• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

misfire cause

My '95 CTSC NSX-T is having a ryhthmic misfire, but ONLY when it is warmed up. After it starts, it happens at idle also. No CEL. Any suggestions on how to determine cylinder #, plug vs. coil pack, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Do a search for "coil" or "coils" or "coil pack" or "misfire" on DIY and maybe owners forums. Plenty of good threads out there that explain the codes & testing. Check if any plugs/coils look wet/rusty on outside since the lack of gasket on the covers can let water in & make them unhappy. Testing specs are in the manual too. You need an ohm or volt meter.

There are a few ways to figure out which cylinder it is. Aside from appearance, you can use an inductive tester (quickest, assuming it's a coil), or start unplugging either the injector or the coil one at a time until you find the one that doesn't make a difference (quick). Testing coils that don't cause a CEL is very often a waste of time. A stethoscope will tell you if the injector isn't firing, or it can be ohm-tested.

I had the same engine condition; one of my coils was bad. I used an OBDII sensor to locate the bad coil (i.e. moved coil with problematic error code to another location and then confirmed bad coil with OBDII error message for the new cylinder location.)

Back