• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mixing Different Brands of Oil?

ok so I was low on oil. I know I should never let that happen right, but I did. Anyhow, I had Castrol Synthetic but they ran out out so I added one quart of mobil 1 synthetic into the mix. Will that be ok?

If it was regular oil and synthetic being mix all together what would happen? Sorry that just popped in my head while inquiring about the questin above. Mixing all kinds of grades and oil....

Oh, and thanks in advance guys.

I'm with RON98 on this. All oils can mix, without problems. You will simply wind up with the characteristics of the mixture. For example, if you mix synthetic oil with conventional oil, the performance (e.g. resistance to thermal breakdown) will be better than conventional, but not as good as all synthetic. Mixing brands of synthetic? No problem at all. I wouldn't bother changing it; you're good to go.

Thanks guys, just wanted a little input on the whole ordeal. It is just temporary but wanted to make sure its ok. It was like -7 degrees in MN & wind chill of -22 so too cold to go out but I wanted the car to have some kind of oil. Its about 15 to 25 degrees now maybe it'll be fine to change oil today. hahahaha...

I read this a while back:

"It is usually best to use the same oil for topping off that you have been running in the engine. That is, it is preferable to not mix your oils, even if it is Valvoline or Quaker State you are using. The reason is this: the functions of additives blended for specific characteristics can be offset when oils with different additive packages are put together. For optimal performance, it is better to use the same oil throughout."

In other words, It's not bad.

I would change oil earlier at my next conveyance.

Back