• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

mod focus: Steering Hubs

I've received lots of e-mails lately asking about steering hubs. Here is some information to address those questions.

Aftermarket steering hubs and steering wheels are one of the best mods for the NSX and one of the best "bang for the buck" mods. A hub and steering wheel will cost between $400-500.

An aftermarket steering hub and steering wheel replace the factory airbag/steering wheel assy. Due to this; this modification is for "off road use only".

ADVANTAGES
-------------------------------------
This mod has several advantages including:
1. Lighter steering assy results in more precise and sharper steering feedback.
2. Smaller diameter wheels allow for precise and quicker steering inputs.
3. Better grip can be achieved when a steering wheels with high grip material is used (ie. suede). etc...

CONSTRUCTION
Steering hubs in general are simple devices that connect the steering rack's spindle to the steering wheel. The stock steering wheel/airbag assembly serves the same purpose; however, an aftermarket hub allows you to connect an aftermarket steering wheel. The hubs for the NSX are designed to be used with Sparco, MOMO, OMP, or any steering wheel with the 6 bolt configuration. You can see the steering wheels offered by ScienceofSpeed here: http://www.sparcousa.com/steeringwheels.htm

hub_diagram.gif

HORN & CRUISE CONTROL FUNCTIONS:
Wires to switches on the steering wheel running from the console could stretch and break from the constant rotation of the steering wheel. Thus, special consideration must be made for electrical switches located on the steering wheel.

The stock steering wheel uses a device called a clock reel for this. The factory clock reel has pins that allow the steering console and steering wheel sides to rotate independently. With this approach, there are no wires to pull or snap from rotating the steering wheel.

TYPES OF STEERING HUBS:
There are three types of steering hubs available for the NSX:

1. Fixed steering hub with riggers

sos_steering_hub_sparco_ext.jpg

“ScienceofSpeed Steering Hub”

The steering hubs are fixed (made to remain attached to the steering column) and are generally made out of steel. They consist of a base that attaches to the spindle, and riggers (support arms) that attach to the steering wheel. In theory, the riggers are designed to collapse in the case of an accident, distributing the force of the impact. The NSX-R, NSX Type-S, and ScienceofSpeed Steering Hub are of this type. It is possible to retain horn functions with this hub, however, these hubs do not work with the factory cable reel. The hubs have a brass ring around the base that connects to the horn button on the steering hub. An interface must be built between the hub’s brass ring and the steering console to complete circuit for the horn button. While I have not seen an NSX-R in person, I believe Honda uses an M8 bolt location on the console to position a spring loaded contact to complete the circuit with the hub’s brass ring.

ADVANTAGES: light, collapsible riggers
DISADVANTAGES: does not work with the factory cable reel

2. Solid fixed steering hub

GT%20BOSS.jpg

“TAITEC Steering Hub”

The solid fixed type steering hub is typically machined billet aluminum. The Mugen, GruppeM, Phase, Revolution, and TAITEC hubs are of this type, and have parts sourced from the same manufacture in Japan. These hubs allow the use of the factory cable reel and are made specifically for the NSX. The TAITEC hub, for example, is supplied with the required wires to bypass the SRS light, and connect the horn. In addition, you may wire the cruise control buttons to the steering wheel. Because they are made from a solid piece of billet, they do not have the crumple riggers, and are somewhat heavy.

ADVANTAGES: utilize factory cable reel
DISADVANTAGES heavy, no crumple riggers

3. Quick release, pivot hubs

The steering hubs are designed for race use. These steering hubs either allow quick separation of the steering hub and steering wheel, or pivot upwards to allow quick access in and out of the car, especially helpful when the car is equipped with a roll cage. In general, these steering hubs do not have any type of appropriation for the horn or cruise control buttons.

ADVANTAGES: quick access in and out of the car
DISADVANTAGES: heavy, no crumple riggers, to appropriations for the horn, cruise

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

I have tried two different products on the ScienceofSpeed NSX:

1. ScienceofSpeed Steering Hub
This hub was used with the Sparco Ring Suede and Sparco Extreme 2 steering wheel. I mounted the cruise control buttons on the steering console (below the steering wheel). I used the horn button on the steering wheel, and had to wire a contact to the console to create the circuit with the steering hub.

2. TAITEC Steering Hub
This was my favored approach. I used the TAITEC Steering Hub with the Sparco Ring Suede steering wheel with the Sparco Control buttons. This hub utilizes the factory cable reel, so I was able to retain the horn function on the steering wheel, while placing the cruise functions on the accessory buttons that the Sparco Control kit offers. While this hub is heavier than the ScienceofSpeed hub, the bulk of the weight is positioned in the center, so the rotational inertia is not greatly affected.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Chris,

You left out:

DISADVANTAGES
This mod has several disadvantages including:

1. Cost.

2. Inability to provide airbag protection for the driver. In the event of an accident, the combination of an airbag and a seat belt will reduce injuries and fatalities compared with the use of a seat belt alone.

Given these two disadvantages, your use of the phrase "bang for the buck" seems rather ironic, no?
wink.gif

Obviously, each of us should carefully consider all factors, both positive and negative, in deciding which modifications suit our own personal preferences, including aesthetics, performance, and risks.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 09 February 2002).]

>> 1. Cost

Disadvantage being cost? Do you expect mods to be free? I think you're being ridiculous.

>> 2. Inability to provide airbag protection for the driver.

As stated above, an aftermarket hub requires removal of the airbag, thus, it is sold for off-road use only. I assumed members of this board are intelligent enough to make the leap of logic that airbag protection would no longer be offered if the airbag is removed. Thanks for spelling it out though ;-)

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

I took some photos this weekend to demonstrate how the clock reel works.

DSC02505.JPG

steering rack spindle shown with steering wheel and cable reel removed (the cable reel is the thing on the ground)

DSC02506.JPG

clock reel mounted and installed. The forward half of the clock reel screws into the steering console and attaches to the cable harness under the steering console. The rear half rotates along with the steering wheel due to the two pins (black) shown. This allows the the cables to rotate with out bending.

DSC02507.JPG

You can see the cables poking through the hub. These cables (with the factory steering wheel) provide power to the airbag upon firing, and switches for the cruise and horn.

DSC02508.JPG

TAITEC hub all mounted and installed. The TAITEC hub provides for 1. shuting off the SRS warning lamp, 2. connecting the horn. In addition, cruise control may be kept by wiring in two buttons as show in the photo on the bottom.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

I recently installed the SOS hub in my NSX with a MOMO steering wheel... This is by far one of the best mods that I have done so far. You would all be suprised how heavy the OEM steering wheel is with the airbag. The NSX now feels like my good'ole '87 MR2. It makes the car feel so much lighter and allows you to make quick inputs much easier. Anyone who thinks their car feels good now, should try to drive someone with a non-OEM steering wheel. I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

check it out installed here: http://media.granturismo.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album12&id=aam

What aftermarket steering wheels are popular ?? What is OE on the NSX-R? rebadged Momo?

Prefer a solution that retains horn and cruise control buttons.

Originally posted by cojones:
What aftermarket steering wheels are popular ?? What is OE on the NSX-R? rebadged Momo?

Prefer a solution that retains horn and cruise control buttons.

I am going with sos taitec hub and this wheel
momo race 80 http://www.centralcoastweb.com/nsxb/pages/mainframe.html
check out the pic and wire harness diagram that ed did.with that you could use the sos hub instead of taitec.when you go to the site just hit the mods tab at top and scroll to momo wheel.
best regards david

[This message has been edited by BadCarma (edited 12 June 2002).]

I always planned on commenting on this but haven't gotten around to it yet:

I installed the taitec hub w/ the sparco steering wheel. Great, wonderful, incredible mod.

My car feels like a true race car. Quick steering response w/ the sway bars, type-r front chassis bar, and koni/eibachs combo, are fed through the sparco ring with precise action.

Once, I had a big ugly doully truck (I have bad experiences with these trucks) pull in front of me as I was changing lanes to go around him/her from the center lane. The truck cut me off then slammed on the brakes. I had to cut back into the center lane quickly. So fast infact that my tail started to fishtail. I kept cool and snap adjusted and regained control. The steering response was so precise and so right on, I was impressed.

Chris,
I just want to thank you for a informative post. Great way to advertise. You and your compadres at SOS need to keep up the good work and the sence of humor you all share. You guys are just another reason that I own the car that I do. You will hear from me as soon as Uncle Sam give me my $$$$$. Not the steering mod, but some new exhaust.

-peace-

Can anbody tell me approximately how long it takes to replace the hub and wheel my an experienced tech. I have a dali hub and steering wheel sitting in my closet for over a year now. After this post, I am going to put it on.:D

Danny

Chris,
Approximately how much is the weight difference between the SOS and Taitec hubs? It would seem that if it were no more than a few pounds that the weight difference would be negligable (especially in the center of the wheel like you said). Thanks for the great info.

What is OE on the NSX-R? rebadged

I'm pretty sure it's a momo wheel.

The science of speed rapid hub was my pick and has the looks. Paired with the momo race wheel.

Cannot wait until it arrives, thanks again Chris!:D

I just want to chime in with my SoS Rapid Steering Wheel Hub experience. I just added this mod about a month ago and am very very happy with it. Let me just say that I was seriously impressed with the quality of the construction. A real work of art IMHO, made out of a solid hunk of aluminum as it should be.

Oh, and I should point out that this is a *new* product compared to the date this thread started, so it bears mentioning that this product does work with the factory cable reel.

DannyC said:
Can anbody tell me approximately how long it takes to replace the hub and wheel my an experienced tech.
I've done this mod twice now. The first time is always the hardest, though for me, that was at least 8 years ago on my 94 Integra whoz steering column design is almost identical. This past month, it took me about 1 hour on the NSX, though I did have the shop manual to reference. Overall, I'd say it is an easy mod to do yourself.

I would like to point out there's another approach to that too...

I bought a "HKB" Hub from HK during my honey moon trip there; surprisingly the hub can also be used in a civic... Now some of you may already know, it fits but it's way too short. (when you compare the civic steering wheel and the nsx wheel you'd immediately noticed the diff.) Too bad that I was too busy there for my wedding and I didn't have a clean mind for it. The hub comes with a "Honda" horn which is sort of an old design, and also the wiring/resistor to bypass the airbag lights, which they sell around $50 a piece.

I also bought a quick release (made in Taiwan) ... I think there's some lessons learnt there... I pretty much like the whole set up, but out of the 3 quick release I bought in Taiwan, there's one doesn't line up at center, 2 is a little loose... I had the same one and used in my daily driver for 3 years, none of those happens to that one, and they are made by the same manufacturer.

With the quick release, my steering wheel is moved a little closer to me, but definately it's not close enough... so I'm going to buy a Sparco 50mm hub spacer just for that.

The spacer is in the mail so I can't tell how will it do as of today yet; but for now I like my new steering wheel set up, but with it being a little too close, I have to sit a little straight for a better reach of the steering wheel, and sit a little farther than I'd like since my legs are hitting the bottom of the steering wheel when I heel&toe... I'm 5ft7 so to those tall people, it could be not too bad of the problem.

As much as I like vendors like SOS, Dali... etc who spent their time to make a perfect kit. I just liket to provide an option for everyone who is willing to take a little trial and error, a more affordable way.

Here's what I had spent:

$50 for the HKB hub.
$65 for the quick release
$130 for the Momo Tuner wheels ( the same as the R wheel)
*$60 for the Sparco hub spacer
**$45 for the Sparco hub mounted horn bottons.

* As I mentioned above, this is totally depends on your body frame and driving position.

** Since I have the quick release, I decided not to have any wiring mess everytime I attach/detach the wheel, thus I went ahead and order the horn buttons. (which is the exact same one Chris using on his cars. See pics on his posts.)

Like I mentioned before, "I'm probably the cheapest guys in the nsx community" :p

I don't think anyone has attempted this modification, but I would love to see the Honda S2000 steering wheel on an NSX. Best OEM sports wheel IMO. It would also retain the airbag.

bboxer said:
I don't think anyone has attempted this modification, but I would love to see the Honda S2000 steering wheel on an NSX. Best OEM sports wheel IMO. It would also retain the airbag.

But I have seen DC5 (current Integra/RSX) wheels put on a S2000... I would say It should work, but I suspect that the horn and cruise control switch might be different.

Ha!! I know who we need to ask, you know, someone who specializing "revolutionized" NSX and S2000 on his web site....:D
(Chris? Seth?? ) :D

Back