• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mismatched slicks for track??

At the DE session I did back in march I corded by rear slicks. The only thing I could get on short notice was goodyear slicks. However I have normally used Nitto. Now my fronts are shot and I was thinking about what to replace them with. Should I match them up with the rears or would I be Ok to get something different so when the backs go again I will have all 4 of what I wanted to begin with?

Also any ideas on the best slicks for the track from those that go more often that I do. I do about 3-5 track sessions per year. Usually all are at my local track Roebling Road. Sessions are normally 3 days long with an open track day (4 hours of track time) followed by 2 days of DE with 4 sessions per day. I can sometime squeeze an additional session or 2 in by giving taste of the track sessions or giving my student a ride in a different class for instruction purposes :).

Not enough info provided. Please state your tire size front and rear, what model tire you used, replaced with, etc... And some info on suspension, brake, power mods would help.

Are you referring to Nittos NT01 R-compound tire? (Because there is a big difference between R-compound tires and slicks)

I would not sweat it.
I'm assuming you are comparing your times to your past times and not going after a class win in wheel to wheel. Right ?
Try the new (unknown) tires are see how they feel. If they dont work then you know. If they are the hot set up; you know again.

Yes, I talking about R compound tires here. I'll have to look at them to see which tires they are. The rears are the new ones and my daughter ran down to tire rack in Midway, GA and picked those up for me and brought them to a tire store to get mounted. I didn't get involved except to show up with my car and wait to get them installed and drive back to the track. The fronts are 2 years old since I only get to the track 3-5 times per year, so they last about 2 years.

You are right all my track days are DE's or test and tunes. I don't even have a timer. The only way I know my approximate times is for someone with a stop watch on the side or if I am right on someone elses rear the whole time and they have a timer on board. This is just blowing off steam an having some fun for me.

Thanks,

Back