forum out there and I have been on many others. I keep coming back cause it's not just a website of enthusiasts, although everyone here is certainly that, but it's really like a family that looks after one another! You just can't beat that and the folks here don't treat new comers shabbily - it's really a great thing! So thanks and Tom I surely hope you get your car all sorted out nicely and are back on the road again soon.

I hope one day to have another NSX!

This has turned out to be a great thread even though we are using our buddies misfortune as the example. But I for one have really enjoyed reading the comments by Vince, what a great resource you are! I know TomCat is happy you have been chiming in as well as our local heroe restorer, bring em back from the dead, Shawn. He is also giving khudos to our body man, severous, Pbjasso -aka Vince.

This is just one more reason why this is the best sports car website forum out there and I have been on many others. I keep coming back cause it's not just a website of enthusiasts, although everyone here is certainly that, but it's really like a family that looks after one another! You just can't beat that and the folks here don't treat new comers shabbily - it's really a great thing! So thanks and Tom I surely hope you get your car all sorted out nicely and are back on the road again soon.

I hope one day to have another NSX!

ALL TRUE! This would have been unthinkable without Prime resources. Agree or disagree, I have been tapping people on and off-line. That being said, I am rebuilding with my heart (and wallet) not my head...so rational is out the window.

Hopefully, I get back to where I was (or better)...PRIME IS GREAT!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea...I am NOT a professional and still DON'T try this at home!

She's back! Paint and body are GREAT! I am having some CTSC install issues (see forced induction forum)...but I'm moving forward!
Thanks to all who have supported/helped me this past year.
Tom
She's back small.JPG

She's back! Paint and body are GREAT! I am having some CTSC install issues (see forced induction forum)...but I'm moving forward!
Thanks to all who have supported/helped me this past year.
Tom
View attachment 108277
Great, now I expect to see it out at the Ohio NSXPO, whenever that is!!!
By then, all issues will have been resolved. Now go and drive some of your cars, for those of us up in the frozen NE, that can only wait until spring!!!!

Back