• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator

We recently installed our first Mishimoto radiator. These radiators are a simple, direct-fit, drop-in replacement for the NSX; no modification is needed. The Mishimoto NSX radiator features a lightweight dual core, 100% brazed aluminum, and polished end tanks. Good alternative to the stock radiator AND less money !! (Not to be confused with the DrivingAmbition Racing Radiator).
We have them in stock and can ship them out immediately. Only $425 plus freight.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Mishimoto NSX.jpg
    Mishimoto NSX.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 491
how is this better than stock?

I would think it would be lighter, Cool better (dual core) and increase flow.

Although the unit is lighter in weight and less money than the OE, the main benefit lies in the construction and the 2-row core. The aluminum tanks add strength and eliminate the leak-prone, epoxy connection between the core and the plastic tanks of the stock unit. If your concern is for maximum cooling we would recommend the use of our Dual-Pass Racing Radiator.
Thanks,
Bob

Although the unit is lighter in weight and less money than the OE, the main benefit lies in the construction and the 2-row core. The aluminum tanks add strength and eliminate the leak-prone, epoxy connection between the core and the plastic tanks of the stock unit. If your concern is for maximum cooling we would recommend the use of our Dual-Pass Racing Radiator.
Thanks,
Bob

I have the Driving Ambition Dual-Pass Racing Radiator on my track car. It works very well.

I would get this one again.

Later,
Don

Excuse my ignorance but how often are you supposed to change out the radiator?

Eventually everything on my 18 y.o. car with 151+K miles will have to be replaced. Now I'll have an old car with all new parts:biggrin:

I've already seen two NSXs break down at the track due to a radiator problem.
Not to mention summer track days in triple digits meant I needed more cooling.
Just give Bob a call...

I'm about to bite the bullet on this one. By chance does anyone have any pictures of the radiator installed? Also, has anyone weighed the mishimoto radiator as well as the stock unit to see how much lighter it is?

Matt

Has anyone installed this radiator? I've bought one about a month ago and tried to install this weekend and it's crooked. The tanks are not perpendicular to the rows, its like the lower tank shifted to the left and the upper tank shifted to the right. Nothing lines up.

After looking at the picture thats posted up top it looks as though that radiator has the same problem. Did Mishimoto make a bad batch or something?

ps I did not buy from Driving Ambition, I bought one before Bob posted his add.

Guys- fitment is perfect. OEM OEM OEM

I already ran a full track day with the new radiator without any problems. When in doubt, have a professional install it!

Well mine did not fit. Emailed Mishimoto and they said they had a batch that was built wrong (jig shifted). But there customer service is really good and all I had to do was take pics and email them and they sent me another. I'm just out time and waterwetter. Of well. I hope the second one fits.:rolleyes:

This is very cool.. very tempted to do this. Only question is how "light" is it. The stock NSX is suuuuper light, I can't imagine it being lighter than that unless it's made of plastic (which is not :) ).

Also, I've heard the dual pass slows down the flow, results in more restriction and thus may impact cooling. Does anyone know if this is true? It does seem to make some sense...

I bought this radiator prior to Bob's posting from another vendor. The quality is top notch and I am very pleased with it. The only downside is there was no weight savings with mine, the Mishimoto was actually 6oz heavier.
I would have been very happy with a weight savings but I did it mostly for preventative maintenance.

Todd

ah, I would have bought this from driving ambitions than the unit from Dali. Not that I'm saying one is better than the other. Just that I had dinner with Shad...:wink:

anyway Bob, can you tell me the difference between this from the PWR unit Dali selling?? I'm running the PWR one and it's been fine. (Note that I had problem with it when I first got it, which had nothing to do with fitment, and NO, it's not MJ's fault.) before i publish my problem, I would like to hear the difference of this units by performance.

I know I could take a 35-45 mins drive (from my home to track) in 50 degree weather, and the whole radiator is cool to touch.. don't think the stock one is as cool.. (sorry, no scientific method here.)

I bought this radiator prior to Bob's posting from another vendor. The quality is top notch and I am very pleased with it. The only downside is there was no weight savings with mine, the Mishimoto was actually 6oz heavier.
I would have been very happy with a weight savings but I did it mostly for preventative maintenance.

Todd

The stock one is ridiculously light, right? Not sure how you can expect weight savings without going titanium or cf fins :)

the thing you have to pay attention is how thick the aluminum ratiator is, in the case of my PWR one, it's easily 1.5 if not 2 times thicker than the oem ones.

the thing you have to pay attention is how thick the aluminum ratiator is, in the case of my PWR one, it's easily 1.5 if not 2 times thicker than the oem ones.

What does your gauge read?
Do you have the standard PWR one or theone with the integrated oil cooler.. I realy like the OIL cooler one...

Keep in mind that the car is most efficient gas/energy wise and makes the most power around .. 195F or so. Any less, it's not as efficient (unless tuned I guess), COULD have greater wear and tear and the general wisdom seems to be "you don't want to do it.." any significant temperature about 210F can obviously cause damage...Also, no matter how cool your radiator is, if your thermostat doesn't open until 82C or so, it doesn't really do anything.

My point being is that I'm not sure that for anyone but the constant 8000+RPM guy in 100F+ weather, whether running cooler has any benefit and whether it actually may HURT...

Still, that doesn't mean I'm not buying a spiffy radiator, especially since it has 100K miles and "wth, I'd rather not have it bust on me on the freeway" (even though I have stonegaurd protection etc..

Well it's about time the truth come out on this. This radiator does not fit as advertise. I bought one from Bob, in fact the one he was promoting and not only were the sides slightly bowed out, which made sliding it in a little tight, :eek:but the lower hose connector was hitting the chassis sub frame next to the alignment rubber mount. :frown: After checking things out I noticed that the bottom section where the lower hose connection is was straight up and down on both sides while the OEM unit had a tapered flare on the front going towards the rear of the lower hose connector. This taper gave it the necessary clearance to miss the sub-frame and thus fit flush onto the lower right rubber mount. I decided to try using a old spare shock bump stop cut thick enough to space the radiator higher to clear the chassis sub-frame. The right upper mounts fit with a little work while the left upper mount was fine. You do have to trim the electric fan housing to allow for some clearance around the hose connections but that's fairly easy. So in conclusion, before you buy this make sure you're ready for a little modification of the car and make sure that the dealer you buy it from will give you a full refund if you are having problems making everything work. Funny thing is that Mishimoto didn't even install this radiator on a car before it released it to the world. You think they would have gotten it right by now.

Currently mine looks great in the car and everything else seems to be working fine. Now if it holds together as well as it looks, then we'll be doing just fine. I've emailed the U.S. distributor about these problems, but knowing how most of these guys work, I doubt things will change or that they will even email me back. They didn't for Driving Ambition.

Al

Last edited:
Thx for this information. I had talked with several suppliers of this radiator and they all expressed NO PROBLEMS WITH THE INSTALL, just minor tweaking of the fan shroud. After looking at the online photos of the unit, and discussing the required install mods with forum members I concluded that something was amiss in the advertising , and then elected to purchase a stock radiator. I figured that I would not be doing any track time, just highway crusing and local commuting, and our racer community speaks somewhat favorably of the stock unit. The good news is that I got an excellent price at an online supplier of Acura parts that recently announced their business on this forum. The shipping process has taken more time than I expected but as long as I'm back on the road before the July 4th holiday I'm cool about it.

UPDATE:

Received the OEM radiator within 5 days of the order and installed with no problems. No more overheating issues!

Last edited:
Back