• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mobil 1 for higher mileage engines?

I am coming up on my first oil change and based off what I have read in the search and FAQ, I will go with Mobil 1. My questions is should I use their Mobil 1® With SuperSyn™ Formula 10W-30
Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula? My NSX has 71K miles on it. Would that be considered a high-mileage car?

Suggestions?

Thanks all,

dave

Yes, you should use 10W30 - not because it's a high-mileage car, but because that's what Acura specifies for the NSX.

The owner's manual for the NSX and woodwork, who is the Techline expert for the NSX at Acura HQ, both specify 10W30 for the NSX except when the car is primarily being operated at temperatures below freezing, in which case 5W30 is preferred.

This is what woodwork posted yesterday (when asked about using 5W30):

"NO, NO, NO

LET ME REPEAT:

DO NOT PUT 5-30 IN YOUR NSX UNLESS YOU ARE DRIVING IT BELOW 30 DEG F.

Whoever at the dealer is telling you this is not reading the documentation correctly.

2002 Service Manual Supplement page 4-2: use 10W-30 oil from 0 deg F. and above. It is ok to use 5-30 oil for 32 deg. F and below.

If the dealer is trying to sell you 5-30 oil it is probably because they do not stock 10-30 in bulk.

Any questions always check the documentation. Sometimes dealers have their own agenda.

Woodwork"

Mobil has re-labeled its packaging so that each of its viscosities is associated with an intended usage in mind ("intended" to be used as guidance for those who are not sure what viscosity to choose):

- Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula 10W-30
- Newer Vehicle Formula 5W-30
- Enhanced Fuel Economy Formula 0W-30
- European Car Formula 0W-40
- Performance Driving Formula 15W-50

However, on their website, they state:

"While every grade of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides exceptional performance, each viscosity is geared toward a specific application. If you've been successfully using a particular viscosity grade, you should stick with it. But if you find that selecting the right viscosity is sometimes confusing, you can follow these guidelines.*

*Use these as guidelines only. You should always follow the viscosity grade and API service category recommendations listed in your vehicle owner's manual."

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 August 2002).]

What about the Oil Filter? Will my local honda store has something that will work?

Use the OEM oil filter, part number 15400-PL2-004. Your Acura dealer should stock them, since they also fit certain Legends. I'm not sure about Honda dealers, whether they stock them and/or can order them - try giving them the part number and asking.

List is around $14, often discounted to $10-11.

Ken,

We don't have an acura dealer in wonderful Monroe. Should I get them to order one from shreveport? (our closest dealer) or what are some other options?

THanks

Make sure you order the Crush Washers for the oil filter . They are expensive though. I think they are around $0.15 to $0.25 each!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I have read some reports that state Mobile 1 increases yuor gas milage. Is there any truth in this statement?

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Yes, you should use 10W30 - not because it's a high-mileage car, but because that's what Acura specifies for the NSX.

The owner's manual for the NSX and woodwork, who is the Techline expert for the NSX at Acura HQ, both specify 10W30 for the NSX except when the car is primarily being operated at temperatures below freezing, in which case 5W30 is preferred.

This is what woodwork posted yesterday (when asked about using 5W30):

"NO, NO, NO

LET ME REPEAT:

DO NOT PUT 5-30 IN YOUR NSX UNLESS YOU ARE DRIVING IT BELOW 30 DEG F.

Whoever at the dealer is telling you this is not reading the documentation correctly.

2002 Service Manual Supplement page 4-2: use 10W-30 oil from 0 deg F. and above. It is ok to use 5-30 oil for 32 deg. F and below.

If the dealer is trying to sell you 5-30 oil it is probably because they do not stock 10-30 in bulk.

Any questions always check the documentation. Sometimes dealers have their own agenda.

Woodwork"

Mobil has re-labeled its packaging so that each of its viscosities is associated with an intended usage in mind ("intended" to be used as guidance for those who are not sure what viscosity to choose):

- Higher-Mileage Vehicle Formula 10W-30
- Newer Vehicle Formula 5W-30
- Enhanced Fuel Economy Formula 0W-30
- European Car Formula 0W-40
- Performance Driving Formula 15W-50

However, on their website, they state:

"While every grade of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides exceptional performance, each viscosity is geared toward a specific application. If you've been successfully using a particular viscosity grade, you should stick with it. But if you find that selecting the right viscosity is sometimes confusing, you can follow these guidelines.*

*Use these as guidelines only. You should always follow the viscosity grade and API service category recommendations listed in your vehicle owner's manual."

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 August 2002).]

Wow! I didn't know that 5w-30 is not recommended for the nsx. I've been putting 5w-30 since I bought it new at the dealer. They said it's better for the car. I don't know. I hope it desn't hurt the car in anyway using 5w-30. I did get a oil leak from the v-tec gaskets last week. Don't know if it is cause by using 5w-30. Any thoughts guys?

thanks
-Ray

Originally posted by steveny:
I have read some reports that state Mobile 1 increases yuor gas milage. Is there any truth in this statement?

I was curious about this too. So I tested it. I was making a long daily commute in my Chevy Tahoe 4x4 for a couple months. I was going through a tank of fuel every couple days. So I started calculating my MPG. I was consistently getting between 16 and 16.5 MPG with dino oil. After the chnage to Mobile 1 I got between 16.5 and 17 MPG. This was based on 10 tanks of fuel with each respectable oil. So I would say yes, you can get better mileage with a synthetic. The other benefit is less frequent oil changes. I change my oil about every 10,000 miles in the Chevy and every 5,000 to 6,000 in the NSX. The new BMWs call for oil changes between 12,000 and 15,000 intervals.

------------------

Originally posted by notslow:
I was curious about this too. So I tested it. I was making a long daily commute in my Chevy Tahoe 4x4 for a couple months. I was going through a tank of fuel every couple days. So I started calculating my MPG. I was consistently getting between 16 and 16.5 MPG with dino oil. After the chnage to Mobile 1 I got between 16.5 and 17 MPG. This was based on 10 tanks of fuel with each respectable oil. So I would say yes, you can get better mileage with a synthetic. The other benefit is less frequent oil changes. I change my oil about every 10,000 miles in the Chevy and every 5,000 to 6,000 in the NSX. The new BMWs call for oil changes between 12,000 and 15,000 intervals.

Thanks for the reply. I have a 02 Dodge Ram quad. I was getting around 10 mpg. I recently took a 600 mile trip to Pittsburgh in the Dodge. I also changed the oil to mobile one at the same time. When I returned home the truck is suddenly getting 12-14 now. Maybe it is the oil. maybe it was the highway driving. I now have 8k miles on it.

Originally posted by notslow:
The other benefit is less frequent oil changes.

Not necessarily. As I previously posted here:

When synthetic oil first came onto the market, the oil manufacturers claimed that oil change intervals could be extended, for the reason you mentioned. Since then, they have retracted these claims. In addition to thermal breakdown, for which synthetic oil is indeed superior, oil degrades over time due to the accumulation of particulate matter (dirt). Synthetic oil will accumulate particulates at the same rate as conventional oil; for this reason, extending oil change intervals due to the use of synthetic oil is not recommended.

Here's what it says on the subject on the Mobil 1 website:

Can I go longer without changing my oil if I use a synthetic?

While Mobil 1 has given excellent results in extended oil drain tests, the safest and recommended practice is to follow your owner's manual. You can go all the way to the maximum mileage or time frame shown in your owner's manual for oil changes when using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. This allows the reserve protection capabilities of Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ to cover the unusual or unexpected driving conditions that we all experience from time to time.

Oil change intervals can be as short as 3,000 miles or as long as 15,000 miles on some new cars. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™'s high-performance reserves give you the confidence to go the full mileage or time frame recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is especially suitable for the latest vehicles with extended drain intervals or vehicles with oil monitoring systems that vary oil drain intervals.

The website for Castrol Syntec synthetic oil includes reference to contaminants in its similar response:

Question: What oil change intervals are recommended for SYNTEC?

Answer: Motor oil serves many purposes. Its primary function is to lubricate and protect, but it also keeps your engine cool and running clean. By changing your oil frequently, you remove by-products of combustion such as acid, soot, abrasives, water and unburned fuel. All of these substances can have damaging effects on both the performance and life of your engine.

You should check your owners' manual for their recommended oil change service. However, we recommend for ultimate protection that you change your motor oil every 3,000 miles (or 3 months).

In sum: Don't go beyond Acura's recommended 7500 miles or 6 months.

Back