• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mistaken Identity

Hey Guys:

I've been a proud NSX (1991 Black/Black) owner now for four months. I own a '65 Sting Ray and a couple other restored muscle cars so I'm used to getting a lot of "looks" from other drivers when I am out driving. Since an NSX is rarely seen on the roads around here, I really thought I would get a lot of stares and "thumbs up" but I don't. Even driving through the University of Virginia campus, students don't even give the car a second glance.

I couldn't figure this out and then this weekend I attended a Corvette Club meeting. Being winter, almost all of the cars driven to the meeting were C-5 and C-6 generation Corvettes. Arriving late, I parked my car between six other Corvettes in the parking lot (all cars were facing out) and went inside. I turned to look back at my car and noticed how similar in shape, size and height my NSX was in this line of Corvettes.

Could it be possible that out on the roads and in traffic most people mistake the NSX for a Corvette and pay little attention to it? Your thoughts please.

Frank

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

I got this one time. Guy commented that my convertible "corvette" looked sweet. I wanted to kill him haha. I guess the two tone black top I have got him thinking it was convertible

My wife pointed at a Corvette and said "Here comes another NSX." I wanted a divorce but we worked through it. :biggrin:

I live in Georgia and I get a lot of late 30-40 year olds taking second looks and asking questions but it's rare a young driver will notice anything special about it unless the "hood" is popped.

yeah there are like 3000 threads just like this one over the years.

but to answer your questions about the college you drive thru, those kids are from a different generation, they dont hold cars dear to their hearts liek we do.
to us its a sign of freedom of the open road, to get in your car and take a drive for the weekend.

to them freedom is logging in to their facebook and surfing the internet and virtually visiting the places we would drive our cars.
they seem to have lost touch with basic human sense of adventure.

this generation doesnt care about luxuary cars or nice houses, they are use to taking the bus, living in an apartment cuz thats all they can afford right now ( in college ) and or driving a small " smart car " to save money on gas. technology has done this and this and future generations will suffer.

a single family home on a double lot is now knocked down and 2 homes built in its place. because they dont care about a 30' vareance as they have lived in a appartment most of their lives. double the people in a small area double the density of population. roads get worse with more traffic, more crime, prices go up of food. gas, electricity etc. etc.

we are the last good generation. after us well....

yeah there are like 3000 threads just like this one over the years.

but to answer your questions about the college you drive thru, those kids are from a different generation, they dont hold cars dear to their hearts liek we do.
to us its a sign of freedom of the open road, to get in your car and take a drive for the weekend.

It's true... most people my age see car ownership as a burden, and move to big cities where they can use public transit and not need a car.

It's fine by me, though. Less traffic on the roads!

You'll get quite a few waves from folks in their Corvettes.

I always return the wave and watch for their expression when they get closer and realize that I'm not in a Vette.

Those who know cars know the NSX. Even from a distance.

I still get quite a few stares in the NSX.

I have had people (who aren't into cars) complement me on my nice Corvette. Most times I will just say "Thank You." Every once in a while I will correct them and tell them it is an NSX. Which usually leads to me explaining more about Acura & it's relationship to Honda... because there are lots of people who haven't heard of an NSX before.

Nukem can tell you about his experience in our local Acura dealership, where a worker there told him that he had a very nice car and asked what it was and who made it.

One of the last times I had my car out last year I stopped to pick up my wife from work in my NSX. Her new director happened to look outside and say something along the lines "wow, who is that out there in the Lamborghini?"

My wife's co-worker told her, oh that's Cindy's husband Rod. I don't think anybody ever corrected the director that my car was an Acura NSX and not a Lamborghini.

The younger generation may know what an NSX is from playing various car video games.

Maybe the next generation NSX will enlighten more people.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago, I was filling with gas, when a someone approached me and said "that is the nicest Corvette I have ever seen". I replied: "your right!"

I had this problem so bad in my beginning NSX years I got this plate.

TLC003_zpsc44e6a93.jpg

I get lots of looks since purchasing mine about 6 months ago. I have people hanging out the window taking pictures as I run down the interstate at 80MPH. I can sit at a traffic light and watch people as they drive by and stare wondering what kind of car I am driving. I agree though if they are not car people they have no interest though.

I needed an o2 sensor and the counter associate from NAPA asked, "What year is your Nissan NSX?" Only we and those who play GTx from Playstation knows the NSX! On another note, my new tubi 99 headers has unleashed the beast that has been oppressed by those restrictive manifolds.

I needed an o2 sensor and the counter associate from NAPA asked, "What year is your Nissan NSX?" Only we and those who play GTx from Playstation knows the NSX! On another note, my new tubi 99 headers has unleashed the beast that has been oppressed by those restrictive manifolds.

When you say tubi headers, do you mean tubular headers? Or headers made by Tubi?

Back