• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mobile 1 for the transmission?

My experience with 10w30 M1 is that it is just a bit too light, making shifting notchy. *Some* friction is necessary to keep the sychros up to speed.

A 50/50 mix of 15w50 M1 and 10w30 M1 has worked well for me.

Honda isn't open on Sundays when I want to change my oil, and my attention span is to the next turn, not the next day. :)

Besides, the 95 owner's manual makes no such recommendation. MTF came out at a later date.

I think Motul has some of the best tranny oil out there...

I also believe Redline also makes a good product

Mobil One is fine probably for the street/track events...the others are probably good for racing...

Just my opinion...no data to back it up...

At different times, I've used synthetic motor oil, Redline MTL, and Honda MTF in my transmission. I noticed no difference in feel or performance among them. Now I just get the Honda stuff.

nsxtasy said:
At different times, I've used synthetic motor oil, Redline MTL, and Honda MTF in my transmission. I noticed no difference in feel or performance among them. Now I just get the Honda stuff.

I read that the trans. oil lasts 30k miles. Is the time factor just as important? Say if you have 10k miles in 5 years. Is the oil still good?

The transmission oil is still good as it does not pick up contaminants (including moisture), like the engine oil does from the combustion process .
Having said that Acura does recommend changing the transmission oil every 30,000 miles or 2 years so for the modest cost I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
I also just use the Honda fluid as synchronizers are rather quite expensive to replace.

CFNSX said:
The transmission oil is still good as it does not pick up contaminants (including moisture), like the engine oil does from the combustion process .
Having said that Acura does recommend changing the transmission oil every 30,000 miles or 2 years so for the modest cost I would follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
I also just use the Honda fluid as synchronizers are rather quite expensive to replace.

I heard the honda MTF is just 5-30w motor oil. They said there is some additives, but??? Didn't they use just regular motor oil a few years back. I noticed on my service receipt that they charged about $2 for the trans. oil (total 7.5 q. for about $17, 5q for the motor and 2.5 q for the trans). How much do they charge for the Honda MTF? Wonder if it is another mark up item for the NSX??

nis350 said:
I heard the honda MTF is just 5-30w motor oil. They said there is some additives, but??? Didn't they use just regular motor oil a few years back. I noticed on my service receipt that they charged about $2 for the trans. oil (total 7.5 q. for about $17, 5q for the motor and 2.5 q for the trans). How much do they charge for the Honda MTF? Wonder if it is another mark up item for the NSX??

Oh my, it is not 5-30. If you were to actually by a bottle and open it you would get the idea. Likely a mixture of gear oil and a lighter viscosity oil.

If your gears are notchy go get GM syncromesh. I had a fifth gear syncro going bad, and my gears were notchy. I got 3 quarts of this stuff, and not a problem since. It is about 9$ a quart though, kinda expensive, but beats replacing the syncros right now.

I've also heard GM syncromesh is the best. I don't have any experience with though. I will probably stick with the Honda stuff cuz I'm a sucker.:cool:

Considering Honda MTF is about $3 a qt. A $10 oil change for the trans would not label anyone a "sucker":):).

The 1991 service manual states: 10W30 or 10W40 that exceeds "SE" rating. All the cars I work on get Honda MTF, it works fine:).

My $.02,
LarryB

Last edited:
Larry Bastanza said:
Considering Honda MTF is about $3 a qt. A $10 oil change for the trans would not able anyone a "sucker":):).

The 1991 service manual states: 10W30 or 10W40 that exceeds "SE" rating. Alll the cars I work on get Honda MTF, it works fine:).

My $.02,
LarryB

You're absolutely right. Just bought the HONDA MTF. I think I have the regular motor oil in there now. When did the MTF come out?

Back