• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mixing tire brands

What are the most likely effects of mixing the front and rear tire brands? Currently I got the oem Yokohamas both front and rear. The rears needs replacing and lods of thread left on the front.I'm thinking of trying out Eagle GDS2s for the rears, which have good reviews for both wet and dry. Just wondering if it would have a significant impact on grip and performance with different fr/rr setup. Perhaps a little like mixing different brand 'Duracell' batts?

As I'll be changing them out anyway would it be a good idea to get a slightly wider and lower profile tire for the rears on the oem wheels? Any benefits at all, increased grip?

I recommend either getting a pair of OEM Yokohamas to replace the rear tires, or all four new tires of some other type.

S2NSX said:
What are the most likely effects of mixing the front and rear tire brands? Perhaps a little like mixing different brand 'Duracell' batts?

Listen to the advice when people tell you to use same brand/same model tires. This is especially important if you keep OEM tires on the front of the car - OEM on the front - then ONLY OEM on the rear. Don't make the mistake of mixing tires, or you may find yourself doing a 180, going off the road and nearly smashing your car and yourself. In this case experience is a teacher you don't want to meet.

Last edited:
mickeylex said:
... In this case experience is a teacher you don't want to meet.

Why not? There's a reason why they have remedial classes in high school. :biggrin:

mickeylex said:
Listen to the advice when people tell you to use same brand/same model tires. This is especially important if you keep OEM tires on the front of the car - OEM on the front - then ONLY OEM on the rear. Don't make the mistake of mixing tires, or you may find yourself doing a 180, going off the road and nearly smashing your car and yourself. In this case experience is a teacher you don't want to meet.

Ermm, I don't think I'll be doing anywhere near 180 :eek:

Putting new tires on one end and having old ones on the other means you will have a difference in grip, even if its the same model tire. Depending on how well a tire ages, this difference can be substantial. For example, in my experience, the NSX on A022s pushes like a Suburban with new fronts and 3/4 worn rears. YMMV.

Just keep in mind handling at the limits will change with any tire change. If you don't drive near the limits, then it doesn't really matter. If you do, then use caution as you learn the different levels of grip. Mixing brands or models of tires is no different: The grip changes, learn to deal with it.

Back