• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Missing the most important step in Zaino

Hi, new to the forums... not an NSX owner...yet
smile.gif
but i am a car care fanatic and detailer. I know a lot of NSX owners use and like zaino. I hate to see a nice car not look its best... so i'm here to offer my advice. I've used lots of zaino on many different vehicles (as well as spoken with many people who have done the same). Basically, what has been determined is that the most important step with zaino, is the one you do before you even open the Zaino bottles.

Zaino is all in the prep work. Z is equilivant to a wax... all it does is add gloss and protection. If there are any imperfections zaino will not hide them. (in some cases it will make them more noticible). This includes swirls, waterspots, spiderwebing, all that stuff. If you really want to use zaino right you have to do the prep work. Z5 is great, but it is not a miracle product. 90%+ of the cars out there have swirls that are to severe for Z5 to hide.

So what's the prep intail? A lot of people here are right, the first step is a dawn wash and clay. After that it gets more difficult. In many ways it depends. If the car is new than a good polish would sufice. If the car has been abused a little and has some surface imperfections (like water spots or swirls) than usually one or two abrasives are needed to be applied with a buffer to achieve good results, then the polish can be used.

So if you need the whole system what should you do? If your a do it yourselfer get some 3M products. Mainly their #39009 swirl mark remover (light abrasive for minor swirls) and Finese It-II #39003. Both should be applied with a random orbital buffer (Myself and many other enthusiasts prefer the Porter Cable 7336 or 7424) with the proper pads. These will cut into the surface of the clear coat and remove imperfections. If you've never done anything like this before don't worry... it's not that hard, and its practically impossible to damage your paint.

Next (or if you skiped step 1) is to go over the paint with a good cleaner/polish. This is basically just for visual enhancements. Many good polishes out there will do a good job hiding swirls and adding a nice deep wet look to the paint. The two products i like to use are Pinacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion http://www.properautocare.com/pin-200.html or P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion http://www.properautocare.com/p2paincleanl.html Both these products are amazing. I always like to do 1/2 the hood and show people the difference. It's amazing.

After this you can start with the zaino to lock the look to the surface and add some reflection.

Guess that was a little long... so i'll stop now and not go back and add more. If anyone has any questions feel free. To me helping an NSX look it's best is like saving someone's life. You can email me at [email protected]. Also if anyone lives in the Colorado Area and wants some help let me know. I would do a full 2 day detail job on one just to be able to mark it off my list.

------------------
NSX lover and Professional Detailer

Just a little example.. this picture is a black Civic SI... just the right prep and a few coats of Z5, haven't even touched the Z2 yet. The paint on that civic is a much lower quality than what comes on an NSX, plus it was probably in much worse shape (i hope) than 95% of the NSXs out there.

blackciv1.jpg

------------------
NSX lover and Professional Detailer

[This message has been edited by Dr. Jones (edited 05 June 2002).]

Back