• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Modifications You Regret Making

I have these great big Brembo brakes on the front of my car, and while they look good and offer tremendous stopping power, I'm a little frustrated by the way they restrict the choices that are available to me when it comes time to buy a new set of wheels (which is now). To be honest, the stock brakes really aren't bad at all, and I'm not sure how much of that decision to "upgrade" to Brembos was motivated by vanity rather than by the assurance of actual improvements in braking performance.

I wonder if anybody else out there may have regrets about certain changes they've done to their car over time, and what they did about it in the end.

I tried a K&N cone shaped air filter. I decided that it didn't add any power, only sound, and became concerned about the possibility that it might not filter as well as the stock air filter. I returned it to stock.

I have one too, and I also can't say with any conviction that it adds any power whatsoever. But the sound does seem more aggressive, and well, at least it's not something you'd have to change if it got dirty....you can just wash it.

I think another selling point for those cone-shaped air-filters, like the Brembos and other aftermarket braking systems, is that they look damn good! Oh the vanity of men! :D

Lazarus, I can help you with your regrets. Send me your front brakes and I'll send you mine.:) Seriously, I wish I hadn't purchased a GroupeM spoiler. It was entirely too low for my car and eventually it ended up in a field in Kansas. Big waste of $$$$.
Also, if you look at my avatar you will see a yellow car that is absolutely full of upgrades that I regret(ed). Not a NSX, but still makes me wish.

Len> Yeah, I agree. Kansas was a big waste of money. :D

But seriously, did you get a chance to check out how low they would be when installed on your car before you actually bought them? I have this strange penchant to always look on the optimistic side of things, thinking "oh, it'll work out okay, I'm sure", whenever I make a decision to add or change something on my car and a lot of times it works out fine, but boy, when they bomb, I feel like an idiot.

You know, sometimes, I think that cars like the NSX and the 911 are pretty hard to improve on. Okay, maybe cosmetically, you can always do things to make them look just the way you want them to, but from a performance point-of-view, is it somewhat naive to think that we can do better than the engineers at Honda or Porsche, who must surely have considered all the pros and cons of what does and doesn't go into these cars before they end up in the showroom?

Lazarus, It looked good on the car. I knew it was entirely too low for me to run around a bumpy track with it on. I was lazy and like you said, vanity, it looked soo good. That is, until I was taking off what was left and putting it into the trash. Now I have the Wings West spoiler, it's just sitting in the cabinet, in the garage.

I am looking for wheels for my car now, I am taking my time with the ordering. I want the offsets and the colors to be just right.
They have to fit over the Big Brake kit that I am about to buy.;)

len3.8 said:
Lazarus, It looked good on the car. I knew it was entirely too low for me to run around a bumpy track with it on. I was lazy and like you said, vanity, it looked soo good. That is, until I was taking off what was left and putting it into the trash. Now I have the Wings West spoiler, it's just sitting in the cabinet, in the garage.

I am looking for wheels for my car now, I am taking my time with the ordering. I want the offsets and the colors to be just right.
They have to fit over the Big Brake kit that I am about to buy.;)

Wow, best of luck to you on that purchase. I'm very hesitant to lay down money on ordering new wheels because two wheel/tire shops I've spoken to have told me they won't know for sure whether the offsets that they "think" will work on the fronts will ACTUALLY work or not, at least not until the wheels have actually arrived from Japan and they've had a chance to put them on the car. They're not exactly giving me a lot of confidence right now. :confused:

re

I dont have anything valuable to add but i do have a question..
Are the k+n filters worth getting? Does it make the car sound more aggressive, or should I just put on a set of slip-ons

Muligan> Well, if it's an aggressive sound you're after on your car, then yes, the K&N filter will be of some help. What other benefits they might eventually offer is still open to debate, apparently. You might also want to consider getting an aftermarket exhaust too, and in that regard, I'm sure you'll get plenty of different opinions as to which brand is best.

Good luck.
:)

HR springs- too low for NE Pa. roads.Hawk blue pads too hard for street driving and dust takes paint off the quarter panels.

My HKS air filter. Now without the stock air filter box my engine compartment look more empty.

Putting on Konis and Eibach springs.

Not that I'm really unhappy with them. It's just that maybe I should've done more research and ponied up to get full coilovers (Teins perhaps) for adjustability.

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the only thing that needed changing on the (pre-'02) NSX was the rear apron, which should really have been extended another 2 or 3 inches lower on the sides. Everything else with the original car was really quite perfect.

Of course, Honda took it upon themselves to progressively implement improvements along the way, all of which I'm sure were thoughtful and thoroughly considered, and I'd be the last person to stand in the way of progress. But fundamentally, from day one, NA1 has been just about the most perfect sports car that's ever hit the road, and I feel very fortunate to have one.

nsxtasy said:
I tried a K&N cone shaped air filter. I decided that it didn't add any power, only sound, and became concerned about the possibility that it might not filter as well as the stock air filter. I returned it to stock.

OH MY GOD!! KEN WENT MOD ON US!!! All be it for a very short time.:D

Juice said:
OH MY GOD!! KEN WENT MOD ON US!!! All be it for a very short time.:D
I didn't mention the other half dozen mods I've made, that I'm quite happy with. But I do agree that the car was darn near perfect when it came from the factory...

Damn, forgot to mention the one thing I didn't really like about the NSX: the interior. In particular, the quality of the leather could have been (much) better, the switchgear could have been more Lexus-like (gee, for the kind of money a new NSX cost...), and the stereo should have been more premium (or at the very least, Honda should have given more latitude to owners to modify their stereos with greater ease). The general ergonomics were top-notch, though, and I wouldn't change that one bit, but the overall refinement of the surface materials and the feel of the switchgear are two of the things that I hope Honda/Acura will seriously address in the new iteration of this car.

nsxtasy said:
I didn't mention the other half dozen mods I've made, that I'm quite happy with. But I do agree that the car was darn near perfect when it came from the factory...

But if I didn't tease, than it wouldn't be me! Or should I start in on all the headaches that my HIGHLY modded car has brought on. I can almost see the grin crossing your face Ken.;)

Lazarus said:
In particular, the quality of the leather could have been (much) better
It's not the quality of the leather; the quality is actually top-notch. Unfortunately, they decided to apply a sealer to it, which (among other effects) prevents the natural fragrance of the leather from emanating. I have heard that the natural smell of leather is considered unpleasant to the Japanese. That's unfortunate, because to me, it is part of the luxury car experience. Step inside a Lexus, and it smells like a shoe store. Mmmmm...

Juice said:
But if I didn't tease, than it wouldn't be me!
I knew you were just joshing me. ;)

Juice said:
Or should I start in on all the headaches that my HIGHLY modded car has brought on.
Isn't that what this topic was supposed to be about?

Mugen

73000-XG2-K4S0_3.jpg

Anyone did this? $5800.00

Tan

Tan, that looks utterly useless

You've already got a ram air system built into your car through the side air vent, what's the point of spending 6k to install one in a different place?

Re: Tan, that looks utterly useless

slashmatt said:
You've already got a ram air system built into your car through the side air vent, what's the point of spending 6k to install one in a different place?
Are you kidding! That setup, yes expensive!, looks like the ultimate air setup I have ever seen. Think of the air pressure that builds up in that compartment with it being totally sealed. Pressure = forced air.
I think the problem with the side vents ram air are:
1. Dangerous if it rains. water will be sucked straight up that tube.
2. There is no compartment for air pressure to build up but it acts more like a cold air intake though.

I will never pay that muck for that kit though! But I think that the volume of air in that compartment at a higher pressure than atmospheric pressure is a great advantage and provides a more constant forced air. I Live here in colorado, "mile hi" and I hear how much faster the cars are at sea level. Roughly 1 whole second in the 1/4 mile.

It took me 30 years, but I finally found the cure for Modificationitis. What you do is modify a street car ( race cars don't count - being lowered down in the pine box is the only cure for Metastic Racinoma ) so heavily that it is virtually impossible to drive. At the very least you want to get to the point where you are never sure when you leave if you will arrive at your destination. The ultimate of course is a car that you have to register in a far off state because it can never pass any inspection in your own state.

After you sell this car be sure to perform this calculation:

Money From the Sale

- Money Spent on the Car ( your labor is valued @ zero )

Large Negative Number

At any sign of the old urges perform the calculation again !!!:D

Two mods I have regretted are:
1. K&N airfilter. Netted as much RWHP as a carwash. I have a Dyno comparison.
2. Exedy Clutch should be number one for sorry mods for me. In short, it is definetely not for street driving. It will be perfect for you if all you do is toe your car to the drag racing track and run the 1/4 mile. I will save the details

Back